View Poll Results: Are you for or against euthanasia?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

30 75.00%
  • Againts

5 12.50%
  • Unsure

5 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euthanasia

Default Euthanasia

Simple are you for it or against it?

I think there is a time and a place for euthanasia. I have seen too many loved ones lives stretched past what it should have been. They are forced to live there last weeks in pain, without dignity.

i believe it should be allowed. We do it to animals so why not to humans?

i don't know about New Zealand, but Oregon has a "death with dignity" law i believe.
    i think everyone needs the ability and the right of self-determination over their own life when the time comes.
    having the will to use it before you become incapasitated is another thing altogether. if that should happen, your next-of-ken gets the choice......

I don't see why there's such a huge debate over it....It's their life and their body. And they should have control over it. If we deny people assisted suicide through the quick and painless manner (consensual and deliberate morphine overdose) the only options we are giving them are either a slow painful death, or a painful traumatic suicide. As someone who has sat by a loved ones side and watched them slowly fade away I would have a appreciated it if they had had the option to die a quick and painless death rather than their protracted pain filled one....

I'm in favor of it being available as an option for people of sound mind. Washington is one of three US states that have legalized physician-assisted suicide. It seems to be going fairly well thus far: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/05/us/05suicide.html.

I also believe in euthenasia. Working as a CNA, it breaks me to see people suffer. Everyone should have a choice whether to live or die. Because I ride motorcycles and generally life is unpredictable, I have told my mom that if my time would come and I end up on life support (or in a vegetative but maintainable state) to just pull the plug on me. As much as it would hurt my family, I never want to leave as a permanent dependent on external devices/personnel.
    That's why I live my life to the fullest. I like to enjoy the little things, no matter how small they might be. The only thing that would hurt me the most is them having to find the items of my fetishes.

May I offer a point of view with the caveat that i have never experienced the long term suffering of a loved one where suicide was even discussed. I don't agree with it, for me and at this point in my life and with the experiences I had during the war, I can't get behind anything that would promote more death by human hands. That point of view may change one day, but It makes my stomach tight just thinking about killing anyone even if its by consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragarach View Post
    May I offer a point of view with the caveat that i have never experienced the long term suffering of a loved one where suicide was even discussed. I don't agree with it, for me and at this point in my life and with the experiences I had during the war, I can't get behind anything that would promote more death by human hands. That point of view may change one day, but It makes my stomach tight just thinking about killing anyone even if its by consent.
    I totally respect where you're coming from, and being that I haven't been through what you have I don't have the same perspective as you, however I'm one of those people that can't even make it through a news story about people dying without crying, and the thought of killing anybody or hurting anybody makes me feel physically ill. That being said it's not somebody murdering another person, it's a doctor providing medication to a patient that has been through 3 (i think that's the number) mental health screenings and a 3 (i think) month wait period before they're allowed to do this, what assisted suicide or 'euthanasia' is doing is giving a mentally sound person, who would otherwise spend a long time suffering before they finally die, a chance to say their goodbyes and then just go to sleep and never wake up. It's a mercy for both the person dying and their loved ones, it hurts so much to see somebody you love laying there just waiting to die, wondering if today is the last day that you're going to hear their voice, see their smile, never knowing if this is the last chance to say goodbye. With euthanasia you at least have the mercy of knowing.... I'm not saying that everybody who's suffering like that should or would take the euthanasia option, I just think that it should be available.

I'm totally for it (with the appropriate restrictions, regulation, etc.). I, and I alone am responsible for my body. I don't know how anyone could be so cruel as to insist that other people suffer unnecessarily for their own "moral benefit".

My dad was effectively killed by a heroin/morphine overdose, administered by a nurse. Legally the drug was administered for pain relief... it's just that advancing death was an "un-controllable side-effect". In reality, I'm pretty sure the doctors and nurses are providing a speedy demise, with the desirable side-effect of analgesia.

I also had to watch my mum die several months ago. When you've seen someone you love struggle with every breathe they take, unable to move or talk or do anything except concentrate on breathing and screaming out in pain, knowing that they will never recover, and the only difference any healthcare will make is whether they suffer pain and suffocation for one hour or a few hundred hours... And when my mum had insisted on "do not resuscitate" notices being placed on file (clearly indicating that she would prefer to be left dead, rather than forced to endure more pain)... You really have to ask what business it is of the government's to insist that she suffer for as long as possible.

I loved my mum more than anything and would have done absolutely anything for her. She'd made it abundantly clear that she didn't want to suffer and, given the legal requirement for suffering, I had to consider whether there was anything I could do to expediate the natural process... and whether and when and how it might be ethically justifiable, and how I could best ensure that my mum was treated honourably, respectfully, and in accordance with her wishes for minimising pain.

Fortunately (?!), when the cancer took over, she deteriorated rapidly and we barely had time to make sure that her friends and family got to say goodbye. I never had to make the decision to take the law into my own hands... Not that I'd actually have the ability to... But I'm furious that, in a time of despair and strong emotions, the government (whose authority over me I challenge, anyway) should not only force me to consider having to commit such a terrible act unprofessionally myself, but also, presumably unavoidably, risk a lifetime in prison.

As I say, I loved my mum enough that I would have been willing to go through that if only to ensure that I could grant her wish of not suffering needlessly. But what a f***ed up way to go. We did briefly talk about going to Switzerland, but that would have required advance planning as you don't want to travel when you're really ill, and she would have been away from friends/family in a foreign country...

The law is a joke, and I am in sheer contempt of it. You might as well suggest that anaesthetic should be made illegal as we have a moral duty to experience pain. It's a disgrace to the dignity of life.

I think if an individual is suffering so bad and there's nothing as far as medical treatment goes that can be done to make the individual more at ease then perhaps it is necessary to consider the possibility that their time to pass on has come. I'm all for giving people the longest and most fulfilling lives they can achieve and understand at some point we will all face our final moments on Earth. It really comes down to what that suffering individual wants because it is their body and they're free to choose for themselves.