View Poll Results: What operating system do you use?

52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows xp/vista/95/7/8 beta

41 78.85%
  • Linux (Any distribution.)

21 40.38%
  • Mac

7 13.46%
  • Tablet/PS3/etc...

7 13.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for an operating system?

Default What do you use for an operating system?

Wondering what the most used operating system here is.
    i use linux and have included mine to be accurate.
    Remember! vote if you feel comfortable!

i use WIN 7 and XP i like XP better, WIN 7 is becoming to much lick mac os and it is getting restrictive with what you can do with it.

Too bad you left out a choice for most of the *BSD OSes

Currently used OSes:

Win 7 Ultimate x64 (triple boot on laptop)
    Ubuntu 11.10 (x86 and amd64, former on my server home servers, latter part of the triple boot)
    FreeBSD 7-STABLE (sources as of midnight april 16th, 2012- Web server, and last part of the triple boot on my laptop. x86 versions on both)

Forgot: Windowx XP Professional via Windows XP Mode in Win 7 as well to support a few apps that won't run natively on 7.
    Last edited by oreocookie; 26-Apr-2012 at 02:26. Reason: Added something I forgot

So far I've only used windows so I can't tell you much about the others. I find windows easy to use but sometimes it gets frustrating. Once I tryed to install updates and it got stuck halfway through, it sucked because it warned me that if I shut down the computer it would corrupt some important files or something. Luckily I shut it down and nothing bad happened but it was a big waste of time.

At home I have linux (gentoo) on my desktop, debian on all but one server (have a VPS and 4 local servers), and freebsd on my router/firewall box (though at some point will probably switch to linux for this.. just lazy). Also have a winxp vm I use for a handful of apps.

Professionally I've worked a lot with solaris (2.5 through 10) and a bit with AIX and even a little UnixWare (which is actually pretty solid.. but I feel dirty having touched it). No I'm not that old.. I just have done maintenance on some very old systems.
    Last edited by BoundCoder; 26-Apr-2012 at 02:36. Reason: Cleaned up formatting and added a bit

I have two computers with Window's 7 and one with Vista. My wife loves her Ipad, so she's in the Mac domain. And yeah, those updates can take forever.

I currently use windows xp. It's good enough for me. And I won't upgrade until my computer bites the dust.

It works just fine for what I use it for.

On my desktop PC, I dual boot between Windows 7 64 - Bit and Ubuntu equally. I prefer Ubuntu and use that where possible, but I do use a lot of software that is Windows only. I solely use Windows 7 on my HP laptop, and L-Ubuntu on my older Dell ultraportable. So, both equally I guess.

I'd also like to give Mac OS X a shot, so I am thinking that my next laptop will either be a MacBook Pro to replace my HP or an Air to replace my Dell. The price is holding me back, though...

XP on my main computer and linix mint on my other computers

When XP dies i will go over to linux for everything. The few things i need XP for will not work on later versons of windows so that is the only reason to keep XP.(cad-cam programs)

Tidbit on me. I originally used windows 7 for my laptop and used it for 2+ years but then windows wouldn't start so i switched over fully to linux.