Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scotch

Question Scotch

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    I realize this wasn't directed at me, so I apologize for two things.

First, for inviting myself into the middle of a conversation.

Second, I know I asked you something very similar to your question to LazyAB a couple of weeks ago, and you did me the favor of responding. I saw your answer and considered it, but at the time, I wasn't in any mood to respond to anybody with any amount of pleasantry. I apologize for blowing you off.

So, my answer to the question: I enjoy ideas. I enjoy considering ideas, hearing of new ideas, smashing ideas against each other to see if there's delicious goo on the inside or if one will just smash the other. I also enjoy planting the seeds of new ideas, or at least ideas that are new to someone else. That's also part of why I don't debate the substance of religion versus Atheism anymore. I've largely seen the ideas that will be thrown at each other, and really, the topic is not exceptionally fertile ground for anything except animosity and anger. The topic itself is mostly a way for one to flail righteously at a wall. However, ideas at the margins of the topic I feel are worth the time and energy, and I feel like those might plant the seeds for new ideas to grow. One does not shove an entire steak into one's mouth, but rather one eats it a bit at a time.

I suspect that if we met each other in real life, we might get on reasonably well. And, you did mention you enjoy scotch. That makes your stock jump a couple of points.

Ah, Pascal's Wager. The trick, though, is that there are so many versions of god and so many different belief schemes, and a significant number of them stipulate that their flavor of god and their doctrines are the only correct one. How's a guy to choose which one is correct? What are the odds that you'll choose the right one? Who's to say you don't need magic underwear, or to drink the alcoholic blood of the crucified son, or to fight the infidels and pray facing a certain town in the Middle East, or to seek enlightenment and inner peace, or to smoke hallucinogenic substances and see spirits, or to go 'round and 'round until you've become a cow, or to buy credits until you gain superpowers granted by an alien race that once visited earth?

If you're playing religion based on the odds, you're placing a really really long bet, based purely on the sheer number of religious and non-religious choices on the table upon which you might place your wager.
    I agree, I think we would have some fun conversations in the R/L setting. As to scotch...its a vice bordering on fetish. I am the typical cliche scotch snob with a collection. i take it so seriously that in my cabinet the speysides are separated from the others by a wall. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    I agree, I think we would have some fun conversations in the R/L setting. As to scotch...its a vice bordering on fetish. I am the typical cliche scotch snob with a collection. i take it so seriously that in my cabinet the speysides are separated from the others by a wall. LOL
    oh really? tell me, what do you like to put in your scotch?

[Large Grin and chuckle]
    Lazy AB If I ever get to meet you in person, I promise I will buy you a glass of fine scotch.
    I've never actually had scotch. Got any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    I usually tell people to start with Johnnie Walker. If the field of Whiskey ranges from Kia to Aston Martin, then JW is Cadillac- nicely in the middle. Personally, I'm a fan of Jameson. It's Irish Whiskey, not Scotch Whiskey, but if you're not experienced with Whiskey you won't know the difference. What I like about it is that it can be drank at or slightly above room temperature. So if I'm going out, I can pack it in a flask and don't need to worry about body heat warming it up. In fact, it's rather delightful when you're outside in the middle of winter with a flask of Jameson slightly warmed from being carried in a pocket. I took such a flask when I went caroling with my church a few days before last Christmas. Never did I have so much fun caroling.

It can be tempting to start off with a low-range bottle, but I don't recommend it. For a long time I thought I hated tequila. Then I tried Patron. Turns out I love tequila, and low-brow tequila objectively tastes like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    oh really? tell me, what do you like to put in your scotch?
    AHH loaded and very much a trick question lol. Honestly it will depend on the scotch, some of the Speyside scotchs need to be on the rocks to bring out the full flavor, others are best when neat. For example Glenlivet 18 yr oak cask I find best with 3, 1/2 once ice cubes in the glass then pour the scotch till the ice is just covered, let sit for a few minutes till it blends and then sink into heaven with a good black cherry tobacco in a long pipe like a churchwarden. But when I drink Aberfeldy, that one is wonderful neat with rose tobacco in a Turkish meerschaum pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    Scotch is a very personal taste and can get nasty expensive. I would start with Glenlivet 12 year on the rocks, Johnny Walker Green, either neat or on the rocks.
    Last edited by Nihlus; 22-May-2012 at 05:25. Reason: Merging posts

AHH loaded and very much a trick question lol. Honestly it will depend on the scotch, some of the Speyside scotchs need to be on the rocks to bring out the full flavor, others are best when neat. For example Glenlivet 18 yr oak cask I find best with 3, 1/2 once ice cubes in the glass then pour the scotch till the ice is just covered, let sit for a few minutes till it blends and then sink into heaven with a good black cherry tobacco in a long pipe like a churchwarden. But when I drink Aberfeldy, that one is wonderful neat with rose tobacco in a Turkish meerschaum pipe.
    I always pictured you looking like your avatar.

Now I picture you looking like a dapper British gentleman with a thinking jacket and a wingback chair.

Quote Originally Posted by AEsahaettr View Post
    I always pictured you looking like your avatar.

Now I picture you looking like a dapper British gentleman with a thinking jacket and a wingback chair.
    ROFL. Man, I am the only guy in my department with tattoos and a motorcycle.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    Alternatively, Glenlivet 12-Year with a splash of water will do nicely. The ice melts and opens up some of the flavors, giving you the same effect as a splash of water, but it also chills it down and knocks down some of the more interesting flavors. Two fingers with a splash of water and you're sitting on Easy Street.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:43 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

A splash of mildly warm water? or is water temperature important?

Whiskeys are best drank a little bit above room temperature. To note, I mentioned in a previous thread that whiskey is great to carry in a metal flask. The few degrees it'll gain from body heat carried in a metal flask in a pocket will make it sing. I've never heard of adding water, though.

FYI, the terms whiskey and Scotch are somewhat interchangeable. Scotch is simply whiskey from Scotland. Jameson is Irish whiskey. There are a few others but those are the well regarded ones.

I usually do room temp for both the water and the whiskey. Such was the advice I was given by scotch drinkers much more learned than I am, and it's treated me well thus far. The only time I do on the rocks is if it's cheap stuff.

Tequila, on the other hand, I do on the rocks. I have no particular qualms with doing Scotch on the rocks, either, if that's your thing. I just find that the warmer temps reveal some really neat flavors.

At its core your are right BUT as a snob I emphasize that whiskey can come from anywhere but only a true scotch comes from Scotland lol

Kinda like Bourbon is whiskey from Kentucky.