Thread: Making your own cloth diapers?

Default Making your own cloth diapers?

How do you people go about it, and what's your favorite material to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanu View Post
    How do you people go about it, and what's your favorite material to use?
    For me, flat flannel cloth diapers with smooth and shiny plastic pants are the most comfortable and ultimate diapers to wear when going to bed. The flannel material is purchased at a neighborhood fabric store (FabricLand). The fabric is then cut to make four 28"X36" panels. The edge of the panels are then finished off using the zigzag to prevent fraying. To make the flat diaper ready to wear, two of the four panels are folded twice together (9"X28") and inserted between the two other panels. These diapers are very comfortable and easy to wash and dry as there are not sewed together. They are also very absorbant and never had a leak. If one needs to increase absorbancy, just had more in between panels. They are very economical, environnementally friendly and will last a very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by DL2326 View Post
    For me, flat flannel cloth diapers with smooth and shiny plastic pants are the most comfortable and ultimate diapers to wear when going to bed. The flannel material is purchased at a neighborhood fabric store (FabricLand). The fabric is then cut to make four 28"X36" panels. The edge of the panels are then finished off using the zigzag to prevent fraying. To make the flat diaper ready to wear, two of the four panels are folded twice together (9"X28") and inserted between the two other panels. These diapers are very comfortable and easy to wash and dry as there are not sewed together. They are also very absorbant and never had a leak. If one needs to increase absorbancy, just had more in between panels. They are very economical, environnementally friendly and will last a very long time.
    Same here only I purchase diaper flannel on line and do not finish the cut edges (minor fraying doesn’t bother me).

never did try it but I might one day and I'll use whatever I find is best

Flannel absorbs slowly, but holds a lot. Birdseye absorbs more quickly. Gauze even more quickly, but you need a lot of it.

When I wore cloth, I used one two-layer flannel flat diaper, sized to a rectangle with one side equal to my waist size and the other four inches longer than the distance waist-to-waist through the crotch. I used gauze or birdseye baby diapers as soakers. I used the classic angel-fold (just google it) with the soakers from the crotch to the front inside the folds in the front.

Because the flannel absorbs more slowly, it traps the liquid and lets the faster-absorbing soakers wick it up. That channels it up and away from the sides. If you sleep on your side, that keeps it where the soakers can soak it up rather than running out the side. You can put the absorbency right where you need it and cut down on the bulk of the diaper (especially in the crotch, where it is really uncomfortable).

It took me a long time and a lot of experimentation before I figured that all out. I am a really heavy wetter. That cut the bulk of my diaper in half, which made it a lot more comfortable to sleep. It also cut down on the leaks and the volume of laundry.

i don't actually make them, i just buy bog-standard terry-towelling towels, of hotel-grade thickness. i used to just buy hand towels, but i've more recently taken to buying the bathsheets and cutting them in half (works out cheaper). while quite large, even when halved, i just let the excess gravitate to it's natural position, as does fluid, thereby removing all need for thought about where to put what.
    if i need/want to go for longer, i just add an old hand towel.