Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 beta testing

Default Windows 8 beta testing

I started running Windows 8 beta about a month ago,(you can download it free here Windows 8 Consumer Preview) and was wondering if anybody else has tried it yet. Has anyone had any problems? The only problem I've had is my wifi turning its self off if I leave my computer running but not use it for a long period of time, but it's an ease fix and takes less than a minute to fix.

I've given it a quick try. I use OSX at home but I support Windows for my day job.

The new UI is a bit of a shock to get used to. Had to fumble around for a lot of things. Not something I'd expect businesses dashing towards using. I'm expecting most places to stick with Windows 7 much as they have with Windows XP.

I can understand the use of the Metro UI for tablets, but I'm still a bit confused how Microsoft is making the OS user-friendly for traditional desktop/laptop users. I think we'll just have to wait and see what happens from this.

I agree with you hailstorm. Most likely companies will continue using windows 7 or even XP as it suits their needs fine. The new UI and design philosophy has a steep learning curve, but I like the functionality it brings. I'm especially excited for windows 8 laptop/tablet hybrids which I think is where this OS will excel. On my laptop the metro UI is nothing more than a fancy Start menu, sometimes I use fullscreen metro UI apps, or better yet use the quarter screen docking feature (I really like that feature I hope lots of apps that support that in meaningful ways). But if I had one of those slate PCs I think I'd get a lot more mileage out of the metro UI and it would be fantastic to be able to go from metro/app style UI for tablet mode, and be able to dock it on a keyboard and just use the desktop UI for awhile. That's been something I've wanted for awhile now, and I'm glad there's finally some steps being made toward making it feasible/

I gave it a try, first they released the developer preview which i couldnt do a thing with, its such a mess, i tried the consumer preview when they released it. Its a more refined cluttered mess than the previous cluttered mess but still needs a lot of work. They've basically just ported the latest windows phone OS to work with Windows 7. It was only a few years ago when Windows 7 was released, its obviously just a big money ploy from microsoft. I wont be throwing my money at them this time, nothing windows can do that i cant do with Linux,

Have tried it on a spare laptop I was given for free recently. Was not impressed, I can see how it would have it's uses for tablets and other such touchscreen PC's, but such devices that actually run Windows would barely make up 1% of new PC's, so I can't quite understand what Microsoft was going for making it the next major Windows release.

Supposedly, once you've bought and activated it, you can turn off Metro completely. I honestly don't see the point, I like Windows 7, however am already on the verge of migrating completely to Linux, as all I ever do is a lot of web use, media consumption and such that I could easily accomplish on there. If Vista didn't push me over, this very well might. I'll keep my keyboard and mouse over a touchscreen any day. This feels too much like a phone or a tablet to me, which I don't hate as they do have their places, but that place is not on my desktop computer.

I installed it a few months ago... took one look... and formatted the hard drive. Thank god for Linux!

I didn't even download it. I read a few reviews, and was pretty much like: "This is Windows Phone on PC. What the fuck were thinking???" Horrible addition to an already...I'm gonna stop there before I anger the Windows fanbois

Quote Originally Posted by EarendurAldarion View Post
    I didn't even download it. I read a few reviews, and was pretty much like: "This is Windows Phone on PC. What the fuck were thinking???" Horrible addition to an already...I'm gonna stop there before I anger the Windows fanbois
    I don't think there are too many Windows fanboys out there, though I could be wrong. Most of the people who use Windows merely tolerate it because they have to in order to use their favorite programs (or because they don't know about the alternatives available).

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by LBcub View Post
    The new UI and design philosophy has a steep learning curve, but I like the functionality it brings.
    Supposedly, Microsoft is going to tack on a "Welcome to Windows 8" video with the final release to showcase how to use the new UI with different input methods (touchscreen, keyboard & mouse, etc). This will be a smart move on their part, since the new design might scare off the average consumer who would be reluctant to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf3188 View Post
    Have tried it on a spare laptop I was given for free recently. Was not impressed, I can see how it would have it's uses for tablets and other such touchscreen PC's, but such devices that actually run Windows would barely make up 1% of new PC's, so I can't quite understand what Microsoft was going for making it the next major Windows release.
    I can dig Windows 8, but not on a laptop that only supports single-touch. Although it is possible to navigate the UI with only a keyboard, using a touch pad is just painful. I'd say a mouse is a definite must-have if you plan on installing Win8 on a laptop.

Microsoft is trying to bring a unified experience to all devices with Windows 8. The problem is, the new interface favors touch input heavily, leaving desktops and laptops in the dust. Another goal of Windows 8 is to keep up with other operating systems which have already broken into the tablet market (Android and Apple). Microsoft understands that tablets are a very lucrative market, especially when it comes to apps, which is why they are offering a better deal to developers than Apple. After your app nets $25,000, Microsoft gives you 80% of the profit, up from the 70% given before your app hits that milestone.