Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender Roles?

Default Gender Roles?

Well It's come up many times in convo's lately at least in ones I've been in. So I wanna know what are your view on gender roles?? To elaborate gender roles are the roles that a certain gender are supposed to follow in life, the male supports a family and blahdy blah and such. Do you think gender roles really have any place in the more liberal world we seem to be going into.

my personal opinion is that they have no purpose. Gender kinda got left by the roadside many years ago for me. Gender is meaningless to me, I wear girls clothes cause it looks cooler and I like them more..... so what. Society as a whole seems to look down at people like me for pushing the gender lines and breaking from the gender roles...... Your Thoughts??

Females belong at the stove, bitch!

No, in all actuality I don't think there are many gender specific roles anymore. Granted - you don't see many women doing the grunt work around the house (such as fixing things...) and you don't see many men doing lightwork (such as sweeping, dishes, mopping...)

Of course there are women doing grunt work, and males doing lightwork, but from what I've seen *generally* it is still kinda gender-specific.

I don't think though, that people should stick to a role just because it's expected of their sex.

I believe in equal rights on everything so XD you figure it out.....I find gender roles bull shit
    And yes that does include no special treat meant twords girls. So yes I will hit a girl...If hit first. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Valerye View Post
    I believe in equal rights on everything so XD you figure it out.....I find gender roles bull shit
    And yes that does include no special treat meant twords girls. So yes I will hit a girl...If hit first. :P
    I believe much the same as you women fought for many years to be 'equal but now they seem to be held as higher on some aspects...... male's are not supposed to hit a girl and such. I think that gender is pointless gender isn't necessary to anything but reproduction which we're already filling up the world with to many children. Love does not consider gender and neither does hate or rage so neither should society in my opinion

In recent times, certainly over the last decade[s] or so, there has been a huge swing in both the position of men and women in society. I think it's has to do with equality, the fence is getting knocked down and the two sides are gradually merging into one area.

As a man, the whole notion of being "macho", the breadwinner, the business leader has been completely thrown out the window. Men these days have moved into what are more traditionally "feminine" concepts - like looking good (metrosexual anyone?) and taking pride in appearance and self-presentableness. As well as becoming a stay-at-home dad and/or becoming the primary child nurturer, losing the status of breadwinner.

Women on the other hand are moving up on the professional career ladder, some all the way to top positions. Some of the most powerful/richest people in the world are/have been women and this contrasts greatly with the typical housekeeper image. Not only that, but women now partake in the same sports as men do, bringing about their own "machoness", head-strong aura.

I think that if we were to ever develop as a society and not be hypocritical about our own set-standards that "everyone is entitled to a fair go", then we would have had to eventually let the other gender into what have traditionally been gender-only circumstances. As more and more young people embrace non-conservative viewpoints, I can only seen the grey-area in between the divides of men and women grow larger, whilst gender-specific roles grow smaller.

Fortunately I have met few people who have this attitude any more, and most of them are old - usually my grandparents. I personally don't think gender matters at all for a job, and think that people should only be picked for a job or a role based on their proficiency. Men and women are different and have different proficiencies, but I don't see why someone should be pigeon-holed into a certain area based on anything other than are they good at it.

Oddly enough recently, when I have come across people who consider one gender to be superior to another or that certain jobs are suited for certain genders, more of them have been women than men. For example, my school is seperate from a girls only school on the same grounds. The schools interact as little as possible. The headmaster of my school wants to, but the girls school headmistress considers boys to be inferior and damaging to 'her girls'. An example of this: there was a problem outside of school and the girls school points at the boys school saying it will be one of them. However, it was a girl who was arrested!

While we are getting a more balanced society, I don't think we are there yet. If anything, we are going to far the other way. Men can't say they are superior to women (which is correct) but women can say they are superior to men with no complaints. We are far more accepting, and many people don't believe in gender roles any more. However, I would not say that there aren't people who still believe in them, and that these people and their beliefs are still very influencial.

We might get a perfectly balanced society one day, but I seriously doubt this utopia will ever happen!

