Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doomsday Preppers, Thoughts?

Default Doomsday Preppers, Thoughts?

OK, so I got sucked into watching this show. Some of these people are just to much, but I cant stop watching. What's your thoughts?

For the most part the people seem rational enough to know how to stock pile and have shown proper gun training. At least from the first 2 episodes since that's all I bothered to watch. It's not bad to know how to survive/live without modern conveniences anyways.

Plus for the record this is national geographic which will edit footage to make you look worse then you really are. As confirmed with the Ab episode of Taboo with Baby Stanley.

I'm a preper (not really a 'doomsday preper') and I have hundreds of cans of food on my shelves... absolutely nothing wrong with that!

What did National Geographic do to edit the Baby Stanley programe? I havn't watched it in full yet, is there anywhere I can watch it is full on the internet?

i think its a interesting hobby but from what i saw a lot of them would fail in a actual apocalypse.

It's better to have that stuff and not need it then to need it and not have it.
    A lot of them seem to be doing really well not relying on a lot of the modern conveniences that people take for granted.
    I think it is very interesting and if I was older with my own house I would definitely store up on some cans and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elain View Post
    I'm a preper (not really a 'doomsday preper') and I have hundreds of cans of food on my shelves... absolutely nothing wrong with that!

What did National Geographic do to edit the Baby Stanley programe? I havn't watched it in full yet, is there anywhere I can watch it is full on the internet?
    they just made them look worse they what they really are, such as only showing that one portion of their lives. But this is standard practice for TV shows trying to pull in ratings.

Haven't actually seen the show, but my guess is what others have said.. national geographic (and many others) are good at selective editing. I'm sure if someone filmed me for any length of time, they could make me look like I have no life outside my computer (which is only 75% true at _most_!).

I think a lot of people have this as a hobby. It's like any other hobby (gear heads, cryptonerds, whatever) .. people go beyond practical because it is something they enjoy, and of course some take it way too seriously. You can see it in forums where people discuss "every day carry" .. literally what they carry with them whilst going about their day. Huge discussions about how many knives and flashlights they manage to lug around with them.. the merits of some types over the other, etc. I suspect most people know it's silly.. but if they are enjoying it.. what's the harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    they just made them look worse they what they really are, such as only showing that one portion of their lives. But this is standard practice for TV shows trying to pull in ratings.
    Really, it's not so much a question of trying to skew how a person looks or make them seem crazy, at least in many cases. It's much more a case of trying to present a coherent narrative that people can follow. Given that, in this case, the focus of the show is on preparing for a catastrophic event, using the 42 minutes to show more about how people are doing that rather than spending 10 of those minutes showing unrelated stuff that these people do seems like a much better use of time. Television and film is about storytelling. It's also worth remembering that to get that 42 minutes, they probably shot 42 hours of footage. Not all of it can make the cut.

As for the show itself, it really does suck you in eh? Personally, I wonder how much other stuff these people miss out on in life preparing for events that are, for the most part, really really unlikely to happen. I also wonder what a civilization founded by these people would look like, since most of them are armed to the teeth and are much more threat-based thinking than coalition-building and improvement thinking.

Show is my new addiction among with doomsday bunkers

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDooKiddo View Post
    Show is my new addiction among with doomsday bunkers
    i saw a part of doomsday bunkers today. It's interesting if there's nothing else on, both are better then some reality shows out there.

I'll eat barbed wire fencing before I watch anymore shit like Storage Wars.