Thread: Meeting with Urologist - He thinks surgery may be the answer

Default Meeting with Urologist - He thinks surgery may be the answer

I met with my Urologist again today. We discussed how things had been. That is not any better - Still bedwetting every night and having issues in the day. We had already established my overactive bladder, but after the last round of tests, including flow etc. He thinks I may need surgery on my bladder to allow better flow. We are going to give one last medication a chance, but if not then it will be surgery before christmas. He says that even if the medicine works this time, it will only be a matter of time before I will eventually will need the surgery, even though this could be in 10-15 years time.

Does anyone have any experience of having their bladder opperated on? If so how did it work out for you?

In my opinion surgery is a last resort unless it is a life or death situation. I would go for the easy option of thrying the meds first and then perhaps sticking to the padding for as long as possible untill the op has to be done. The doctors and suregeons *practice* every day on patients so hang on as long as possible. New ideas come every year. When I was a kid the appendix and the tonsills? were ripped out asap. I avoided this and I am glad that I did.

The proposed procedure is a 'Bladder Neck Incision' this could solve all my wetting issues, but no guarantees. I am trying another medicine currently so perhaps that might help, and perhaps using protection for longer may be another option. If I have to have the op, I would like to hear from some real people who have had it, rather than just from the medics.

I can't help from experience but this link will take you to a place with the experiences of several people. Please don't get worried by the bad experiences - the basic 80% of people get an improvement figure quoted is referred to pretty often in info about this procedure - all these comments are from a layman's point of view and I am in no way qualified to assess the validity of things on help boards - but this one is quite well respected and reliable - in my opinion that is!

Bladder Neck Incision (TUIP) - Cancer: Bladder Message Board - HealthBoards