Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Prime Minsiter Candidates 2008

Default Canadian Prime Minsiter Candidates 2008

Yes, that's right, the Canadians have a big election coming up pretty soon too. Our election may be in the shadow of the American election, but we're still here. The presidential hopefuls have been campaigning for roughly 2 years with world-wide coverage, but I'll bet most people outside of Canada don't know what exactly a Stephan Dion is.Oh well.

To the Candians: Which party wil be getting your vote if/when you can vote this fall election?

Also, what is your opinion on our government pulling a fast one and declaring a last-minute election for some weird reason? Personaly, I think it's a waste of time. No one is going to change their vote, and the Conservatives will still be in power. The NDPs are crazy, and no one likes Dion. I can't see anything changing.

I'm also just a tad bit annoyed at the amount of attack adds that have been filling up my precious television. You know the ones I'm talking about. I watch American television channels sometimes, and I never see Obama passive-aggressively attacking McCain through some cowardly add, or vice-versa. Maybe we should be more like Americans. No, that was not a missprint.

Despite how much this election is overshadowed by the American one, it is still very important for us Canadians, though I might argue that the results of the American election will have a greater impact on politics here in Canada than the results of the Canadian one. If I'm not mistaken the election was called, because the Conservatives thought that they were in the position to move from being a minority government to a majority government. If I could vote, I'd probably vote Green or NDP, because frankly the Liberals and Conservatives are a little too conservative for my liking and haven't done a great job running the country in recent times in my opinion. I too hate the campaigning that is done on TV and in newspapers, because all of the politicians are lying and wasting my time. My personal view is that all politicians are liars and you just need to pick the one that's lying the least!

Harper's justification in calling an election is sketchy at best- he claims that Parliament was too divided and too disruptive, but his government was passing pretty much everything they put on the table. I think it had more to do with all the scandals his party was caught up in, or that he knows he can take a majority government.

Dion is laughably bad. Like, Stockwell Day-bad. Horrible English, no charisma, complicated ideas... I'm a liberal, but I can't stand him, and I think he was a poor choice. His Green Shift, while actually a great idea and completely executable, is impossible to sell in a ten-second sound bite, which is all he gets to talk about it. The whole Liberal party is really in shambles- they should be going after Harper for his mismanagement of the economy, but instead they just keep blabbing about a "Green Economy."

Now, the NDP, they're doing it right. They have the best campaign so far, are playing great ads that attack Harper and Jack Layton is showing what a leader actually is. Latest polls show that they're neck-and-neck with the Liberals. If they could form the Official Opposition, it would make history, and would also prove for a very interesting Parliament. I'd like to see it.

The Greens are a joke, and Elizabeth May is more of an activist than she is a party leader. She actually said that voters should vote strategically, instead of for her own party, in order to get rid of Harper. That ain't leadership. Thus the joke.

Le Bloc de Quebec est un organization petit et... my French sucks. They won't win.

I was planning on voting Grit, but depending on how the polls turn out, I may vote NDP.

To all non-Canadians: Don't feel bad if none of this makes sense to you. Unlike in America, the world does not pay attention to what happens in Canada. But I will ask: did you know we were having an election?

Quote Originally Posted by woof View Post
    To all non-Canadians: Don't feel bad if none of this makes sense to you. Unlike in America, the world does not pay attention to what happens in Canada. But I will ask: did you know we were having an election?
    Nope but then again I haven't been watching the new lately.

I'm totally disgusted over the fact that the NDP and the Conservatives were going to boycott the debates on TV over the fact that the green party, a ligit party, wanted to join in on the debates. I was going to vote NDP, but I now have switched over the Green party as I feel that they have a better future for Canada in mind.

I'm also not crazy over the NDP's mandatory Organ Donor card sign-up, as I think it is quite a personal choice to make and not something you should FORCE upon someone...

Go Greens Go!!!

Mako

Quote Originally Posted by Your Worst Nightmare View Post
    I'm totally disgusted over the fact that the NDP and the Conservatives were going to boycott the debates on TV over the fact that the green party, a ligit party, wanted to join in on the debates. I was going to vote NDP, but I now have switched over the Green party as I feel that they have a better future for Canada in mind.

I'm also not crazy over the NDP's mandatory Organ Donor card sign-up, as I think it is quite a personal choice to make and not something you should FORCE upon someone...

Go Greens Go!!!
    Someone didn't do they're research as to WHY they were going to boycott. Elizabeth May as noted earlier, has bee preaching strategic voting, specifically for the liberals. She would not be debating for her own party, she would be debating as to benefit the liberal party, I mean sure dion needs it, but it's simply not right to have two candidates debating to vote for the same party.

Personally I'm hoping for a slim liberal minority and with the ndp picking up major seats and holding the balance of power. I love my NDP and will be voting for them, I just think they do better work as a swing vote to interject their own platforms in small doses.

Obviously she was doing that for a reason, cause she knew the the Liberals have a way better chance to win then the green party, and also the liberals are much more focused on the enviroment then the conservatives or the NDP, so no wonder why she was going to do that. I don't ever see Stephen Harper trying to clean up the environment, cause lets face it, he's from Alberta, that's like Texas to Canada, oil and natural gas wise, he last thing he's gonna do is to kill Alberta....

Quote Originally Posted by Your Worst Nightmare View Post
    Obviously she was doing that for a reason, cause she knew the the Liberals have a way better chance to win then the green party
    Yes, definitely, but that's not what a leader does. Mako had it right- she's really just another leader for the Liberal Party, and putting her in the debate would be unfair to the NDP and the Conservatives.

I really don't like Harper, and if he gets a majority I will be scared... especially if the American election goes to McCain.

But I'm glad to see people my age talking about the election, and I think we should form a Canadian social group.

The thing is...we say we're voting for a 'leader' but we're really voting for a particular 'party'. We elect MPs and the guy with the most MPs wins! I don't particularly like Stephan Dion, but can he be any worse than Harper? Jack Layton, well...let's face it, he isn't gonna win. And the Green Party is a bunch of activists who aren't really into politics for the right reasons.

I will vote on October 14th...and I expect I will vote the same way I have ever since I turned 18! Of course, this year I can't vote for "the cute gay guy" 'cause I don't live in his 'riding' any more!

Mmmmmmmm, Stephen Harper scares the shit outta me, esp. with how close he is to Bush, you know, like, it's ok to be close with your neighbour, but they are like close-close, like Stephen Harper is Geroge Bush's bitch close, IMO. And we really do need to focus on the environment, like even if the earth doesn't "melt", everyone still agrees, or at least acknowledges that we are f-ing up the environment pretty bad... And thats another thing that scares me about Stephen Harper, is that he scrapped like $50 Million in green projects, while defending big companies that pollute....