Thread: Embarassing moments - Wit's end

Unhappy Embarassing moments - Wit's end

Knowing that I suffer from stress/urge incontinence I have been careful to limit the risks of accidents or embarrassing situations.

I have noticed that in the past few months my accidents have increased with no rhyme or reason. I haven't changed anything and the doctors are just about as clueless as I am. I have resorted to using diapers 24/7 just to stay dry and this is not really working because I have hot told anyone else about this, it's just to embarrassing. For awhile it was like clockwork that I would have either a UTI or a Bladder Infection every 70 days. thankfully that finally stopped but now I am having this issue rear it's ugly head. If it were constant that would be different but everything is so random that there is not adjusting or coping.

Has anyone else dealt with anything similar?

My situation is certainly somewhat like yours. My urge incontinence is the result of a surgical mishap when I was 14 years old (back in 1956). I worked very hard doing Kegel exercises (although they weren't called that in those days) and got to the point where I could generally go without a daytime diaper by the time I went away to university. Then when I was in my forties, the incontinence got worse again; and I've been back in diapers 24/7 for the past 25 years or so. My urologist has tried me on all the drugs that are supposed to treat urge incontinence; and none of them did enough good to be worth spending the money or putting up with the side effects.

So I have reconciled myself to the idea that I'll be in diapers for the rest of my life. Fortunately, I've learned to enjoy the diapers. So it isn't such a bad thing.

Diapers aren't really a bad thing to need/use its the social stigma associated with diapers. It sucks that people have to make those that have disabilities feel inferior even if it is something we cannot control. As for the medications, some of the side effects are worse that what they are supposed to treat

while being very sensitive to most drugs, and most of the urinary drugs seriously exacerbate my other medical issues, I made a decision years ago just to do diapers. aside from a notable leak or rash about once a quarter or so, the last 10 years in diapers haven't been bad.