Thread: Anyone else have this reaction?

CrinklySiren

Default Anyone else have this reaction?

If there is one thing i hate, its when someone calls me a "fully grown man" or a "grown man" or "grown ass man", maybe its the word grown but everytime someone calls me that I feel insulted.. I feel like an anger is being built up in me that when I hear someone say that to me I feel like punching a wall with my head that way I get my anger out AND the pain on my head might cause me to forget about it... thats how angry it makes me... Like calling me a full adult, or young adult or fully developed guy, or Just a 22 year old guy... I cant f****** stand being called a Grown ass man!!! I mean as a reaction to my ABDL thing, I understand when someone is trying to get a point accross, but calling me an adult just the word ADULT will suffice to get your point accross... why must someone go so far as to call me something as vulgar as a grown ass man! I dont understand why I have such an anger about this, but I do...

Does anyone feel this way? Probably not -__-

No ones ever called me a "grown ass man"...probably cause im a girl. but Ive heard people refer to themselves as being a "grown ass man" like at school when their freakin out over something stupid and its more funny/annoying cause their usually making a fool of themseves and/or being disruptive so they'll normally get a chuckle and told to sit down or thrown outta class.

but I get what your sayin, cause if its a reaction to the abdl thing it seems kinda excessive or condescending and your right adult would suffice.

I never really get upset or angry, I more just get embarrassed. I feel like being a child - or more specifically what could be considered to be a child under the legal definition - was yesterday, and now that I'm "all grown up" it feels awkward when I'm reminded.

Here's the thing though, regardless of the ABDL thing: bear in mind that older people than you are often going to come from different backgrounds and different generations, and often that means that through no fault of their own they're going to use certain terms of phrase that - though they consider it normal - you will find strange or aggravating. Best you can do is brush it off, thank them for what I presume they're trying to be complimentary about, and move on.

IF they are being condescending towards you, then walk away.

SarahNuk

My opinion on grown ass man.

All kidding aside, I don't have that reaction to being called a young adult or the like, but I'm a timid person. I also think that the culture that is spreading through the internet is the use of words in the wrong proportions. For instance, the term 'hilarious' means something so funny you nearly lose your mind, yet it is used to describe things even as mundane as a cat on a fire hydrant. (Hm... why is that my idea of 'mundane?')

Sarah

maybe some people are just using words such as (adult, grown up, man, Sir, Mr.) as a form of respect...... maybe your size or stature or looks encourage people to do so. maybe you tend to take on more than your share of the burden or responsibility in situations. any of those things could get you addressed in these ways.

i know when i was very small and would go to work with my Father, the other Men would pat me on the head or ruffed my hair and address me as "young man"...... i simply hated being called that. i wasn't a young-man..... but i didn't know why, i just wasn't... i couldn't stop it, and my Father said it was everyone's way of showing me they liked to have me around. but it would just make me pout.....

CrinklySiren

Quote Originally Posted by Klonekitten View Post
    I never really get upset or angry, I more just get embarrassed. I feel like being a child - or more specifically what could be considered to be a child under the legal definition - was yesterday, and now that I'm "all grown up" it feels awkward when I'm reminded.

Here's the thing though, regardless of the ABDL thing: bear in mind that older people than you are often going to come from different backgrounds and different generations, and often that means that through no fault of their own they're going to use certain terms of phrase that - though they consider it normal - you will find strange or aggravating. Best you can do is brush it off, thank them for what I presume they're trying to be complimentary about, and move on.

IF they are being condescending towards you, then walk away.
    Thats just it, they use it to describe a situation, they dont mean it in a condescending way or to insult me, its how they talk, and they're not older than me, they're my age... i hate it when my friends call me grown ass man... it makes me feel ugly and old.. im 22 and i feel like a 50 year old when they call me that... i feel like they're telling me im disgusting (not that 50 year old men are disgusting, im just saying it makes me feel disgusting..)

Quote Originally Posted by SarahNuk View Post
    My opinion on grown ass man.

All kidding aside, I don't have that reaction to being called a young adult or the like, but I'm a timid person. I also think that the culture that is spreading through the internet is the use of words in the wrong proportions. For instance, the term 'hilarious' means something so funny you nearly lose your mind, yet it is used to describe things even as mundane as a cat on a fire hydrant. (Hm... why is that my idea of 'mundane?')

Sarah
    yay another XKCD fan

more on-topic......I hate growing older, like I'm moving further away from the age I feel I should be! If you think 22 is bad just wait until you get to three zero