Thread: Kindle fire problem

Question Kindle fire problem

My kindle fire had the 6.2.1 update when I rooted it, and I installed the (then) Android market. So all goes well, then Amazon pushed out the 6.2.2 update and removed the rooting I had done. Nothing really major.

Now onto the problem, I recently updated the Amazon Kindle app from the Android market (aka Google Play) and it managed to messup the default launcher that displays the book carousel, nothing showed there except for the favorites.

And nothing would display under the "Docs" tab, and I can't open PDFs like I used to. But then it started to display my e-books there but not PDFs. However, the books displayed now have pixelated covers and open through the new kindle app.

I was just wondering if I would need to root to restore the original kindle app meant specifically for the kindle fire. I have a backup of it from when I had a backup app. Or do you think I should just wait for Amazon to push a new kindle fire update to automatically rewrite or fix the kindle app issue?

Because I'm pretty sure when I updated it through the Android Market that the firmware was rewritten with the new unintended app. I should have known better but here I am. I'm not expecting a miracle, and this isn't a time-critical matter. Anything is appreciated though.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk053 View Post
    My kindle fire had the 6.2.1 update when I rooted it, and I installed the (then) Android market. So all goes well, then Amazon pushed out the 6.2.2 update and removed the rooting I had done. Nothing really major.

Now onto the problem, I recently updated the Amazon Kindle app from the Android market (aka Google Play) and it managed to messup the default launcher that displays the book carousel, nothing showed there except for the favorites.

And nothing would display under the "Docs" tab, and I can't open PDFs like I used to. But then it started to display my e-books there but not PDFs. However, the books displayed now have pixelated covers and open through the new kindle app.

I was just wondering if I would need to root to restore the original kindle app meant specifically for the kindle fire. I have a backup of it from when I had a backup app. Or do you think I should just wait for Amazon to push a new kindle fire update to automatically rewrite or fix the kindle app issue?

Because I'm pretty sure when I updated it through the Android Market that the firmware was rewritten with the new unintended app. I should have known better but here I am. I'm not expecting a miracle, and this isn't a time-critical matter. Anything is appreciated though.
    Hang on, if I remember correctly(it's been a while since I rooted anything), rooting should remove the OTA firmware updates. Might just be when you ROM it though. I wouldn't do anything until you've been to Android & Windows Phone: Tablets, Apps, & ROMs @ xda-developers . Reed the rules, search before asking questions, and be respectful and they will be really helpful.

I would guess you've already been there as you rooted your Fire. Did you leave it stock or throw CyanogenMod on it?

EDIT: Your update may just have been botched. Something might have went wrong during install. In any case, just remove the root and factory reset. Should fix things up.
    Last edited by DrummerDude; 18-May-2012 at 02:15. Reason: Thought of something else to add.

Well, the root was removed with update 6.2.2, it's just that because I updated the kindle app from the Android Market rather than leaving it alone I messed up the default kindle app made specifically for the fire. I wouldn't use XDA since I don't go often. I screwed up the ROM apparently, guess I'll wait for the next major kindle update to fix it.

Also root will not remove the forced updating, however if I'd known to remove the silent updater while I was rooted I wouldn't had to have worried about how to fix the problem without rooting since I could easily restore the previous version with a backup. Sigh, I'm too stupid sometimes.

The update fixed nothing today when I installed, nothing botched at all. And factory reset is not an option since that's when all is lost and there is no option left at all. And yes I left it stock, I was too afriad to mess something up. Thanks for the help anyway.