View Poll Results: *READ THE POST FIRST, THEN ANSWER*

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I find her offensive and support her edit.

3 8.57%
  • No, and I think the edit was stupid and pointless.

17 48.57%
  • No, but I feel the reasons for the edit were justified.

9 25.71%
  • Don't care/undecided

6 17.14%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find this character offensive?

Default Does anyone find this character offensive?

There was short mentioning of the whole mess in this thread:http://www.adisc.org/forum/off-topic...le-pony-6.html , but I want to openly ask everyone their opinions.

If you are a Brony, or fan of the TV Series "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", you are probably aware of the background character "Derpy Hooves", and the controversy involving her portrayal in the episode "The Last Roundup".

If not, I'll explain:

During a party scene in the first episode (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Season 1 - Episode 1 - Mare in the Moon - YouTube at 17:19), fans noticed a blueish-gray background pegasus with a wonk-eyed, or "derpy" expression that was caused by mistake or as a joke by an animator (I'm with the latter personally)

Fans gave the nickname "Derpy" to this pony, and she would eventually go on to become the mascot of the Brony fandom.

The show's crew acknowledged the fanbase's recognition of this character, and continued to give the character Derpy the wall-eyed appearance intentionally and made her a "Where's Waldo" challenge, having her humorously appear in the the most obscure places (a well, a chicken coop, and even a snowglobe), and occassionlly causing humorous

Eventually, the crew decided to pay homage to the fans and give her a speaking role in an episode: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - DERPY TALKS - YouTube

Nice fan shoutout, eh? Didn't last for long, though. While most of the reactions were positive about it, there were very few negative emails sent to the episode's writer, Amy Keating Rogers, and Hub Network saying that Derpy's portrayal was offensive to those with mental disablities, and labled Rogers as an "ableist".

Rogers stated she was mortified by people calling her that, as she states that she has a son who is mentally disabled, and is a vocal advocate for the disabled as well.

She herself stated that she was not offended by the scene, but made an agreement with Hub to have the scene edited as it could cause a backlash on Hasbro in the future and hurt their kid-friendly reputation, stated here: Equestria Daily: Amy Keating Rogers Response to Derpy Hooves

So the scene was edited from this: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - DERPY TALKS - YouTube

to this:

The Last Roundup - "Derpy's" New Voice - YouTube

Her name was taken from mentioning, trademark eyes were changed, and voice was re-recorded to sound less retarded (you can kinda hear in Rainbow Dash's voice that her actress also thought the whole thing was bullshit).

So, knowing how a lot of members here have mentioned having disabilities in the past, how does everyone feel about the pony known as "Derpy"? Even if you are not a fan of the show, or even hate the show with a burning passion, can you still answer this question:

Does her name or character design offend you? Or do you think the edit was stupid and pointless?

Here are some pics and videos of Derpy to get an idea:

Derpy Hooves- S2 E10 - YouTube

Derpy Hooves - *Drains Apple Bobbing Station* - YouTube

I actually found the original voice kind of annoying, but I think the editting was stupid. I voted that I don't think it should have been edited, and I am kind of annoyed that the eyes were changed to look "normal". If anything, they're saying that in a "perfect" world like Ponyville, no one should be disabled. Derpy could have been a positive portrayal of a mentally handicapped person. You could have a whole episode on treating them equally, but apparently that would be offensive... >_>

I found the voice to sound rather retarded. It sounded like a female trying to do a man's voice, the new voice sounds more in line with all the other female ponies. Anyways I have no problem with the name derpy, but I don't care if it stays or goes. I do like her being in the background though, it's like where's waldo.

I honestly still don't get why this is being talked about either. It's over, hasbro isn't changing the scene back and you got the original in many places. Hasbro has a right to protect their behind and they did. We got lucky they ever gave her a speaking role. Making a big deal out of something this little remember, we still got the original. guess some Bronies can't be happy with that huh?

I think it is a bit silly in the sense that I think the word Derpy isn't a synonym for retarded. Not to say noone might use it as such, but I never thought that was the meaning. I think the fan response is even sillier because a bunch of grown ass people are freaking out about a kids show wanting to be supportive of people with disabilities, and some of the fan response has been to write offensive emails about it and make a bunch of insanely offensive comments about the disable all while telling minorities to suck it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    If anything, they're saying that in a "perfect" world like Ponyville, no one should be disabled. Derpy could have been a positive portrayal of a mentally handicapped person. You could have a whole episode on treating them equally, but apparently that would be offensive... >_>
    I don't think that is the case. They just got thrown into panic mode when there was a realization that there for some people Derp is a synonym for retarded, and they went all out to change the character. It isn't the ideal solution, but it is the fast one.

