Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Children's Medicine

Thumbs up Favorite Children's Medicine

Do/Did you have a favorite?

I always enjoyed a good cough syrup with wild cherry flavoring added. That was the only part of catching a cold I liked. In fact, I've never had a cough syrup I didn't like when I was a kid. I also enjoyed sucking on cough drops put out by Luden's, Vicks, and Smith Brothers. Cherry, again, was my all time favorite flavor, but I also enjoyed the black licorice flavored SB cough drops. A box of them cost 10 cents when I was a kid, which seemed pricey because a box of candy the same size was only 5 cents. So, as good as they tasted, I'd rather get two boxes of candy for my money than one box of cough drops.

Another medicine I enjoyed was children's Coricidin for congestion from colds. The tablets were small, covered with colored speckles, and chewable. They had a great taste! Coricidin still makes congestion medicine, but I haven't seen the children's version for many years.

For sore throats, there was a lozenge that used to come in a round, clear tube. The lozenges were round, flat, either yellow or pink (memory is shot on that one) and stacked about 10 or 12 in the tube. Can't remember the name, and haven't seen them for ages either, but they had a very pleasant flavor and helped numb the throat.

For constipation, Fletcher's Castoria liquid was the best! It had a licorice flavor I loved. Second choice was chocolate Exlax until I OD'd on it one night while craving candy when I was six. After that I couldn't stand the taste or smell of it, even to this day 52 years later!

In more recent times, when our kids were little, we've had liquid Tylenol and Advil for fevers. Sometimes when my wife or I would get a bad headache and be out of the adult pills, the children's pain/fever reliever would be substituted. The liquid Advil tasted pretty good, but had an aftertaste*twang* to it. The liquid Tylenol was more cherry flavored, reminding me of medicines taken when I was little. The only problem with using children's Advil or Tylenol is that you have to drink more of it to equal an adult dosage, which makes it much more expensive to use. Tylenol has now come out with a cherry liquid which is made stronger for adults to take. I think that was a good idea because some people have problems swallowing pills and, too, adults like me can feel like a kid again having cherry flavored medicine to take without needing to drink half the bottle to get the adult dose.:wink:

~Pramrider

Quote Originally Posted by Pramrider View Post

For sore throats, there was a lozenge that used to come in a round, clear tube. The lozenges were round, flat, either yellow or pink (memory is shot on that one) and stacked about 10 or 12 in the tube. Can't remember the name, and haven't seen them for ages either, but they had a very pleasant flavor and helped numb the throat.

Cepacol!

I dont have a a favorite... per say...
    I do/did enjoy the after taste of menthol.

Oh! and Johnson's Vapor Bath... ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Cepacol!

I dont have a a favorite... per say...
    I do/did enjoy the after taste of menthol.
    Yes, I was always looked at as being strange because I liked the taste of Hall's Mento-Liptus. They don't get much more menthol-ly than that.

Nope, wasn't Cepacol. Good try though. These were thinner than Cepacol and not translucent or individually wrapped. They were flat, round discs kind of like Necco Wafers only smaller in diameter. Less than an 1/8" thick from what I can remember. I'll have to ask my older sisters next time I see them. The lozenges worked pretty well for sore throats and weren't strong tasting at all.

~Pramrider

Cherry Vick's throat spray. So awesome how it numbs everything on contact lol.

We're supposed to have a favorite? I threw up once when I had a liquid medicine and I just choke down pills now.

I guess that leaves ginger ale!

I always like'd the cough syrup pills alot.

Secret

Sleep , Ginger ale and red flavored cough syrup.

I get addicted to Hail's cough drops when I have a sore throatl I will usually go through a pack when I have a sore throat and then another once i'm cured because I love the taste and I loe to suck on them.

weswissa

When I was a kid, they had me take a bubble gum medicine for my Asthma. It tasted delicious.

The only medicines I remember taking as a child were "Children's Chewable Aspirin" (by Bayer), and Jack & Jill Cough Syrup (by Vicks)...I wasn't sick much (as is attested to by the fact that the only time I missed school was when I had measles in 1st grade and the flu in 3rd grade)

As I recall the chewable aspirin had an orange-like taste (they were definitely orange in colour) and the cough syrup was cherry flavoured.

My kids liked the banana-flavoured antibiotic they used to get for ear infections 'n the like....some liquid derivative of penicillin (they were both allergic to the bubblegum flavoured sulfa medications).

Now, I pop extra-strength Advil (ibuprofen) like it's candy and when I have a sore throat...honey-lemon Halls. I'm really not sick that much...except the occasional headache and/or migraine.