Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subtle ways to make a room more "babyish"?

Default Subtle ways to make a room more "babyish"?

I live in a small apartment, so I cannot paint walls or build a nursery. Does anyone have advice on subtle ways to possible make my bedroom more like a nursery or a toddler's room? (Such as decor, lighting, etc)

Uhm...
    Plastic sheet?
    Changing mat?
    Bed-wetting graph
    Teddy Bear
    Disney sheets
    Night light
    A baby mobile above your bed

Whelp, that all I can think of at the moment XD

posters and bluetak it can successfully turn any space into something a little more student I don't see why it would turn a place a bit baby. Just pick something baby you like and see if you can find a poster version, either that or print off colour pictures on A4 paper and slick those up

as you can't paint posters could be a way, bedding is another way, plushies around the room, night lights, moblies, bed bumpers, floor mats, lamp shades (or for really nice colourings on walls use colour filters round the lamp shade, i personally love the colour that a rosco cinegel 3029 (silent frost), a rosco cinelux 62 (booster blue) and gets corrected with a cal colour 4215 15 blue gives out) and maybe the furnitaure if the apartment is unfuinished

Talking

-Night light
    -colored lamp (I have a floor lamp that has rainbow plastic shades over the bulbs and it casts a really nice warm light :3)
    -kids bedding
    -kid's rug (they sell some awesome and in-expensive rugs at target and sometimes they'll match a bedding set!)
    -Kid's posters; like disney princess or colorful animal prints
    -removable wall decals (again target sells these to match some of their bedding/ room sets)(some target room sets have dedicated rugs, pillows, bedding, wall decals, curtains, lamps and trash cans, the whole shebang! and can make even a plain white room look pretty spiffy)
    -get one off those cube book cases and use it to display things like plushies, crayons and coloring books, toys etc, makes a room look more babyish/kiddish and also serves as a useful organization tool! they also sell little basket type things that fit inside the cubes in the bookcase to store things like a set of blocks or some diapers in. these also come in cute little kid colors and designs!

plus side basically everything mentioned here can be bought on the cheap from places like walmart or target

good luck and have fun!!

I've had plenty of experience with this ^^;

*First thing, kids' sheets/comforter/pillow. The bed tends to command the most attention in any bedroom, it being the biggest thing, so some bedding with your favorite cartoon characters is a great start. The most common size for kids' bedding is Twin, but there are plenty of Full size options as well. Queen/King size, probably not.

*Curtains, preferably ones that match your bedding

*A cute rug can do wonders for a room. I have one of those road rugs that are meant to double as a playspace for Matchbox cars ^^

*If a full crib isn't possible or isn't your thing, you could get clip-on partial bed rails. This one looks like it can slide underneath the mattress if you ever want to hide it: Amazon.com: Regalo Hide Away Bed Rail - White: Baby

*Posters are good for wall decor, though it still strikes me as more of an older kids'/teen/college age thing. I don't remember having any posters in my room until I was old enough to put them up myself. Framed pictures or those removable wall stickers seem more like something that would be found in a young child's room. I remember having Disney babies stickers on my wall when I was very little.

*On the topic of walls, you don't necessarily have to settle with white walls, even if you can't paint them. Fabric wall hangings can work wonders and they don't have to be expensive. A favorite method of mine is to just use very inexpensive flat sheets (which can be purchased separately from a set). Pick your favorite color (or colors--a rainbow would be neat) and a blank wall and have fun. To hang them flat, I would recommend just using several small finishing nails straight along the top of each sheet. If you can't use nails, the largest Command hooks will work; this is what I did, here's a photo:

The sheets had a 'scalloped' look because I gathered the corners and middle with yarn, then used the yarn to tie the curtains onto the hooks, like this:

I used Twin sized sheets to do this. It wasn't too hard and it made the room look a lot less apartment-bland. I didn't have any issues with the Command hooks falling down at this apartment, but I did at my previous one; different kinds of paint surfaces, I guess. In general, I recommend nails or screw-in hooks.

