Thread: Crunchbang Linux problem

Default Crunchbang Linux problem

When I go to my menu and move my mouse over browsers I get an error message.

any idea how to fix it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot - 05102012 - 02:47:12 AM.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	6.5 KB 
ID:	8823  

What happens when you run the command from a terminal window (so you can see stderr output)? Can you start the browser using the default command (e.g. firefox) instead of the one that the menu runs?

P.S. I know f*** all about Linux, so probably won't be much help!

I am unfamiliar with Crunchbang, but I see it uses Openbox, soooo....

If you look in /usr/bin/, is there a file called "cb-x-www-browser-pipemenu"?

If yes, you may have to update your alternatives to the correct www browser.

Thanks for the help fixed it. When it stoped working I downloaded xfce and fell in love with it. So im using it now.

Quote Originally Posted by baby_mike View Post
    When it stoped working I downloaded xfce and fell in love with it. So im using it now.
    XFCE is awesome!

Whats with all the different flavors of linux?

Is there a reason not to use Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    Whats with all the different flavors of linux?

Different strokes for different folks. I use Kubuntu as my main, mainly cause I despise Unity and Gnome based apps.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I found it slow and bloated... and everything just seemed so complicated. But that's the cool thing about Linux -- there's a distro to suit (almost) everyone!

Arch is my favourite -- it's simple, logical, and you set everything up manually yourself, so you know exactly what's been installed and how it's set up. And it uses a "rolling release" model (i.e. your system gets gradually upgraded over time with various updates -- you don't get different OS versions being released which require reinstallation). It's pretty cool, but each to their own...

The various distro specific package management, configuration, software stack and tweaks make a huge difference in the user experience. Different distros are tailored for different types. Either way it's one of the great things about open source. Want to do something differently.. you have the ability to do so, building on all the work done by others.. and in turn others can do the same from your work. A lot of these small "odd ball" distros fall under this category. A person or group just decided "hey, I think we need yet another distro" and does it. I think this is awesome!

I think at the highest level, most of the mainstream distros are a different blend of usability and flexibility. You really can't have both of those easily ..

Debian and Ubuntu and friends focus on usability. They are fairly solid and most of the time "just work". The trade off is flexibility.

Gentoo, the distro I use, is largely the polar opposite. Huge flexibility, with the main trade off being usability and stability.

Most other distros (arch for instance) fall somewhere in-between.

There is also a strong philosophical and political component that explains the fragmentation in the open source world. People tend to have very strong feelings regarding things like software licensing. There are also various disagreements between people and groups that create fragmentation. Great example is the debian/firefox thing. Debian was making significant changes in the version of firefox they were distributing.. mozilla basically told them what they were shipping couldn't even be called firefox.. so Debian re-branded firefox as iceweasel to avoid the trademark issue (they never liked including something that wasn't _entirely_ free anyway) and continue distributing their heavily patched version.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Arch is my favourite -- it's simple, logical, and you set everything up manually yourself, so you know exactly what's been installed and how it's set up. And it uses a "rolling release" model (i.e. your system gets gradually upgraded over time with various updates -- you don't get different OS versions being released which require reinstallation). It's pretty cool, but each to their own...
    I like Arch for the same reasons I like Gentoo... But Gentoo is the most brutal distro out there. :U
    But you can customize anything... USE flags mean you can install packages, and be the arbiter of the features those packages have... Like if there is an issue on your system with a specific plugin on something, disable it on install, or if you want the most bloated program you can, tell it to use everything.

And when you use it, you really get to know Linux well since it is so barebones and down to earth. (You compile your own kernel during the install for instance!)

When I don't want that degree of control, and just want to have a medium-level system, I go for Arch. (Pacman is an awesome package manager too!) And If I want everything to work out of the box with as little work as possible, I go with Linux Mint.