Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloth Diapers--What are your thoughts on All-In-Ones?

Default Cloth Diapers--What are your thoughts on All-In-Ones?

I'm curious to know where we stand on all-in-one diapers, as I've gotten quite good with making them and am strongly considering adding them to the product line I'm working on for the diaper tapes website.

(see my gallery here, for me modeling them. What you aren't seeing [I'll add this later] is also the standing gussets/gathers on the inside)

So, I would love to hear your thoughts as part of an open discussion. What are your preferences?

Would you rather have a purely cloth diaper with a similar look, and then add your own plastic pants over it? Or would you prefer plastic/PUL pants that look like what I've made? (Or do you like them as they are?)

As for my thoughts, I've made them as AIOs because I don't like dealing with the separate plastic pants; I like being able to tape them on and go about my business. Then again, most of the time, I just wear them to bed and around my significant other since they aren't exactly discrete. I use PUL because it is pretty durable and is machine washable--and for $10/yd, it's worth it. They last years! I also prefer velcro because it gives it a feeling of being like a disposable.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you.

In my experience, look and feel is hard to beat. However, they take forever to dry, and don't hold up all that well over several wash/dry cycles. Like you, I wear mine when I don't intend to wet, and go with cloth and plastic pants when I do.

I haven't used any cloth diapers at all, but I'd love to give your all-in-ones a try!

I've tried a few and found they fail after several wash cycles. Like plastic pants the plastic backing in the AIOs cannot withstand machine washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nam Repaid View Post
    I've tried a few and found they fail after several wash cycles. Like plastic pants the plastic backing in the AIOs cannot withstand machine washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    ...they take forever to dry, and don't hold up all that well over several wash/dry cycles.
    Hmmm...I can't say I'm surprised, really. ^_^

Maybe I could focus more on offering the cloth part of the diaper separately, and then leaving the water-proofing to you guys and/or offering separate PUL pants?

Besides, by keeping the PUL separate I could still make it a pocket-style diaper (aka, you stuff it yourself). And without the PUL, I could get more creative with the actual design--not to mention that the material cost per "designed" diaper might be a bit lower and the manufacturability a bit higher! (also lowering price, due to lower manufacturing time/direct labor costs)

What do you think of that?

Yes, I wear cloth diapers and separate plastic pants for the reasons given, but PUL is a relatively new product, and it may last longer. However, AIO do take longer to dry, and so I think I would stick with just cloth, and then separate plastic pants. That said, I am very impressed with your sewing. They look great in the pictures which you've provided. I was thinking just today that it would be nice to have cloth diapers with a babyish design on them instead of just plain white. Ironic, isn't it.

i like the idea of the sort of cloth rap-around diaper that you have there (i don't quite understand how it goes togather). but to be honest, my SO has voiced Her dislike of the sort of cotton diapers that Her kids had (years ago). so i have been stuck with modern disposables. but yours don't look at all like the diapers of the 60's/70's. and as i sort-of need them (diapers), i really think i would prefer cotton myself.

but one question; Velcro in the washer gets caught on everything else in the load. so have you tried your out in the wash with a big load?

little lodge wrecker......

Hi, Kif - I really like the design of these! They look very nicely put together, and the prints are great. Like some of the other folks, I'll admit to being partial to separates, mostly because they're what I was raised in. That said, I can totally see trying an AIO with a cute babyish design. I also wouldn't mind a PUL diaper cover with velcro closure and a cute print--to go over my existing cloth diapers. Pull-on vinyl pants are certainly functional, but I like the look of the modern PUL baby diaper covers so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by littlelodgewrecker View Post
    ...but one question; Velcro in the washer gets caught on everything else in the load...
    I've already sewn laundry tabs onto it, actually, to specifically solve that problem. It was inspired by a design I saw implemented in baby diapers.

Here and continued here.

Also not a fan of velcro with cloth diapers...even where they have the fold in tabs, they seem to pick up lint and the velcro starts to wear out.
    Of course, that's also true.
    It would be fairly easy to make them with snaps, as far as manufacturability goes. I'll make sure to come up with an alternate design, so that it's available if requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridaguy View Post
    I don't like AIO cloth diapers because they take forever to dry. However, I LOVE the design of your diapers -any thought to making them "pocket" diapers instead, where a person uses inserts to make them as thick as they want/need them? The pocket cloth diapers I have now are snap closure, and they rock! Also, it's what most toddler/baby cloth diapers are these days.
    They already are! It seems the pocket diaper usually dries a bit better since the material can be removed. I've had the green pocket diaper (also in my gallery) for at least a year or two, and it's always dried first--with all my other clothes--as long as the stuffing was removed.

Oh, and on a side note I've also sewn in standing guards. I'm not sure if the standing guards really matter that much, but I personally enjoy the babyishness of them.

See here and here for photos.

EDIT: The photo uploader seems to be acting I apologize for the thumbnail down there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	8687  

Quote Originally Posted by Floridaguy View Post
    These look fantastic! As someone who wears diapers also for need and has been experimenting with cloth diapers, I honestly think that the standing leak guards are an important feature. Honestly, it seems the first place wetness seeps through (they say these diapers are waterproof and don't require plastic pants, but I haven't found that to be true) is around the leg holes, so I bet the leak guards would help with that. Also, I think it would help contain particularly messy diapers (thank you IBS!) for those that need it. Even some of the major cloth diaper makers for babies/toddlers have started putting them in their diapers, so I think it's smart that you're including it. And yes, you're right, it's also very babyish. Heh.

Can you get all sorts of different prints? That's one thing I do really like about cloth -the designs can be awesome!

Lastly, can I ask where you get your stuffers and what kind you use? I find it hard to find stuffers that are large enough or that fit right.
    Yay! I'm happy to hear you think the standing guards would be effective!

Mind you, they're made out of cloth and not PUL--but at least it's one more barrier to keep things contained...and for guys, keeps things in the correct orientation. ^_^;

As far as stuffers go, I actually use an adult cloth prefolds from (size small, I think). I am planning on offering stuffers as a product, too, provided my machine will be able to handle the thick material. If not, there are many sites out there that sell cloth prefolds--and they make excellent stuffers for my diapers.