Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plastic eating mushroom

Cherub

Default Plastic eating mushroom

I was rather surprised, I read this artilce. I have never heard of this particular mushroom. Has anyone else heard of it? Then I got to thinking, "Hey, wait a minute, a fungus that eats plastic,,,even in an environment like the bottom of landfills. Could this mean that diapers will no longer have to clog up landfill space and takes hundreds of years to decompose?" I would like to think that this simple fungus has huge potential. Maybe they will find a way to incorporate them into current land fills or maybe find a way to drill down into old land fills and inject the fungus spores so that the plastics that have already been buried can at last begin to be decomposed.

What are you guys thoughts on this? Is this a good thing?

teddybear206

dang i never woulda thought of that.... you need to get that idea out thats really smart!

Polyethylene - to - shroom conversion? I love it!

If you could get it to grow in a landfill. But getting anything to live in a landfill is hard. Even paper and food waste won't rot if it is buried deep enough.

If the mushrooms were useful for something it could be a way to recycle diapers.

Supersam1223

I think that this is an interesting concept..... That the government will ignore for 10 years and then waste billions on research before they actually do anything with it.

P.S. I sometimes walk my dog on a landfill site, it's actually a really good place to walk him, 'cause it's just a massive open space, and there's always load of other dogs.

Spearmint

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    If you could get it to grow in a landfill. But getting anything to live in a landfill is hard. Even paper and food waste won't rot if it is buried deep enough.

If the mushrooms were useful for something it could be a way to recycle diapers.
    That said, it would still be a great idea in the future, especially if we could find a better way to design landfills in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post
    That said, it would still be a great idea in the future, especially if we could find a better way to design landfills in the first place.
    It depends on what the goal would be. At some point it stops being land-filling and start being recycling. If we ever get to the point where something useful can be made will all the stuff currently going to landfills people will start mining old landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersam1223 View Post
    I think that this is an interesting concept..... That the government will ignore for 10 years and then waste billions on research before they actually do anything with it.

P.S. I sometimes walk my dog on a landfill site, it's actually a really good place to walk him, 'cause it's just a massive open space, and there's always load of other dogs.
    That's not fair to say. First of all, in the UK (or at least in Scotland) the goverment is always banging on about cutting waste. The reccession has slowed everything down, but it's not like they don't see it as a priority.

Secondly, lot's of money SHOULD be used on researching this before putting it into place. The amount of damage we could do to the enviroment if there is something we are unaware of is absurd. To name one thing, introducing this fungus to a large food source could easily attract a group of animals that eat it and surge their population growth, which could devestate ecosystems and threaten towns.

Supersam1223

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingBlueWolf View Post
    That's not fair to say. First of all, in the UK (or at least in Scotland) the goverment is always banging on about cutting waste. The reccession has slowed everything down, but it's not like they don't see it as a priority.

Secondly, lot's of money SHOULD be used on researching this before putting it into place. The amount of damage we could do to the enviroment if there is something we are unaware of is absurd. To name one thing, introducing this fungus to a large food source could easily attract a group of animals that eat it and surge their population growth, which could devestate ecosystems and threaten towns.
    I agree with what you are saying entirely, though there is a difference between saying and doing, and I get the impression that more is being said than done, as with most, if not all, things in the government.

I also agree on your second point, a lot of money should be spent on it, but that doesn't mean that the government wont also waste a lot of money.

Cherub

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingBlueWolf View Post
    This is also very true. HOWEVER, this IS at least a concept well worth investigating and researching. You have to start somewhere, and this sounds as good a place as any to begin researching. At face value, it currently sounds like the best lead we have going on the problem with plastics in landfills.