Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night nappy rash

Default Night nappy rash

So I wear abenas to bed, and usually have them totally soaked by the morning.

Problem is I've developed nappy rash and don't know how to treat it during the day when it really hurts but I don't have a nappy on.

Tips appreciated

Lots n lots of moisturization to keep your cracked peeling skin from getting worse, the best thing is to let it breath, keep it soft and moisturized and to not abraze it or irritate it.

Generally speaking, you skin will tell you if you're treating it well for healing. If what you're doing stops it from hurting, or lessens the pain/discomfort, you're doing the right thing. From time to time in the past (tho not recently thanks!) I've gotten rashes etc, and sometimes my skin needs to air out, sometimes the biggest issue is preventing skin to skin contact (leak guards ftw!) and sometimes my skin has wanted some coating. (vaseline etc) Once I have a rash I don't think baby lotion helps though. Rubbing on the affected skin is usually bad. Baby powder can be a good or a bad thing, sometimes it dries out the skin too much and makes things worse. Powder is usually good for minor issues, but not good if it's gotten bad enough.

I find those conditions improve faster overnight than during the day, probably due to reduced friction. Most of my conditions have been in the fold between the jewels and the sides of the thighs, so I put on a lightweight diaper, powder up, and off to bed. Usually things have improved by morning. Sometimes takes a few days though.

I found Bepanthen to be amazing at treating nappy rash, although it's too greasy to use when you're not padded. I think Sudocrem is less greasy, so maybe that would be worth a go? Or something like Neutrogena's Dermatological Cream (which is great for dry, cracked hands too)...?

There's a lot of options for treating diaper/nappy rash but as has been said the best choice is air.
    As for creams and ointments I think it's mainly personal preference as they all basically contain the same main ingredients. I myself use Balmex but any of the others would work as well. Powder is usually the worst thing you can use to prevent or treat a rash as it gets wet and clumps holding urine, and sweat against the skin. If you've tried all these methods and your rash still hasn't cleared up or doesn't look to be healing it could be due to yeast and at that point an anti-fungal might be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    I found Bepanthen to be amazing at treating nappy rash, although it's too greasy to use when you're not padded. I think Sudocrem is less greasy, so maybe that would be worth a go? Or something like Neutrogena's Dermatological Cream (which is great for dry, cracked hands too)...?
    Thanks I'll give sudocreme a try! I asked this as I tried no nappy and bepanthen, and it was awfully greasy and went through my clothes!

You might try one of those antibiotic ointments as well. That's what I have used. Gold Bond healing might work well.

Desitin works well for me but I've gotten some odd looks from women when out in public. You can't hide the smell of it.

I'd stay away from antibiotics. No need to take those if you don't have a confirmed infection.

Change your diaper more often, let your skin air out as long as possible and use a barrier cream. Zinc based cream worked for me. But like said above, it's only when padded, because it's not compatible with non absorbant underwears. (o:

Also, if you happen to mess your diaper, don't hang around in it, change it immediatly.