Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate Duke Nukem Forever

Default Why do people hate Duke Nukem Forever

So recently I purchased Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition (aka collectors) for the loot as it was just $30. I could care less if the game sucked or not. So when it came time to finally crack the game open I prepared myself and installed it and let the game get its patch via steam or whatever. And I started playing....... so far I am left dumbstruck why people rate this game so poorly and give COD games like 9/10 scores all the time?

Since personally I think it is one of the better current gen games I have played in recent memory. No where near perfect and no where near being crap. I would give the game a 6 or a 7/10 score. As it is a bit rough around the edges. And I have played worst games out there that got higher ratings then Duke did.

So other then not meeting infinite expectations. Why does everyone hate this game? I can understand maybe long load times for console players. But is that enough to justify giving 1-3's out of 10? If anyone can help me piece this together it would be great. As it is one of the most puzzling thoughts I have had all year.

I think the whole reason why people hate it so much is because it is kind of out dated in a way. Like the graphics and just some of the gameplay that what i think

After nearly a decade of hype, that game would have had to make players breakfast and serve it on a gold platter to get good scores.

SarahNuk

Quote Originally Posted by xbabyx View Post
    After nearly a decade of hype, that game would have had to make players breakfast and serve it on a gold platter to get good scores.
    Even then it'd still lose points because it wasn't diamond.

Sarah

So I go back to my first post and restate. Other then not living up to all the hype and from a UNBIASED point of view. What makes the game bad?

Just because it is a mixture of old and new gameplay doesn't mean it is bad. Because both old and new FPS games have their ups and downs. And I think it did a decent job on trying to mix both. Because honestly I feel more of a badass killing 2-3 guys that take more skill. Then popping 30 headshots, while running down a single hallway :/ And graphics.... well I have seen much worst in other games yet those never get chewed out for looking bad. Yet this does.

So were people giving the game a bad rep just because a few critics chewed it out? and hopped onto the band wagon of hate? but never dared try it? Or is modern gaming culture gone downhill so much that they cannot enjoy a decent game unless its made by big publishers and has AAA reviews by paid critics?

Since personally I have been gaming for the last 20 years of my life gaming and have no idea why so few games are challenging nowadays but they get praised more then titles of the past :/ Am I really that stuck in the past and out of the mainstream. That I can only enjoy retro and niche gaming market that makes legit challenges for players?

What makes the game bad at least from what I played of the demo is that it's a game from 2004 released in 2011.

Corridor gameplay
    you can only hold 2 weapons(which I think Duke was able to hold more of before this game. If not he's clearly badass enough to hold more then 2)
    Shitty AI
    and it was released by the company who just made borderlands which was a amazing game despite it's flaws. Duke Nukem Forever just wasn't something you wanted the devloper behind Borderlands to ship out. All they did was take what was there and polish it.

I think somewhere gearbox or Randy Pitchford admitted that it's not a good/great game. Though they'll still stand behind it since it is "their" game. They just didn't make most of it I think. I do think that the duke franchise is in capable hands, just look at Borderlands writing and gameplay. Once Borderlands 2 is shipped out I think they should start making a new duke game and I do think they are one of the top studio's to do it.

Please note I am not trying to start a flame war and if I am accused as such I will stop posting in this thread. As like I said I am a long time gamer and I love analyzing the pros and cons of hundreds of games that I own and played. So Fire2box I am not going after you as I know you are saying something many others have said before. So don't worry I am not hating on you

With that said I would like to say it shouldn't matter if its a 2004 game released in 2011 or 2040. A game should be able to hold up on its merits alone with the tools that were used at the time. Its like me playing Max Payne 1 and 2 a month ago. I found the first one mediocre for most of the play through(except for storyline and dialog which I loved). Then I play Max Payne 2 and it still holds up surprisingly great on almost all fronts even by today's standards.

If people are going to complain about corridor gameplay and holding 2 weapons they need to stop and think about more over bloated titles that are released annually as cash grabs for corporations. Since this game is vastly different from most titles on the market and does a decent/good job at what it accomplishes. Also shitty AI is another invalid point since I could make a long list of popular FPS's that have shitty AI.

So I go back to my original statement once again. Why do people hate on this game? since I have been thinking hard about it and discussing it with my boyfriend and I think the best conclusion we can come to is game critics and unrealistic hopes and dreams. But that still doesn't make a game bad :/

Quote Originally Posted by Wula View Post
    So I go back to my original statement once again. Why do people hate on this game? since I have been thinking hard about it and discussing it with my boyfriend and I think the best conclusion we can come to is game critics and unrealistic hopes and dreams. But that still doesn't make a game bad :/
    Told you why already in technical reasons, others also told you why it couldn't ever live up to expectations. Either way it's not viewed as a good game. It's sold for 5 dollars and was just recent sold for 2.99 possibly with free shipping from best buy for the PS3.

Borderlands their last game before DNF hasn't sold less then 5 dollars. The gaming community has spoken and have labeled it a bad game. As I've stated before I put down why people think it's a bad game.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/review...-offensive.ars

Because they changed it to fit like current gen FPS instead of how Nukem once was. That, and the game was promised for about a decade. A decade of hype built up and was destroyed by the games lack-luster presentation.

The old Duke Nukem's had fast gameplay and interesting creatures, as well as memorable visuals. This game doesn't. Nothing is polished and sparky, new or interesting, or fast-paced. Everything is "been there done that." This game is like every other generic shooter: two guns only, corridor after corridor, cut scene after every door, and hand-holding gameplay. The game isn't challenging, and that's how people remember the old Duke Nukem games. Challenging, fun, and fast-paced.

Can I just say that I hated the game not just because it was outdated, but the whole parody that was duke nukem has now become it's own franchise. Everything that duke is, is just a rip-off of other characters from the time of duke's conception.

Not to mention the entire level that makes a joke out of rape, then he earned all of my hatred.

EDIT: I think this video elaborates on my opinions nicely.