My first thoughts were that the whole thing was a huge over reaction in a run-amok, politically-correct world. Upon reflection, however, I think the change was a good thing. The life of a handicapped person is hard enough, both for the handicapped individual and their family. Even minor issues, like Derpy, can cause unnecessary difficulties and pain for those who have to deal with this handicap on a daily basis. I agree with Zephy, that they could have developed a story-line, and an episode dealing with the issue in a positive way, but I also agree with frillyfoxy. They chose the most expediant solution.

Fayte

Ed, Ed, & Eddy. 'Nuff said. MLP isn't the only show to have a character like that.

50th post :]

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I honestly still don't get why this is being talked about either. It's over, hasbro isn't changing the scene back and you got the original in many places. Hasbro has a right to protect their behind and they did. We got lucky they ever gave her a speaking role. Making a big deal out of something this little remember, we still got the original. guess some Bronies can't be happy with that huh?
    Nah, I just wanted to see how Adisc member would think of the idea, since many here have admitted to having disabilities, and everyone in the brony community is shouting "DERPY ISN'T OFFENSIVE" mindlessly without actually showing consideration for those disabled and who could find it offensive. I figured I would get some different responses from Adisc. I'm not beating a horse that isn't even dead (because really, she ISN'T; the crew confirmed she'll still appear as a background pony in all of her walleyed glory, and HAS).

My opinion on this whole mess?

I hate the edit as much as anyone else does, but what people don't understand is the show's main target demographic. People are using the defense that other kid's cartoons aired characters that could be considered as retarded, such as Ed from "Ed, Edd, and Eddie", Patrick from Spongebob, Billy from Billy&Mandy, and Cheese from Foster's (which had the MLP creator behind it, btw). But these shows are all targeted to those ages 7-13.

MLP's main target demographic is 3-9 year old girls. That means toddlers and kindergarteners are watching the show. They are much more limited to what they are allowed to include. Lauren Faust (the shows creator) said that the use of the word "Egghead" in one episode was treading the line of what's acceptable and what's not. So when kindergarteners go on the playground and start teasing classmates (even worse: the mentally disabled ones) by calling them "Derpy", it becomes the next "stupid" or "retarded". And who catches shit? Hasbro, the company who introduced the word to the kids on the playground.

Obviously any lawsuits from parents against Hasbro would be dropped, but Hasbro still takes a hit to their reputation, and loses money because parents of little girls stop buying My Little Pony merchandise.

I'm thankful that the crew was nice enough to make such a shout-out to us, but the main purpose of the show's existance is to make money for Hasbro, and if it becomes too inappropriate for their target demographic, then it has to be changed or else they lose money.
    Last edited by IantheFox; 11-Mar-2012 at 17:10.

I had this conversation with my sis not too long ago.

While I don't find it offensive,it just shows how there has to be a divide between fans of the shows that are older adults and the kids who watch it. This is where shows that aren't made for adults and are on a kid network have to be careful. Derpy was an inside joke among bronies and it was overall a fun experience. However, adults watching it with their kids (who aren't bronies) could see it as offensive because mental disability isn't funny and they don't want their kids to call other children Derpy.

I think the show forgot that their fan base isn't the only people watching the show. Unfortunately, even though it was awesome to have the show keep the name that people used and made her a silly 'where's waldo' character for a while, it's just not something Hasbro should've done. It's good enough that bronies are mentioned in a song (and no one cared) but I can see how parents could find it offensive.

As for myself? No, not offensive at all. There were a handful of shows (like Ed,Edd,and Eddy) that that a mostly mentally retarded character and no one complained. However,I wasn't surprised when they got in trouble for it. People these days can be so sensitive!

Quote Originally Posted by IantheFox View Post
    I'm thankful that the crew was nice enough to make such a shout-out to us, but the main purpose of the show's existance is to make money for Hasbro, and if it becomes too inappropriate for their target demographic, then it has to be changed or else they lose money.

She actually says "flying feather about" of course. But when I was watching it I was like "oh my god!!!"

fluttershy's voice actress is amazing.