Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Dinner Party

Default Dream Dinner Party

Well, it doesn't have to be a dinner party as such as I shouldn't think that very many people actually have dreams about dinner parties...but if you could draw up a guest list of any five people - living or dead - to spend an evening with, who would fill that list?

I'm going for:

• George Orwell - personal hero of mine whose experiences and ideas would be a joy to hear and discuss.

• Groucho Marx - you've got to have someone to provide the witticisms and anecdotes and I can think of few people better qualified.

• William Shakespeare - I wanted a guest from a far removed time and the greatest writer in the English language seems a sound choice.

• Stephen Fry - not quite in the same category of significance, granted, but I wanted someone contemporary and he's erudite, knowledgeable and funny so he'll do.

• Emeline Pankhurst - would be fascinating to hear her take on modern society and relate all her experiences. Also to stop it being quite such a sausage fest...

Others considered included Mark Twain, Tony Benn, Albert Einstein, John Lennon and, well, many many more.

Your turn!

5 people that I've known/know personally. They don't need to be named. I don't feel a need to meet strangers just because they did amazing things, when I could spend the day/evening with someone that has been, and always will be, close to my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandi View Post
    5 people that I've known/know personally. They don't need to be named. I don't feel a need to meet strangers just because they did amazing things, when I could spend the day/evening with someone that has been, and always will be, close to my heart.
    Do you realise what you've done Mandi?

John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Benjamin Franklin, other assorted goodies.

Can I honestly say, a quiet dinner by myself?

Stephan Hawking -- So I can make remarks about the irony of his situation
    Stephan Colbert -- So I can hear remarks about the irony of politics
    Kenny Kramer -- I want to see how Cosmo Kramer's characteristics could possibly exist in a real person
    Elvis Presley -- To prove once and for all that Elvis lives!
    Jeffery Dahmer -- To study an example of utmost murderous insanity different from the now cliche Ed Gein.

Rance - randomness and mind-blowingly awesome discussion.
    avery - casual, but still intelligent discussion, and to give me a break from Rance.
    Mickal - just to share a pint (or two) with.
    Martin - to bring humour and peace to the table
    Baby Jake - Why wouldn't I want to share a meal with the champion of champions?

Freddy Mercury
    Angela Lansbury
    Dan Brown
    Dan Peterson
    Rita Levi Montalcini

that's all folks

Jesus of Nazareth(pbuh), the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh), Mahatma Gandhi, Adolph Hitler, and Leonardo Davinci.

I think that should make for some interesting conversation at dinner.

All the religious deities.
    So I can tell them to stop making their people police the world.

Leonard Bernstein. I performed in choir under his direction. He was the most amazing and incredible musician I have ever know.

Virgil Fox. I actually knew him when I was a young organist. He was considered the greatest organist, after J. S. Bach I suppose. He liked me of course, probably because I was a young male. Oh well....he did take an interest in my musical development, and he was the most incredible organist I have ever know.

Leopold Stowkowski. I sang under him as well. He loved and encouraged young musicians and established the American Symphony, all comprised by young genius musicians. Even in the 60s, he had a young black female timpanist. He was remarkable for his day, and any day for that matter.

Albert Shweitzer and Albert Einstein. I put them both together because they were good friends. Shweitzer was a pioneer in organ building, played organ quite well, but was know as a great theologian. As a medical doctor, he went to Africa to help the helpless. Einstein changed modern math and physics. He also lived in Princeton at the think tank. I used to go there as a student and observe greatness, even though by then, he was no longer living.

Of course, Jesus of Nazareth. What a peace and comfort it would be to be in his presence. When I was clinically dead, I experienced that peace. It's quite amazing. Imagine being able to ask Jesus, so....what do you think about the election?