Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the heck man?!?!?!?!?!

Angry What the heck man?!?!?!?!?!

[Removed]

What, for the love of God, is everyone's beef with Fox News channel?

Don't try to feed me that cock and bull story that it's biased. Everyone knows that. In response I say look at MSNBC. It's completely for Liberals. CNN is the only one not completely biased. I mean it is, but not to the extent of MSNBC or Fox.

I see it all over ADISC. Everyone piles up on Fox News for their reporting. Not a single person says anything about MSNBC but me.

Sound off ADISC because I really want to know. I'm tired of the double-standard. Just my

(For the record, I watch MSNBC, FOX, and CNN)
    Last edited by HogansHeroes; 24-Mar-2012 at 06:17. Reason: first rule of rep club...

Cygnus

Everything is biased, there's no escape. Every single news station will report differently depending on who their audience is and who the writer is. It's a fact of life. Sure, some sources are more biased than others, but everything is biased. Reality is perception. Different perceptions of reality produce different thoughts and actions.

If you want unbiased information, go to dreamland.

Ok I don't watch any news channels but the american system for deciding what the news is seems a little bit beyond comprhension, you have 3 competing channels non of which report halfway balanced opinions on the news. The UK news papers are a little bit the same, but at least they acknowledge the other side of the debate before attempting to debunk it.

Over here we do get some news channels notably Sky News and BBC News. Sky is in the pocket of BSkyB formally owned by Rupert Murdoch who is the biggest news blunder that's occurred to the UK in my lifetime and now owned by his son James Murdoch, who is just as corrupt. While the BBC cannot have opinions that offend it's viewers as they all technically own it so usually their stance is anti government and pro-intelligent arguments, but no writer/editor ever strikes a perfect balance and everything has a slant in it somewhere.

I don't think that the news is some thing that comes without a certain degree of bias and the trick is in learning where the facts end and the interpretation begins. I say better yet find the evidence and make some reasoned discussion for yourself.

Evidence is a problem because you don't always have access to a real source only to the conclusions drawn by news organisations. Personally I like the idea that if your going to cite evidence then use copypasta and link to original in spoiler tags; if you just point at a page and go it's on here then people won't read and they will think you haven't found any real evidence either but if you quote something and make your point from an extract they can look it up and you're already on the leading foot.

Reasoned is a problem because of fallacies that everyone preforms. I myself have fallen for (and occasionally deliberately exploited) the fallacy of causation vs correlation*, and redcutio ad absurdum* on many occasions just on ADISC. The OP (given the mod edit) has been subject to ad hominem, which means people have attacked him not his argument. There is a whole field of fallacies on statistics, which most people exploit including but not exclusive to small sample generalisations* and % vs figures*. Then there's circular arguments, slippery slopes, straw man, and many more*.

*read spoiler for explinations

Finally there's Discussion and this seems to be the most problematic because very few seem to want to discuss anything only shout at each other allong the lines of you're wrong, or prove it. Rather than following the path of I believe I'm right, here's my logic; find a flaw in it or convince me there are over riding factors, and be sure to cite some real evidence, like I have.

I think you've answered your own question: Fox News is biased towards the US conservative right, not just in it's editorial position, but also in it's reporting. Since, almost no-one on ADISC is a member of the US conservative right, it's not surprising they don't like it.

What is it that you have against MSNBC - that it broadly supports an agenda that you oppose, or that it has an agenda at all? If it's the first, then you don't really have an argument, if it's the second, then I have some sympathy for your point of view, and I would suggest you vote for people who will bring back broadcasting regulations which require political neutrality.

---------- Post added at 06:47 ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Elum View Post
    Everything is biased, there's no escape. Every single news station will report differently depending on who their audience is and who the writer is. It's a fact of life. Sure, some sources are more biased than others, but everything is biased. Reality is perception. Different perceptions of reality produce different thoughts and actions.

If you want unbiased information, go to dreamland.
    It's true that there's no such thing as completely impartial news reporting, but there's still a big difference between
    a) reporting that is careful to double check information and take opposing interpretations into consideration, and
    b) reporting that is self consciously serving a special agenda, especially if it's a party political one.
    Type B is all right in it's place, but plenty of Type A is really essential.

For me, I am no fan of Fox News at all but I will watch it because I like to get news from both sides of the coin if you will. I'm not a fan of MSNBC in the past few years because of the people they have on there. I liked MSNBC in it's early heydays before it changed to what it is now. I don't watch MSNBC at all now. During the day, my TV is mostly tuned to CNN and Fox News respectively and ESPNews for my sports fixes.

I'm also a liberal democrat and not a member of the conservative right. But, I get my news from both because I like to be informed. I think if you only get one side of the news, you're not getting the whole story. That's why I kind of like the biased approach sometimes.

WildThing121675

They're incredibly biased and never let the opposing side get a word in edge-wise. Example: Fox News talking about Mass Effect's sex scene.

Bill O'Reilly also likes to shove his religion into his political debates, and he can't grasp basic logic. Example: "Tide goes in; tide comes out, you can't explain that."

Not only that, but they seem to denounce every other religion as inferior. It can become increasingly obvious. One year, a group of atheists held an "Atheist Christmas," and the two anchors talked about how they would never let anything like that happen in their community and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerDude View Post
    Don't try to feed me that cock and bull story that it's biased. Everyone knows that. In response I say look at MSNBC. It's completely for Liberals. CNN is the only one not completely biased. I mean it is, but not to the extent of MSNBC or Fox.

I see it all over ADISC. Everyone piles up on Fox News for their reporting. Not a single person says anything about MSNBC but me.
    MSNBC takes a stance on the left without apology. Fox will deliberately distort reality to match conservative viewpoints.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraRiddle View Post
    I think you've answered your own question: Fox News is biased towards the US conservative right, not just in it's editorial position, but also in it's reporting. Since, almost no-one on ADISC is a member of the US conservative right, it's not surprising they don't like it.

What is it that you have against MSNBC - that it broadly supports an agenda that you oppose, or that it has an agenda at all? If it's the first, then you don't really have an argument, if it's the second, then I have some sympathy for your point of view, and I would suggest you vote for people who will bring back broadcasting regulations which require political neutrality.
    I think that my problem with MSNBC is that it has an agenda all its own. However at the same time, it shouldn't have one. The same goes for all news agencies. Still, without agendas would we really have any news at all in this country?

I honestly didn't think to tell myself that most wouldn't be Conservatives.(Brain gets laggy after being up for 19 hours)

WildThing121675, you are one of the rare ones. Most stick to their respective agenda's news channels.

Ok KuroCat, I know their not the only biased news channel. I seem to recall a debate on the healthcare law where an MSNBC host wouldn't let the guest get a word in. In the same interview, at the end of it, he said, "whatever, you're wrong anyway". Been a few years since i've seen it and I haven't looked it up since I saw it on tv but just thought i'd mention it.

Thank y'all for replying. I realize I'm fighting a no win battle but I do rather enjoy seeing everyone's opinions. It is nice to know that intelligence still exists.
    ~DrummerDude

I don't like any big media outlets.
    They are all corrupted and biased!

I just gave up on all the main stream media outlets. I conduct my own research and follow alternative media sources.