View Poll Results: Are you for or against stem cell research?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • For

85 88.54%
  • Against

2 2.08%
  • Unsure/Undecided

9 9.38%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stem Cell Research

Question Stem Cell Research

Curious, but who here supports Stem Cell Research? I understand there's a thread somewhere that involves other ethical opinions, but I can't seem to find it and I feel a lone thread will greatly improve the quality of the posts and the debating arguments involved.

Personally, I'm for Stem Cells. The research could greatly improve the lives of many and achieve amazing break throughs in the medical field. Stem cells can become different cells, such as red blood cells, muscle cells, brain cells and so on. This could greatly improve the lives of those with cancer, those with organ failure, those who have damaged muscle cells, and others.

I see no reason not to research stem cells, especially if doing so could greatly improve the lives of millions and generations to come.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Edit: Ethical, not ethnics. I'm sleepy.
    Last edited by KuroCat; 18-Apr-2012 at 04:58.

For, totally. We could have a cure for cancer sitting in front of our faces.

I agree. I don't think anyone could argue that stem cells are conscious or suffer to any degree, and the potential for relieving suffering is immense.

I am completely for stem cell research. Stems cells used for research usually come from dead fetuses, and let's face it, babies will die before they're born, so why not use them? It's just a waste if we don't use them, not to mention, one of these days stem cells could cure cancer, fix paralysis, and put an end to any other thing that can happen.

Most arguments I've heard against stem cell research are either thinly-veiled or blatant arguments against abortion.

Protip: none of the major debates about "scientific" issues in American politics have anything to do with the actual, underlying science.

I'm totally for it, my grandpa died of Parkinsons Disease, one of the many diseases that significant headway in curing/treating it has been made through stem cell research. The only arguments I've heard against it are, like fruit kitty, only thinly-veiled anti-abortion arguments, when abortion doesn't even have to be part of the equation.

Thing is, stem cell is a fairly loose term to use. There are a lot of ethical considerations in using stem cells from embryos (embryonic stem cell research). However, there is little to no ethical worries with adult stem cells. These are the cells that help regenerate your skin/blood cells/ other types of cells and whilst not as effective as can still be used for a wide variety of applications.

As someone who is entering into the medical profession, i see the potential benefit of stem cell research (in both forms) but i think the application of what you are trying to do is quite important as well. For example, using adult stem cells to create a skin graft in someone would be a lot better then using embryonic stem cells to do the same thing. For starters, it would be better to use the adult stem cell research as there would be better outcomes as the skin graft won't be rejected by the body. So i think each type of research has its own application and that needs to be used appropriately.

Butterfly Mage

The only ones against stem cell research are anti-science religious zealots.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek61 View Post
    However, there is little to no ethical worries with adult stem cells.
    But there are also very few stem cells in the average adult and also those from foetuses and placenta blood are omnipotent whereas those in an adult are pluripotent. While those are pretty good if we really want to move forward in terms of treatment then it would be much better to use the embryonic stem cells because they can become literally any cells.

If you're against stem cell research then you are standing in the way of the progress that we badly need if we ever wish to have a chance of curing genetic diseases or cancers, sure there may be some ethical issues but at the end of the day the progress that will be made seems like a much better alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    But there are also very few stem cells in the average adult and also those from foetuses and placenta blood are omnipotent whereas those in an adult are pluripotent. While those are pretty good if we really want to move forward in terms of treatment then it would be much better to use the embryonic stem cells because they can become literally any cells.

If you're against stem cell research then you are standing in the way of the progress that we badly need if we ever wish to have a chance of curing genetic diseases or cancers, sure there may be some ethical issues but at the end of the day the progress that will be made seems like a much better alternative.
    see, I don't even see why there has to be ethical issues, to me at least it's very simple

leftover embryos from in vitro fertalzation : they would be destroyed anyways so why shouldn't they be put to good use

umbilical cord/placenta : these are just byproducts that are disposed of, why not put them to good use?

fetuses from abortion: the mom would abort anyway, why not put it to good use?

it just seems so simple to me, why wouldn't people want to cure/ treat many of these painful, debilitating and deadly diseases?