*Apart from all that 'big' stuff, the details matter, too: a plushie or two on the bed (or in one of these: Amazon.com: Whitmor 6437-413 6 Pink and White Hanging Toy Net: Home & Kitchen), maybe a nightlight, a decorative lamp with multicolored bulbs, those glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling, or some of your favorite childrens' books on the shelf for bedtime reading.

Have fun decorating

Quote Originally Posted by Tygon View Post
    I've had plenty of experience with this ^^;

*First thing, kids' sheets/comforter/pillow. The bed tends to command the most attention in any bedroom, it being the biggest thing, so some bedding with your favorite cartoon characters is a great start. The most common size for kids' bedding is Twin, but there are plenty of Full size options as well. Queen/King size, probably not.

*Curtains, preferably ones that match your bedding

*A cute rug can do wonders for a room. I have one of those road rugs that are meant to double as a playspace for Matchbox cars ^^

*If a full crib isn't possible or isn't your thing, you could get clip-on partial bed rails. This one looks like it can slide underneath the mattress if you ever want to hide it: Amazon.com: Regalo Hide Away Bed Rail - White: Baby

*Posters are good for wall decor, though it still strikes me as more of an older kids'/teen/college age thing. I don't remember having any posters in my room until I was old enough to put them up myself. Framed pictures or those removable wall stickers seem more like something that would be found in a young child's room. I remember having Disney babies stickers on my wall when I was very little.

*On the topic of walls, you don't necessarily have to settle with white walls, even if you can't paint them. Fabric wall hangings can work wonders and they don't have to be expensive. A favorite method of mine is to just use very inexpensive flat sheets (which can be purchased separately from a set). Pick your favorite color (or colors--a rainbow would be neat) and a blank wall and have fun. To hang them flat, I would recommend just using several small finishing nails straight along the top of each sheet. If you can't use nails, the largest Command hooks will work; this is what I did, here's a photo:

The sheets had a 'scalloped' look because I gathered the corners and middle with yarn, then used the yarn to tie the curtains onto the hooks, like this:

I used Twin sized sheets to do this. It wasn't too hard and it made the room look a lot less apartment-bland. I didn't have any issues with the Command hooks falling down at this apartment, but I did at my previous one; different kinds of paint surfaces, I guess. In general, I recommend nails or screw-in hooks.

*Apart from all that 'big' stuff, the details matter, too: a plushie or two on the bed (or in one of these: Amazon.com: Whitmor 6437-413 6 Pink and White Hanging Toy Net: Home & Kitchen), maybe a nightlight, a decorative lamp with multicolored bulbs, those glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling, or some of your favorite childrens' books on the shelf for bedtime reading.

Have fun decorating
    Very helpful, thank you!

Yah as mentioned, stuffed animals, kids bedding, baby toys etc. I think a cute rug helps a lot to. I like plain shag rugs because they are comfy to sit and play on, but nursery rugs are great in general. I have a kidult room; it can easily be made up to be a big kid room but seldom is.

Kids bed sheets are obvious, but I don't think they are a must. Baby stuffed animals are the best. Half my stuffed animals are jingly rattle toys that crinkle when you squeeze them. I normally keep an over sized bottle for bedtime on the bed too, and the bed and floor are normally covered in baby activity toys(you can see my favorite teather rattle on the bed) but I cleaned up today. Also crinkly plastic bed sheets, so when you climb into bed its all crinkles and jingles. The turtle toy on the shelf is a constellation nightlight, and there is a lullaby sleep sheep hiding somewhere. I have a lot of art prints, but you can get super awesome nursery prints on etsy that look slick while be

I am just waiting for summer to build a rocking horse and toddler bed.

Obviously you cant paint, but you can still put stuff on the walls to make up for that. The rest is just balancing out your baby stuff and you normal stuff. For me it is the baby plushies I love the most. Stuffed animals always scream little, but baby plushies are extra cute and tend to be made out of different and more colorful material. So yah, lots of accessories. Also baby plushies are meant to be, and totally fun to chew on.

Can get cute kids sheets, comforters, pillow cases for your bed. I seen lots in twin and full sizes.
    Put a couple plushies on it.

Curtains. If you can hang pics and posters. A couple toys here and there.
    One of those themed throw blankets.