View Poll Results: Fabric softener: love it or hate it?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVE IT - I always use it.

5 45.45%
  • AMBIVALENT - It's okay; sometimes I use it, often I don't.

1 9.09%
  • HATE IT - I never use that filthy gloop!

5 45.45%

Thread: Fabric softener: love it or hate it?

Default Fabric softener: love it or hate it?

I have a bit of a passionate dislike for fabric softener. No just on towels and cloth nappies, but on anything. I can't stand the way it feels slimy, gives off a heady aroma and stretches your clothes.

But once I went out with a girl who couldn't get enough of the stuff. She'd put double the recommended amount in every wash and I'm sure she would have drunk it if she could have.

So... who was right? VOTE NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I have a bit of a passionate dislike for fabric softener. No just on towels and cloth nappies, but on anything. I can't stand the way it feels slimy, gives off a heady aroma and stretches your clothes.

But once I went out with a girl who couldn't get enough of the stuff. She'd put double the recommended amount in every wash and I'm sure she would have drunk it if she could have.

So... who was right? VOTE NOW!
    Funny that you asked this, but I too hate fabric softener. I have allergies and I have a sensitive sense of smell, and I hate the smell clothes have that have had the chemical treatment of softener. Of course, you don't want to use something like softener when washing cloth diapers because they clog the pores in the fabric, making the diaper less absorbent. Even on regular clothes, do you really want those chemicals coming in contact with your skin? Hello rash!

Exaaaaaactly! I hate that chemical smell! And the itchy, slimy, slinky weird feeling on your skin. It's bad enough that the smell doesn't resemble any kind of normal non-toxic substance, but when one company comes up with the "black diamond and lotus flower" fragrance, you've really got to ask, "Where the hell did they find a smelly diamond?! And what's it doing in my washing?!".

Basically need it otherwise there are certain clothes I just cannot wear without my skin flaring up and me needing to scratch like mad. All my school shirts had to washed in fabric softener before I would wear them and if my mu forget when she bought some new ones it was always horrible when I'd get to school.

Quote Originally Posted by pajamakitten View Post
    Basically need it otherwise there are certain clothes I just cannot wear without my skin flaring up and me needing to scratch like mad. All my school shirts had to washed in fabric softener before I would wear them and if my mu forget when she bought some new ones it was always horrible when I'd get to school.
    Basically the opposite for me. I have to avoid it, as it really makes my skin flare up badly.

i'm with Tiny and Dogboy. i mean, what's the point of washing your clothes and then putting dirt on them???
    stenchwise, well, i can't walk through Boots without my nasal innards stinging; my mum's 'perfume' gives me nosebleeds and headaches, as do diesel fumes.
    seriously, all these chemicals are no good for you; if they were, they wouldn't have 'avoid contact with eyes/broken skin' and 'do not ingest' on the labels.

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    seriously, all these chemicals are no good for you; if they were, they wouldn't have 'avoid contact with eyes/broken skin' and 'do not ingest' on the labels.
    Actually they would probably still be there so that they can't be sued.

I can't stand the stuff! I have super sensitive skin and Fabric Softener and starch give me hives, so do some detergents and some clothing dyes and fragrances. Even short term contact with the stuff can make me get hives/a rash and I absolutely hate it, it really sucks to have to take a sleeping bag to a hotel :/ and to check if a friend uses fabric softener before cuddling with them.