Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to convince my parents to let me get a motorcycle?

Default How to convince my parents to let me get a motorcycle?

I sure many of you saw my thread asking if I should get my bike licence and if all goes well I should have my learners by Tuesday. Mum is not at all keen about the idea and flat out wont let get a bike and I really need your help convincing her otherwise.

The money argument won't work because at the moment I have to drive her car, she pays all the costs apart from petrol and it's only a 1.4lt

At the moment I think the only way I could get a motorcycle is if I moved out but I could only afford one or the other.

Any help appreciated.

maybe settle for a Scooter? However she's letting you drive her car and see's paying for the insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    maybe settle for a Scooter? However she's letting you drive her car and see's paying for the insurance.
    I didn't just pay $300 on a licence to get a scooter(the answer would be no anyway) that I could drive on my old licence. Even though mum pays for insurance and rego I still want a vehicel of my own. Thanks for the seguestions anyway.

Please do not get, or get on a motorcycle. I have worked for emergency services for a good while. Doner-mobiles is what we call them. I have scooped up many a person from accidents (their fault or someone else's)bottom line is you are hurting. I have a good friend who lost a leg in an accident, not his fault but his leg.

I have seen many careless motorcycles around here.... they think they own the road and are SO LOUD!!!! I think they are pretty dangerous and have heard of many accidents due to motorcycles. Sorry but I have to agree with singletlover.... don't get a motorcycle!

I would wait to buy a motorcycle, granted I do not know you or you're maturity level. But during my vocational rehab I worked for a Motorcycle dealership for about a year. I have seen way too many people jump into the sport and get in over their heads. If you are dead set on getting one I would suggest looking at a smaller displacement bike. Like a 250cc or something mild mannered. I have nothing against motorcycles, I used to ride one when I physically could. Wait until you have some more experience behind the wheel then look into buying a bike. I would suggest taking a motorcycle safety course. I would hate too see you end up like the poor guy who bought a bike that was above his riding capabilities and wrecked 100 feet out of the parking lot the day he bought it. Unfortunately I have to agree with you're mother on the matter, 17 is too young.

Quote Originally Posted by singletlover View Post
    Please do not get, or get on a motorcycle. I have worked for emergency services for a good while. Doner-mobiles is what we call them. I have scooped up many a person from accidents (their fault or someone else's)bottom line is you are hurting. I have a good friend who lost a leg in an accident, not his fault but his leg.
    And a car is a metal coffin.

My dad's been in at least one motorcycle accident and it hasn't seemed to have affected him anymore then his MD disease has.

My sister however got pinned inside her car while her boyfriend was driving it. They accidentally ran head on into a pickup and long story short my sister burned alive. Despite her boyfriend and friend pulling her out even with multiple broken bones.

The point is they are both dangerous if your not careful and both can kill you if your not careful. Sometimes you can't even walk without falling into a damn sinkhole anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahTheTeaGal View Post
    I have seen many careless motorcycles around here.... they think they own the road and are SO LOUD!!!! I think they are pretty dangerous and have heard of many accidents due to motorcycles. Sorry but I have to agree with singletlover.... don't get a motorcycle!
    People have a tendency to notice the bad drivers more then the good ones. This applies to bikes, cars, motrocycles, etc.

Supersam1223

TBH, as long as you are a responsible driver, bikes aren't that dangerous. My uncle has been riding (road and racing) since before I was born, and has never had a serious accident. Out of all the people I know who ride motorbikes and quad-bikes (quite a few), only one person has ever had a serious accident, and that was my cousin, who broke his neck when he was racing a quad-bike and lost control doing a jump.

I, personally, would wait until I'm 18, at which point, she has no say in the matter. If she won't let you buy one, and you can't afford to move out and get a bike, it seems to be a sensible option to wait.

Riding a motorcycle is indeed not much more dangerous than driving a car, but you must ALWAYS wear the right clothing. Don't jump in jeans on it!
    But I've to agree with Supersam and Jambi. Wait 'till your 18 (where I live you can only start when your 18) and start on a beginnersbike. Don't go for max inmediatly.

And probably only you know how you could convince your mother. I wish you luck anyhow. If a mother doesn't like it, she mostly sticks with the argument that she doesn't want to see you hurt. If it's "my house, my rules" than you've got to respect that.

And the money wont be trown away. You maybe just spend it a few years before you have some fun out of it. But college is the same. First you pay, later you get :P I've spend a lot of money to things I never used (like my scooterlicense :P).

Well since I started asking if I can get a motorbike mums been a lot happier with me getting a ute (pickup). So I may settle for that until I get a full time job and can move out.