Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's this theory?

Default How's this theory?

Having been on this board for the last several days, I have combed through many posts about DLs and ABs. The DLs being those who do not need diapers, but just like wearing them. Then, there are the ABs who are into role play. And then there are those who are actually incon and need protection, for understandable reasons.

Having studied many support groups, and even having asked a manufacturer or two, I am beginning to form a theory. There may be yet a fourth group, which does not fit any of the categories above. These people are highly secretive, and will do everything in their power to NOT disclose the fact that they wear these products on a daily basis. However, they cannot function very well without them, some can even suffer real physical pain from an actual skin condition. I will define this group as "Clothing Sensitive" or "CS" for short.

My theory is, that the CS would be looking for a product that is discrete, to the degree of being undetectable. Yet, always there to do the intended function of keeping the skin clean, dry, and comfortable to either minimize an inflammation or to manage a sensory condition. Some may choose a pull-on, or perhaps a "brief" with Velcro tabs that make for convenient use of the restroom. Others will use a size-6 diaper and use that as a pad (and yes, manufactures are aware that there are adults who use their products for this purpose).

My question: Could these people exist? May there be any lurking on this board? If so, then perhaps there could be some call for a new support group to benefit this population. One where symptoms can be discussed with the utmost dignity and respect. Where products can be researched and info presented that would ease some of the decision making for this group. One that, for the first time, could help these people feel validated as productive members of society. Does this sound like an idea that would work? Feel free to chime in.

Honeywell

Diapers are harsher on the skin then most anything else. Someone who was "clothes sensitive" would probably be a nudist

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaL View Post
    Diapers are harsher on the skin then most anything else. Someone who was "clothes sensitive" would probably be a nudist

Or wear cloth diapers.

Cloth diapers aren't any better for your skin, really. If you're having a problem with normal clothes, the last thing I could think of would be something that's basically just really thick clothes. I don't get what the advantage would be? I mean, a cloth diaper is cotton, or terrycloth, or birdseye. How is that better then ... cotton briefs? Or boxers, even?

Perhaps it exists. Perhaps not. I personally think that while it is fully reasonable that something like this could happen, that it is just confusing for everyone to come up with more and more labels. It is just the action of the human brain trying to categorise things. I personally understand how someone could feel this, and would be interested to see if anyone does actually consider themselves partially or fully to fit into this new category you have come up with. However, I think adding new categories just causes more problems as people have difficulty coping when they move outside their category.

In my opinion, you like what you like because you like it. As long as it isn't causing harm to other people I don't really care. So I think this is possible, but I don't think that adding new categories will help at all. I imagine that however many categories you have you are going to mainly just produce more people who fit into most or all of them. Nice theory, though.

The only people I have talked to that might fit into your Clothing Sensitive category weren't particulary secretive about it. I admit to having some interest in the accumulation of information in the many, varying aspects of this overal urge/interest, but I think without some real rigor behind it (which is simply not possible over the Internet), we're unlikely to uncover anything more than the occasional glimmer of what's at work. A lot of us agree on very broad strokes of it (diapers are neat, etc.), but there's so much variation in cause and expression of the interest that I think we're really just a bunch of people with an interest that superficially appears similar that really isn't very similar at all.

So good luck with the categorization, it's not uninteresting, and something worthwhile might come of it. Still, I'm going to focus most of my efforts on getting to know individuals.

Cloth diapers aren't any better for your skin, really. If you're having a problem with normal clothes, the last thing I could think of would be something that's basically just really thick clothes. I don't get what the advantage would be? I mean, a cloth diaper is cotton, or terrycloth, or birdseye. How is that better then ... cotton briefs? Or boxers, even?
    There are some differences between this, and really thick clothes. For one, a cloth diaper isn't likely to have any harsh seams when it's folded properly. Then, there's the material it would typically be made out of: A soft, woven cotton that's several layers thick. This would help provide a barrier between the skin, and rough outer clothing surfaces. This would work sort of like the gears in a transmission case, where they remain protected to minimize wear and tear while they do their work.

A typical cotton brief is paper thin, and of a highly stretchy knit material. Some even contain a 50% polyester or rayon. and this greatly increases the potential exposure to rough seams, zippers, and scratchy denim, wool, or synthetic fabric. Having done some research on this, I know of some folks who wear absolutely nothing under that rough and tough pair of jeans, yet suffer no ill affect. Yet, there are others who cannot wear certain types of wool or roughly-textured slacks/shirts, etc.

And then, there are the preferred pressure points that add some compression to consider, along with the added insulation. Of course, at this point we're into something that's quite mechanical, with very limited to non-existent psychiatric or emotional overtones. Think of it this way: Why do some outboard motors call for a certain oil, at a certain percentage (50 to 1, for example) to be mixed in with their gasoline? It's obvious that it helps keep the piston, rod, bearings, and other parts cool, reduces friction, and keeps the engine from seizing up.

Is this getting interesting?

Honeywell
    Last edited by Honeywell6180; 17-Oct-2008 at 10:45.

I know someone on another forum who is allergic to something in disposable diapers. So that's what I was talking about when saying cloth diapers. Although I also see what you mean.