Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Release of all Cell Phone Number for telemarketing?

Default Release of all Cell Phone Number for telemarketing?

i was shown an article today that indicated the government will require cell phone numbers to be made public access under the similar guidelines as land-lines. The numbers in turn will be used by telemarketers to offer goods and services regardless of your phone plan and its limits.

i wish I had noted the article location.

is anyone else familiar with this or is it Bunk?

I heard of a bill doing exactly the opposite of this really. Given that the average person hates telemarketing calls I can't for the life of me see why something like you said would be passed by congress, senate and signed by the president.

If a bill like this is real, it should be struck down as quickly as SOPA/PIPA was. (not sure if PIPA got killed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I heard of a bill doing exactly the opposite of this really. Given that the average person hates telemarketing calls I can't for the life of me see why something like you said would be passed by congress, senate and signed by the president.

If a bill like this is real, it should be struck down as quickly as SOPA/PIPA was. (not sure if PIPA got killed.)
    That's the problem, I keep reading internet articles that say its Bull and others that say its real ans still others that tell you how to opt out. I am not a tech guy, ask me about 2000 year old dead roman leaders, but the ebb and flow of tech trends...BLAHH not my thing. I just don't want to interrupted by a telemarketing and be charged minutes to do so.

teddybear206

they wanna make my number public ok, but every telemarketer who calls me ill make into nuggets.

Bambin04

I wouldn't be too concerned about it. It would suck really bad, but I doubt it will happen. People hate telemarketing as it is. We disconnected our home phone, we only use our cell phones. I hated having a house phone, it is useless to us.

Bambin04

If you didn't know already, they have been debating about whether or not to pass this bill for a very long time. Like I said, I highly doubt they will pass it. Many people will veto against it if they even try. The least they did was let us opt out of it just in case it does happen.

I guess you could go on the government "do not call" list. I'm on it and we get only a few, like banks and politicians. I sure would hate like hell to pay for calls made by these jerks. My wife is very polite with telemarketers, but I'm not. Usually I just hang up and don't listen to them. Most of the time "they" are recordings anyway.

Peachy

"Cold calls" (i.e. calling someone without their previous explicit consent) is illegal in this country. In fact, any unsolicited coomunication (letters, calls, email) is illegal, so it's not just calls. In 2009, the government passed a law that would fine telemarketers 50,000 EUR per call if they're caught. They just started hiding their numbers. So they made hiding numbers for commecial companies illegal. Now they're talking about upping the fine to 300,000 EUR. So it's a bit of a race going on right now.

However, publishing all phone numbers is unconstitutional here. I wouldn't advice any phone company to release a list of their customers. It may mean their demise from people quitting their contracts and suing them.

Peachy
    Last edited by Trevor; 24-Apr-2012 at 06:35. Reason: Removing auto-merged duplicate post.

Shit... I hate calls from companies I don't do business with and this pisses me off. I have had my experiences with phone solicitors over the years and they're a source of a lot of frustration. I'm on a pay-as-you go plan and this would drive me nuts. If they called, I'd ignore the numbers. I hate phone solicitors and it seems to me they just want a new market cause of the US Government's do-not-call list and will do what they can to get that market. I really despise phone solicitors with a passon. Always call at inopportune times- like they know you can't deal with them or something.

WildThing121675