Thread: Seems I'm lucky to be Australian..

Default Seems I'm lucky to be Australian..

I'm hopping on a plane on Thursday, and it seems like aust is a good place to be a traveling dl. I'm going to pit a drynite under my clothes and the chances of having a pat down are soooo minimal for a domestic flight I haven't even thought about it. Specially as a girl.

Why is security so much more of a concern in the US etc?

Why is airline security worse in the U.S? Simple. 9/11.
    Obviously there's the tightening up on security that causes trouble, but that doesn't nearly account for all of it.

After the 9/11 attacks, there was some public outrage at the fact that most airport security wasn't overseen by the government- most was done by (much more efficient) private contractors. The Transportation Security Administration, or TSA, was created then, and began to take over most airport security, and did a poor job of it too.
    The sad part is, the laws governing the TSA and airport security allow individual airports to return to the PC system if they so wish- but the government, not wanting to admit that it does a poor job, rarely allows such reversals.

As for being patted down, I highly doubt they'll call you on it.

I'f I was wearing for a flight I would probably just use a tena slip maxi like I do for everything else, I've never had a pat down for a flight, even flying internationally, I have had several 'random' explosive tests and had stuff confiscated though.

Hi,

on some of the regional airports (flying with Rex) there is no security at all interestingly. Anyway, I never wore through security, but I had a pad down at times in Singapore, and they were very careful aound the sensitive area, so even if I'd had worn, there wouldn't be an issue. I had Molicares in the backpack though and was neither an issue during screening in Australia, Singapore nor Germany, so I wouldn't stress out to much regarding that. Biggest issue was I couldn't go while sitting in an airplane, so it was a bit pointless (and after 12h painful) wearing.

Cheers.

Because after 9/11 the US decided they would go completely overblown which in a way made Osama's attack even more crushing. The fact is security is still very easy to get round. Setting up decent security is near impossible, but having good practices isn't (locked airplane doors, properly reinforced emergency infrastructure, good emergency protocols - all things that were lacking on 9/11). I feel sorry for all the US citizens who have to go through security in the USA. I've flown in airports where the runway is guarded by a picket fence!

Though I wasn't old when 9/11 happened, I know our security went up dramatically as well.... Mainly we actually got some. Seems difficult but necessary j suppose

Because we appear to have more terrorists then Australians. After 9/11 security got bumped up so much that is insane

It's called security theatre. It makes people think they're safeeven though they really are not. There is no way that they could get away with Israeli style security that actually works. It involved open racism and interviewing everyone before they board.

I wear on all flights (very discretely) and always remember to have quite a few changes in my carry on and never had a problem domestically or internationally though I haven't been to the US.

Hope you have a great trip beeeblebum!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    It's called security theatre. It makes people think they're safeeven though they really are not. There is no way that they could get away with Israeli style security that actually works. It involved open racism and interviewing everyone before they board.
    Iff israeli security is so good, why don't you move there :O