Thread: Set the records straight!

Default Set the records straight!

AB/Dls are not pedophiles!

Paraphilic infantilism, also known as autonepiophilia[1] and adult baby syndrome[2] can be a sexual fetish for some that involves role-playing a regression to an infant-like state.[3][4] Behaviors may include drinking from a bottle or wearing diapers.[2][5] Individuals may engage in gentle and nurturing experiences[6] (an adult who only engages in infantilistic play is known as an adult baby[7]) or be attracted to masochistic, coercive, punishing or humiliating experiences.[6] Diaper fetishism involves "diaper lovers" wearing diapers for sexual or erotic reasons but may not involve infant-like behavior.[8] Individuals who experience both of these things are referred to as adult baby/diaper lovers (AB/DL).[9][10] When wearing diapers, infantilists may urinate or defecate in them.[4]

There is no recognized etiology for infantilism and little research on the subject. It has been linked to masochism and a variety of other paraphilias. Though commonly confused with pedophilia the two conditions are distinct and infantilists do not seek children as sexual partners. A variety of causes has been proposed, including altered lovemaps, imprinting gone awry and errors in erotic targets, though there is no consensus. Paraphilic infantilism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This thread seems unnecessary. Nobody on this site (that I know of) is claiming that any of us are paedophiles - we all know that we're not. If you're trying to convince other people in the world in general that we are not paedophiles, why would they join a diaper site and look at the opinion of the people there (who are of course going to say they're not either way) to make up their minds. They're going to use google and look at other things, one of which might well be the Wikipedia article you've put there anyway.

If you personally believe this general misconception is prevalent in the public image and needs to be sorted, then why not say that. Then people could perhaps give their thought on how to change this. As it stands though, this thread isn't saying that at all and just seems to be telling us all what we know. Please clarify your intentions.

EDIT: Just wish to clarify, I do not mean that no ABDLs are paedophiles. I mean it is unlikely that many if any of the people on this site are. There will of course be people in any group of a significant size who are paedophiles, that's plain statistics for you. Judging by disturbing pictures I've had the misfortune to come across, I can certainly strongly suggest they exist.
    Last edited by WoodlandWanderer; 11-Apr-2012 at 14:44. Reason: adding clarification

Without evidence, I will have to disagree. I think what you mean to say is that being an ABDL does not involve pedophilia or lead to it; it's independent. I don't think there's anything about being an ABDL that prevents a person from being a pedophile. Also, given the amount of questionable imagery I've come across over the years (thankfully much less often more recently), I'd be surprised if we were any less susceptible than any other group.

Even if we didn't have pedophiles among us (as any group might), I think we'd still be tarred with this brush. A sexual or unusual interest in infantile things is going to prompt the question from reasonable people. I think the best approach is to understand why people would ask such a question and explain why it doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't think there's anything about being an ABDL that prevents a person from being a pedophile.
    We have a higher LGBT proportion than you do in the general population and I suspect it's the same with paedophilia but there is very little to no causal link between paedophilia and being an AB/DL.

I know why I said it. Several members have recounted being labeled as possible pedophiles when their AB/DL side was uncovered. It made me get on my soapbox. I have been an AB/DL my whole life and I get defensive. Thanks for the criticism.

As others have stated, this is very much a straw man argument when debated on this site. I doubt very much that anyone here would disagree with your position that just because one has ABDL tendencies, does not mean they are also pedophiles. I appreciate where you're coming from and I agree. Please be careful with this though. While it is true that not all ABDLs are pedophiles, it is certainly not true that all ABDLs are not pedophiles. Unfortunately there have been at least a few in the past (i am too lazy to site sources right now but it wouldn't be difficult to prove). What really sucks is that whenever an ABDL gets busted for an illegal act, the fact that they were wearing a diaper tends to be sensationalized by the media. Of course, though the diaper may have nothing to do with the offense, it is automatically associated with it. It stands to reason then that the average person would incorrectly assume that all ABDLs must be perverts, especially if the first time they have heard of ABDL Is in this negative light.