A while ago someone mentioned in a thread about the use of water beads in their diaper. it was a while ago, and I can't find the exact thread the comment appeared in. So I thought to start a new thread.
Today while I had some time to burn, I stopped in at my local Wal Mart and bought a package of water beads. I heard they are made of the same SAP material found in diapers.
I wanted to conduct a small test to see a few things.
1) How fast they grew
2) How big they got
3) How strong they were under pressure.
Well, today I finally got my curiosities answered and thought to share the results on here.
First the water beads were $2 a pack at Wal Mart
They were very small and rather hard. If I didn't know any better I might have thought they were plastic bb's.
I picked 10 dry water beads from the bag and dropped them into a shallow bowl of water. I began running a timer the moment I dumped them into the water.
Almost instantly I could see some of the blue coloring coming off the beads as they began to grow.
The instructions on the package said that they beads should reach their full-grown size in about 5 to 6 hours. I only had just over 1 hour to run my experiment. So, after exactly 1 hour passed I pulled one of the beads out of the bowl for a size comparison.
Then I scooped the rest out of the water and cupped them in the palm of my hand. I then squeezed as hard as I could and to my surprise none of them ruptured. They all returned to their ball-like shape. I then squeezed and relaxed and squeezed my hand several times (about 5 or 6 times) and again none of them popped or ruptured. With this much pressure exerted on the water beads, I was satisfied enough to think they probably would not fall apart, or rupture if I were to pour them into my diaper.
I then put them on a fabric surface and pressed down on them and moved my hand back and fourth. Only then, did the water beads break down into the messy SAP that is commonly seen from inside a wet diaper.
I don't know if there is a size difference in SAP polymer, but the SAP polymer used in these water beads were easier to clean up than those from a wet diaper. of course then again, I only used 10 water beads and not an entire wet diaper.
I just thought I would share my little experiment with anyone who might find this interesting. I do plan on using these in my diaper next time I wear one. I will report back on how that experiment goes.