Well as much as we have made leaps and bounds into the idea of equality in many ways we are back sliding or at least stagnating in others. Yes both man and woman are able to have the same job by law. Many times you are encouraged by statistics to have a job because you are the opposite sex/gender. You may even get paid a little more for it, though is this is less likely. How ever though it is higher the glass ceiling still exists for women, well those that plan to marry and have children.

Also we have not changed our ways of thinking for anyone other then those that are over 18.
    Go through a toy store and you will see what I mean. In the girls section of Toys are Us I looked the other day for even one business "job" there were none for girls. What did the isle look like? A grocery store. There were more packs of plastic fruits and veggies then I have ever seen in my life and Brand name vacuums in mini size. We have baby dolls to teach child care (your own or others) and a "nurse" kit to help the doctor when the baby is sick.

We have the other side of the store and we find tool kits, race cars, sports equipment. Let us not forget the mass numbers of army toys. But the thing that got me the most is I was looking for building block, to me a nongendered toy but even they were in the boy section.

I am not a "bra burning "F" word" but I do think that before you want to say that we do not have gender stereotypes any more we should look at how parents are raising their children. They are not meaning any harm, but from childhood we are telling girls, look you want to play with dolls it is normal. And boys are told that violence and action are their ways of play.

I know we can always overcome what we are raised as, though think about it as imprinting, if the first thing you know is that you are suppose to like playing with one type of toy, then you are more likely to continue thinking in that manner.

Even peoples perception of babies not even out of the hospital are scued by gender. Doctors have been working on a study placing two same sizes, equal health babies side by side, one make one female. They will then ask each of the four parents what child is larger. 3/4 will tell you that the male child is larger and healthier then the female.

There is even evidence that parents of female babies carry the child more and will do everything to keep her from crying. From infancy females learn crying will get you things, yet male babies are often left to cry himself out, or cry himself to sleep. Males are taught from babies that "boys don't cry". They learn that they will have to find another means to get attention and what they want.

Though keep in mind that what you think of as gender is for our society. There have been societies in the past that have not had the stereotypes. There was a tribe in Africa at one point that before being "Christianized" the women were the warrior and the "macho ones" the men would stay home and work with the children and care for the homes. Gender is relative; it is what we make of it over time.

But here is a passing thought. Think about the language involved in gender.
    You have
    Son/ daughter
    You can not say bacheloret that is what a woman is the night before her wedding
    So what is an unmarried woman that is on her own? Maiden? That means she is chaste, Maid? That means she is beyond age of marriage?
    So think about what it is that makes us gendered, and how we can be equal when we do not even exist in the language. Even Woman is a subcategory of Man. A lot will have to change yet for true equality. But we are getting there.

I say people should be able to be who they are. There's nothing wrong with a male being "macho" or "masculine" and nothing wrong with a female being "soft" or "feminine". At the same time, there's nothing wrong with the opposite,'s ok for boys to be more feminine and girls to be more masculine.

I think what complicates the issue is that there are different professional and social perceptions. A lot of guys may be okay with having a female boss, or they may respect female co-workers in the same way they respect male ones. But most guys probably wouldn't want to date or marry a woman that is just as masculine as they are. Likewise, most girls that I know are attracted to men they feel emotionally safe with, men they view as stronger. Of course there are exceptions to this (and that's not to mention bisexual and gay relationships), but it's still the overall trend that I've noticed.

I think too much is made of gender roles, but at the same time I don't think we'll ever reach the point where they are gone because there are physiological differences between men and women...and they will in turn have an effect on how people view themselves and other people. So until society gets to a point where they biologically make males and females exactly the same in that regard, I don't see how gender roles will ever disappear completely.

So for me...I don't see anything wrong with gender roles themselves. I think the problem is that people can't accept those who step outside of them.

The only area where gender roles come into play for me is reproduction. Other than the obvious issue of pregnancy, there are certain mechanical concerns in the bedroom.

First off these are stereotypical gender roles and we all know how common stereotypes really are. Anyways its wrong to say that you can't do something due to gender.

However there are some cases where men will be better then woman and there will be stuff that woman are better at then men.. (don't know if this counts transgenders or sex changes lol)