Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Today, Obama stated he is in support of same-sex marriage. What is the impact?

Question Today, Obama stated he is in support of same-sex marriage. What is the impact?

Personally, I think this helps Obama greatly in more liberal and democratic states but will hurt him in the "Bible Belt" South. And he has all but certain lost North Carolina. I find this backing of marriage equality nice, but I am skeptical of anything actually changing. I tend not to trust politicians during election years.

So, more questions to be answered I assume:
    How will this affect his campaign?
    How is this being received in the gay and lesbian community?
    And maybe the most important question of all, will anything actually change or will this be once again placed on the back burner after the election (assuming Obama is reelected)?

I'm not sure it will affect his campaign at all, I suppose some people will like him less, but by looking at the opposing parties, I can't see it having a drastic change. I think it is to early to tell what people in the LGBT community think about it, this has only just recently come out, but I'm sure they are all very happy... I can't see them being sad

Obama can't really do much for this I don't think, I feel the bigots will keep it tied down in the USA for quite some time yet.

For those wondering here is an article: Barack Obama says he now supports gay marriage | News | National Post

Barack Obama comes out of the closet as, in fact, actually living in the 21st century. His "evolving" stance has always been thinly-veiled political BS made up for convenience on a delicate issue - his support of "civil unions" was logically inconsistent given his actions with respect to DOMA, not to mention that as Constitutional scholar there is no doubt he was versed in the flimsy legal standing of this separate but equal "compromise".

I doubt that this changes electoral politics drastically, but not really taking a serious position on the issue was probably slightly to Obama's benefit in swing states.

Its not like he was going to get the vote in the bible belt anyway, and the gay and lesbian community is not about to vote for Mitt...

Hes trying to gain independents. He cannot afford to lose them, this move is purely political.

His intent was political, to gain votes but the majority of voters are religous and beleave the bible condems homosexyality. I thing deep inside he does not want to get reelected and this might seal it or he is dilusional like a man who would put this country so deep in debt.

Yeah I saw it the same way, he realized he wasn't getting the bible thumper vote so he cut his losses.

The effect of this? Bigots all over the country make loud noises for a week or two, and then everything goes back to how it was.

I believe there was a national poll a week or two ago, and for the first time, the majority of Americans were accepting of same sex unions. Obama will get his votes from the left and in part, from the middle. It may be a strategy.

If it means him gaining more votes, then damn well he's going to support it. I mean shit, Romney has pretty much no chance against Obama at this point. Look at what Obama has to back him: "'I' killed Osama Bin Laden, and 'Ended' the War", " 'I' lowered gas prices", "'I' won the Nobel Peace Prize". He has all the appeal to steal the votes of the brainless general public.

It really pisses me off because if you listen to Romney's plans it sounds as if he's taking the same approach Reagan took to get the economy out of the shithole it was under Carter's presidency. Romney I didn't want to run at first but after listening to what he has to say, I'm all for him being the GOP frontrunner this election. Santorum is a religious fucking nutball, Paul isn't "pretty" enough to appeal to the general public, and Gingrich I think would make a great strong president but is too much of an ass.

But honesty, who cares about what whoever ends up in office is going to do with the economy? Social issues like marriage and abortion always matter more, right? I've been wanting to state my opinion on this forum for a while but feared getting attacked (yeah, I have to worry about posting opinions), but I honestly don't give a shit anymore:

Wanna know how I respond with "Do you support Gay Marriage/Abortion Rights?"? I don't say yes, but I also don't say no. I say: "I don't give a shit". Wanna know why? John Boehner said it right: John Boehner against marriage equality, but doesn't want to talk about it - YouTube There' much more important shit to worry about. We've got fucking loonies in mideast wanting to blow our asses up, the economy is down the toilet, it's prone to getting worse with the Baby Boomer crowd heading towards retirement, why is it that we obsess so much over things this pathetic? How about fixing the nation's state first, THEN focus on other minor social issues. There's no point in having marriage "rights" if your country is a shithole for years to come.
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 10-May-2012 at 17:32. Reason: first rule of the rep club...

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I believe there was a national poll a week or two ago, and for the first time, the majority of Americans were accepting of same sex unions. Obama will get his votes from the left and in part, from the middle. It may be a strategy.
    I believe I saw this same poll, if I remember correctly, it was out of 800 people. If it was bigger, I might be more inclined to believe it.

Personally, I think this helps Obama greatly in more liberal and democratic states but will hurt him in the "Bible Belt" South.
    Nobody in their right mind can believe that he would win the South. The bottom right quarter of the US is probably the most reliable Republican bloc. I think it hurts him in swing states. As mentioned on the news earlier tonight, North Carolina rural voters turned out in greater numbers than ever to vote down the same-sex marriage act.

Hes trying to gain independents. He cannot afford to lose them, this move is purely political.
    In my reading tonight, I came across some articles (can't find them at the moment will post later) stating how his main voter blocs, Hispanics and African-Americans are more opposed to same-sex marriage than whites. I don't know if that's true are not as my questions about it in my area are biased (I live in a very conservative town in Alabama). It doesn't matter what race or gender in my area, it is just wrong.

I think it causes him to loose independents.

It really pisses me off because if you listen to Romney's plans it sounds as if he's taking the same approach Reagan took to get the economy out of the shithole it was under Carter's presidency. Romney I didn't want to run at first but after listening to what he has to say, I'm all for him being the GOP frontrunner this election. Santorum is a religious fucking nutball, Paul isn't "pretty" enough to appeal to the general public, and Gingrich I think would make a great strong president but is too much of an ass.
    Do we share the same brain??? Those have been my thoughts from the beginning. While I personally wanted Cain to end up as the Candidate, I knew that Romney is the only one who has a chance against Obama.

I think this race is going to come a lot closer than most believe. There are 6 months till the election. Much can change between now and then.