Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Vice Presidential Candidates 2008 Debate

Default American Vice Presidential Candidates 2008 Debate

Discuss it here. (I will likely edit this post later)

All of my usual Republican proselytizing aside...

... for as much as I think that Sarah Palin is a charismatic candidate, I believe she has a lot to learn (much like Obama) of the intricacies and specifics that define her potential future role. Inexperience speaks louder than experience -- after awhile, I wanted to shake her by the shoulders and ask her, please, to stop referring to her family because she clearly had no other supports for her opinions.

Biden clearly knew how to speak policy and how to sling historical fact and experience. For as much as I don't necessarily like him, I can readily admit that I think he knew his information far better than Governor Palin, and has had more experience being able to bring it out in formal debate. The problem that I have with Biden is that he seems... slippery. Sly. Elusive. He seems like a politician.

I still know who I'm voting for; I just believe that Palin needs more time to prepare. She's not just speaking for Alaska anymore.

And if I ****ing have to hear the word maverick one more time, I'm going to call jihad on it.

All I can say is, that Tina Fey portrays a smarter Palin than the real one

lol

"What I did in/for Alaska"

After the 3rd time, I stared at my tv and said "Go ahead, TELL US WHAT YOU DID FOR ****ING ALASKA!"

She doesn't belong in this level of politics.. her demeanor alone says it

The comment about " What, I've been here for 5 weeks already?"

Yea...

darn it!!! that was tonight! i had a show :O hmm people wanna fill me in on what happened and yes i heard my dad ranting something about Alaska when i got home i guess now i know....

my favorite part was when she said (paraphrased): I haven't made many promises. I've only been in the race 5 weeks, but I can keep all of the promises I have made.

I really liked Palin tonight. She didn't say anything inspiring, and I still cringe thinking she could have such a powerful position in politics, but I think the debate tonight is going to keep this race a somewhat close one.

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy_Jonas View Post
    darn it!!! that was tonight! i had a show :O hmm people wanna fill me in on what happened and yes i heard my dad ranting something about Alaska when i got home i guess now i know....
    There wasn't anything too special. Palin did her best at not answering the questions and answered what she wanted to answer, but she was full of energy and charismatic. Biden knew his stuff and kept his cool and answered the questions.

There were lots of personal attacks going on, but nothing ground breaking. At the end of the night, no one won.

Quote Originally Posted by Rance View Post
    And if I ****ing have to hear the word maverick one more time, I'm going to call jihad on it.
    good god, i know, right? get your hands on a phucking thesaurus already.

i thought it was a despicable debate, and it made me sad for the state of american politics to watch it. i would never consider voting for anyone but obama -- i can't even conceive of the proportions of the international tragedy that mccain's election to the presidency would represent -- but i was extremely disappointed with biden's presentation.

the whole debate was just one huge, hideous glorification of partisan politics. every once in a while they'd go off on a tangent about their ability to "reach across the aisle," and then they'd go back to spouting off all the most trite clichčed catch phrases they think their party wants to hear. if i was ever called upon to teach a third grade class what democrats and republicans each believe i would simply show them a video of this debate. not once did i hear a single original thought expressed, which is a shame at a time when so many of the issues facing us require pragmatic solutions and compromise.

the discussion of global warming and environmental politics was particularly distressing. palin was all "drill baby drill" and gave us that idiotic spiel about how global warming is largely accounted for by natural climactic cycles. now that's just simply not true: there are NO respectable, peer-reviewed scientific studies published within the last couple of years that still dare to espouse that hackneyed, dated view, and there is SIGNIFICANT evidence that the global trends we're seeing today are almost exclusively the result of human bone-headedness. yet biden's rebuttal was, quote "well i think it's caused by human activity." and he went on to blither hatefully about mccain's environmental track-record. did he mention that it's been conclusively proved to be impossible for domestic oil production to reduce prices by more than 20 cents a gallon by today's currency? no, all we got was a passing reference to the fact that this price reduction wouldn't come into effect for another 15 years. "drill baby drill" is one of the most short-sighed and ignorant mottos ever coined, yet biden's response to it essentially boiled down to nothing more than "oh yeah? well i'm a democrat!"

neither candidate made any effort to address the questions they were asked. they basically ignored the moderator entirely, and just used the debate as an opportunity to read their scripted sound bites off their pieces of paper. if i had to judge their public speaking ability from this debate i'd wonder how either of them has ever gotten elected to any political office at all. their sentences rambled through meaningless clauses for minutes on end and never got anywhere. neither of them appeared self-confident. it was a tense, rehearsed-sounding debate, and i was left with a significantly diminished confidence in either candidate's ability to think independently and accomplish anything concrete or pragmatic.

I watched about the first 45 mins of it then I quit since they kept avoiding EVERY damn question more then any other debates I seen. But it seamed to take Sarah a while to get fired up. Also I think we can all tell that they never say what they really want to say since it would be political suicide.

Darkfinn

Well... this did nothing but further cement my belief that Palin is a braggart country bumpkin who isn't fit to run a nation.

"Say it ain't so Joe!" Give me a break...

Did anyone else notice that every time Sen. Biden answered first, Palin's initial responce was "I agree with Sen. Biden"?

And what was the statement in IRC chat last night... "She dodges questions like Neo dodges bullets." The only thing I saw her give a straight answer to all night was her big fat "NO" on gay marriage.

Yeah... her kind of tolerance is exactly what we need in the white house.

I am glad they discussed McCain's healthcare plan though... I think more people in America needed to hear that in detail.

Joe Biden's experience really did show through here... he had his facts straight and knew exactly what points to make. He had the audience laughing at Palin several times.

I do think the whole thing was a bit on the scripted side... but overall it wasn't too bad.

Edit: Here is a link to a "fact check" on some statements made during the debate.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081003/...ate_fact_check
    Last edited by Darkfinn; 03-Oct-2008 at 16:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfinn View Post
    And what was the statement in IRC chat last night... "She dodges questions like Neo dodges bullets." The only thing I saw her give a straight answer to all night was her big fat "NO" on gay marriage.
    Um they both were dodging questions like Neo which is why I stopped watching. Even the mediator at one point said something like "You both avoid the real question so we will come back to that later" everybody laughed.

Anyways Joe Biden is in a form of Christianity right, do you think he will REALLY support gay marriage?