Thread: one more new guy

Default one more new guy

Hey, I'm Beo. This is a great site. I'm happy to be here and hope I'm around for a while. My wife and I might be moving soon. Things are very up in the air for us right now.

I don't know what else to say. I teach English. I'm 28, but I look very young. My wife jokes that I look 16 (I don't think so. 21 at the oldest!) When I first walk into class, none of my students think that I'm the teacher. Most of them look older than me, in fact. I've always wanted to sit in class on the first day and act like I'm waiting for the prof with the rest of them, but I've never pulled it off.

What else? I'm addicted to Detective stories. I'm a horrible bowler, but enjoy it. My wife and I like to drink wine, Cotes-du-rhone and syrah/shiraz especially, but we can't really afford our habit, so we tend to save up for a really nice bottle once or twice a month. I have a special passion for beer, as well. Anything made by Belgian monks is good with me. When I'm not being adult, it's strictly apple juice and orange juice (I like it without the pulp when I'm playing, and with the pulp when I'm not. The pulp clogs up sippy cups.)

Well, I hope that lets you know a little bit about me. I hope this is what you're looking for in an introduction.

Beo, like Beowulf? And you say you teach English, so I guess you work at a high school. So what's your master's in?

Hello there. Nice intro.

It's good to see a man who appreciates a good beer. I had some lovely stuff brewed by Trappist monks just the other day and have recently, much to my delight, discovered that a fantastic traditional lambic beer that I first drank in a brewery in Brussels is stocked in a pub near me. It's about the best beer I've ever tasted - really sour, biting and dry but absolutely delicious. I'm typically more of a real ale man but, trust me, if you ever see anything from the Cantillon brewery, buy it. Bloody expensive, mind.

And detective stories, eh? I've read and enjoyed most of the Sherlock Holmes stories but not much else in the genre.

Anyhoo, the point, if I remember, was to say welcome. Hope you like it here, Beo.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoToad View Post
    Beo, like Beowulf? And you say you teach English, so I guess you work at a high school. So what's your master's in?
    You stole my line! "Beo, as in Beowulf?" :P

And I think he teaches at a university since he said he'd like to sit with the class and wait for the 'prof'. Most high schools don't have profs :p

And umm...yeah!

Welcome, Beo. Nice to see another 'older' member joining the ranks

Hey, welcome to the site. My first thought is, sweet, an English prof! I love English, specifically the essays and novels, however as of right now, I'm taking sciences at university. Anyways, once again, welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy it here.