Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Nightmare

Default Tax Nightmare

Ok, who else has a good nightmare dealing with taxes to share (especially given the looming deadline)?

Ours (my wife and I) this year is getting monumental. We e-filed early, third week of February, because we were getting refunds (significant $$) from federal and state both. The feds accepted our return, no questions asked. The state rejected our return with no reason given and told us we had to paper file. We did so right away.

Fast forward two months and I put a phone call into the state to find out where the hell our refund is. Should be this week, but I find out the reason that our return was rejected is because someone already filed a return with my wife's SSN. Turns out they used her name and SSN, so we have identity theft.

Credit reports are clean, but we're putting up red flags everywhere. Turns out whoever did this tried to file federal return just a few days after we filed, so they were denied. Even so, trying to get this straight is a nightmare.

Try filing a police report--the police can't do anything until they see written documentation of the identity theft. Call the state asking for documentation, and they will only provide it to the police once they start the investigation. The police will start the investigation once they get the documentation. Bureaucracy at its finest.

Such fun, want to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    Such fun, want to join me?
    NO!!!!
    government, bureaucracy and taxation are the most un-natural things in the world and i shudder.......just shudder, at the thought of them.
    obviously, i've had my own debacles with them and most of it revolves around a denial of something or other. the latest concerns my current state where, in order to get back some of the tax [i've paid] as welfare, at an earlier point it was decreed that whilst being injured and banned from work as such, i wasn't entitled to welfare on that basis; but, once repaired, i would be entitled to welfare for the recovery period (their view, it seems, that the prestige of the medics has precedence over my wellbeing).

and, not 100% sure, but i think i had my official identity stolen years ago. i mislaid all 'my' official documents on a train, only to get back my driving licence about ten years later. during the tens years, the taxman seemed to have difficulties tracking my tax, culminating in a letter they sent to me asking if i'd ever worked at such-and-such a place. i'd never heard of it and it wasn't even in our Yellow Pages. anyway, that seemed to be the last of it, so i'm assuming they caught whomever was trying to be me. imagine, trying to an Ade when you're not
    i wonder if it's actually all been sorted out, though?

anyway, your system, in the US, is far too complex for my money. it sort of reminds me of the Italian police and never being sure who does what and whom you should call about this or that.
    haven't governments ever heard of a one-stop-shop? oh, no, that's the whole point, isn't it? then, they can pass you from pillar to post and for each to pass the buck to the other.
    bullshit baffles brain.

You need to speak to a lawyer who can help sort this out for you. A lawyer would have the necessary knowledge on how to get around you're little problem.

Neither me nor my fiancee made any money in 2011. Our taxes took me about 15 minutes apiece.

My wife is retired on full disability. I make 31,000. a year, yet we have to pay an extra 1400. a quarter to not owe money in April. Truly we, as a nation, are paying a lot in taxes. Interestingly, the Buffet Bill got shot down in the Senate. I guess it's only the rich who don't have to pay their fair share.

For a few years, I was self-employed. Filing a Schedule C, doing estimated quarterly taxes, figuring out self-employment tax (which takes the place of Social Security, except there's no employer to cover the other 7.5 percent so you pay double being self-employed). What a f---ing nightmare! I must not have made enough to catch the IRS' attention, or maybe by some miracle I actually managed to fill in all the forms properly.

I was lucky so far - either I managed to write my return myself within 15 minutes or I got my father's accountant to do it for me for very little money. Either way, my taxes are still rather simple since I make little money.

Identify theft sounds brutal. Best of luck, AnalogRTO.

Regardless of you're political Views, You CANNOT deny that the tax code needs to be redone, and is WAY too complicated when people need to start Hiring someone to do their taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I guess it's only the rich who don't have to pay their fair share.

Im sorry but I HATE it when people use this term. Yes, they can afford to pay more and control more of the wealth, and They do pay more taxes. A LOT more. And you are getting the same basic services, yet they are paying a HUGE amount in cash and % of income. Take Mitt Romney, Yes he "only" payed 20% of his income or something, but think about it...that is still MILLIONS. (For the record I do not support him)

"Fair" share? I think so.

I'm not saying that its wrong that they pay more, I agree with the fact they should.. Its this "oh they're not paying their FAIR share" talk that really gets to me. Especially when something close to half the country doesn't pay income tax at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcaway View Post
    "Fair" share? I think so.

I'm not saying that its wrong that they pay more, I agree with the fact they should.. Its this "oh they're not paying their FAIR share" talk that really gets to me. Especially when something close to half the country doesn't pay income tax at all.
    It's a good thing you're not running our government, then, or we'd all be stuck with regressive tax rates.

You realize the half of the country that doesn't pay income taxes aren't making enough money to provide any meaningful taxation anyway, right? That's alright though, I guess, because it's clearly the fault of the poor that they're poor.

Quote Originally Posted by LazyAB View Post
    we'd all be stuck with regressive tax rates.
    "I'm not saying that its wrong that they pay more, I agree with the fact they should."

Clearly you missed the boat. I am not saying it is wrong or I would change it.