Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paradox's Grand Strategy Games

Default Paradox's Grand Strategy Games

Does anyone else here play much of Paradox's Grand Strategy games? I currently own most of their current ones (Crusader Kings II, Europa Universalis III: Divine Wind, Victoria II & Hearts of Iron III), and I've found them to be one of my favourite series since I found out about them around a year ago.

For people who do play them, how's your current game going? I'm currently playing Crusader Kings II, as the de Normandie's and I am currently the King of Ireland, England and Wales, plus the Duke of Normandy and Aragon. I've just finished up sending my army on a crusade for Castille, and after all the effort I'd put into winning that (I was responsible for 40% of the warscore), all that they got out of it was a single province. However, the recent implosion of France has more than made up for it, as hopefully I'll be able to invade whichever Duchies win their wars of independence, just as soon as my levies build up enough to go to war again, and my vassals stop hating me for having their troops out.

Also, of the Paradox games, which is your favourite? Crusader Kings II has jumped to the position of being my favourite, a position formerly held by EU3. Victoria II is also good, but it's rather complex for me and I keep losing horribly. HOI3 isn't really my thing however, as it just feels so scripted and so difficult to do anything but recreate WWII. It doesn't really have the same alternate reality possibilities of the other games, partially because of its shorter timespan, and partially because of some of the mechanics, especially those relating to neutrality.

I do. I almost aways have one of those games in progress, currently it's EU3. I'm playing as Milan and seeing if I can form a protestant Italy that colonizes the new world. Almost have all the land I need for Italy, just need to annex Tuscany (who is my vassal) and let it core. I've also colonized the Azores (suck it Portugal) so I should beat everyone across the Atlantic. I think it's the religion switch thats really going to make my game fun in the dwarf fortress sense of the word.

For the rest of my paradox games. I also own CK2 and EU:rome. I also love CrusaderKings 2 so much. for my British isles game I started as the Dunkelds and wound up king of Scotland, England, Ireland, wales, Norway, and France. That game was so rife with heresy(including my own late game kings) I got to holy war though half the word. It was fun.

another thing I found interesting about that play though, I never really intended to get France but it fell to the moors and so when the Scots looked across the English channel, they saw not just the French, but french Muslims. and this so infuriated their sensibilities (no-one else was really in a position to fight Mauritania they had really blobbed up) that they stormed across the channel and took bites out of the north of France until the Dunkelds could lay claim to the French crown.

I've tried on several occasions to get behind them, but they're really difficult to understand at first. I'd love to take the time to learn everything, and get sorted out to be able to enjoy them, but I find myself getting bored before I can. Any tips? I've tried Europa Universalis III thrice now.

I love the games, I just don't get around to playing them often enough as I should. I have EU III, Vicky 2 (I still need to play =/), and HOI III. I also have HoI II, and HoI. Despite having every HoI game, I actually don't play III very much at all, its not my favorite of their games anymore to say the least. Right now EU III is my favorite, even though I'm not great at it due to not playing enough, and being too timid in attack. I want to try Crusader Kings II at some point, as it sounds pretty awesome, but I need more money before I can get it first. In the meantime I've picked up the original just to see how it was, for the hell of it.

My last EU III game was with Holland, which has been painfully slow so far. We've been doing mostly the colonizing game, which gets boring kind of fast. I had been trying the Ottoman empire for awhile but kept failing every time I have it a go. Did an England game which was boring, and my first game was a Spanish game which was pretty easy (especially with Heir to the Throne). Basically I need to find a nation to give a go with, and try to learn to war better, primary problem is avoiding massive cascade wars, and timing (or knowing when to attack without a CB)

Watching an LP of Hearts of Iron III, I'm still confused. I think I'll have a go at Crusader Kings II, because I'm told it's amazing. Then again, I'm told just about any Grand Strat game is amazing, yet I can never wrap my head around them. Puzzle games are stupid easy to me, yet the mechanics to a Grand Strat game completely put me in a coma.

WillosauriestSporer

I'm playing Warlock: Master of Arcane. It's a $40 game for $20.

Quote Originally Posted by WillosauriestSporer View Post
    I'm playing Warlock: Master of Arcane. It's a $40 game for $20.
    It's not really a grand strategy game, but I played the demo considering it looked exactly like Civ V, and I can spent about 35 hours playing Civ V in a single game.

Paradox's games are grand strategy, which go into stupidly intense detail with everything you can do. Watch a gameplay video and get confused; I know I am.

WillosauriestSporer

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    It's not really a grand strategy game, but I played the demo considering it looked exactly like Civ V, and I can spent about 35 hours playing Civ V in a single game.

Paradox's games are grand strategy, which go into stupidly intense detail with everything you can do. Watch a gameplay video and get confused; I know I am.
    Oh, I didn't know that "Grand Strategy Game" was a genre. I thought it was a (I guess) compliment.

Quote Originally Posted by KuroCat View Post
    I've tried on several occasions to get behind them, but they're really difficult to understand at first. I'd love to take the time to learn everything, and get sorted out to be able to enjoy them, but I find myself getting bored before I can. Any tips? I've tried Europa Universalis III thrice now.
    Play a multiplayer game with somebody. I had the same problem as you initially and what helped me was having a friend to explain what I should be focusing on, what I could ignore, and to bail me out when I get invaded by five countries at once.

Secondly, play your first few games as somebody the game tells you to. That's the de Normandie's for CK2, Castille/England/France for EU3, and Germany for HOI3. It's easy when reading LPs of people reuniting Byzantium or conquering Europe as Swabia to want to pick somewhere unusual, but a lot of countries are either very boring, or very difficult.

Thirdly, turn the difficulty down. Because of the nature of the game, there's no shame playing with easy or very easy mode.

Finally, don't start with HOI or Victoria. They're both more complicated than the others, and HOI tends to require a lot of things to be done at once.

this raises a question. If I were to lets play one of these games, either as a blog or a thread, would anybody read it?

and if I were to do one would you rather see me finish my Milan game or do a CK2 game as the duke of Galich?