Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama Admin Cites 'Int'l Permission,' Not Congress, As 'Legal Basis' For Action In Syria

Default Obama Admin Cites 'Int'l Permission,' Not Congress, As 'Legal Basis' For Action In Syria

WASHINGTON, March 7—Under question from Sen. Sessions at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing today, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey indicated that "international permission," rather than Congressional approval, provided a 'legal basis' for military action by the United States.

Obama Admin Cites 'Int'l Permission,' Not Congress, As 'Legal Basis' For Action In Syria - YouTube

I must say that as a US Army Veteran who swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, I find Panetta's words to be of great concern
    Last edited by MeDisneyBaby; 10-Mar-2012 at 01:34.

This is a clear act of treason against the United States. For all you people who support Obama and his administration, I hope you're happy with what you're getting!

We've been going to wars without congressional approval for every war sense WWII. Old News.

Ron Paul.

Ooooooh boy... You know, I'm not too interested in politics lately because I'm prioritizing my concerns, but after seeing that video, I am VERY concerned over the US military seeking to perform military actions without congressional approval. There is a clear chain of command in our government and regardless as to the numerous loopholes people use to get around said chain of command, we have to be able to uphold that idea with consistency and resolve. Like Sen. Sessions said, they have sought an international coalition of people to justify their actions, but an international group of people does not create a legal basis for war for the people of the United States of America. What it sounds like to me, is Sec. Panetta is quite literally looking for a way to become involved in this war and it will be involved on whatever basis he can find. He's looking for war first and finding the reasoning later and that is TERRIFYING to me. That's not justifying an action, that's covering your own ass for a screw up. The chain of command is set in place to prevent those screw ups. Cutting corners is only going to set us back in the long run and ruin the basis of our government more than it's already been screwed up.

For as much crap as I talk about the government and all its bureaucratic red tape bull shit, I think it's time for them to do their job and ensure that the military understands that this is not okay and they must seek congressional approval before starting a war. Soldiers don't govern the country. Soldiers serve the country and do as they're told, no excuses. That's what they sign up for when they join the military. The military can provide intelligence and recommendations, but they need to get the green light before they almost get us involved in a war we shouldn't be in in the first place.

I don't know all the reasoning behind what the military did, how they did it, nor to what extent they did, but from what I've gathered so far, this is not okay and the military needs to be put in check ASAP. We are not the Team America: World Police. We need to worry about our own country first and foremost, and if the government deems it necessary to step into war with a country to uphold the safety of American lives, then that's the government's decision, not the military.

Police don't make the laws, soldiers don't start wars. And when they do start doing that, their country will fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by MeDisneyBaby View Post
    WASHINGTON, March 7—Under question from Sen. Sessions at a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing today, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey indicated that "international permission," rather than Congressional approval, provided a 'legal basis' for military action by the United States.

Obama Admin Cites 'Int'l Permission,' Not Congress, As 'Legal Basis' For Action In Syria - YouTube

I must say that as a former US Army Veteran who swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, I find Panetta's words to be of great concern
    The United States founded the international legal order - twice - after world war 1 and world war 2.
    If you want to take military action against a state that is not attacking or a direct threat to you, then you need to have a basis international law, based on a consensus of other states. You think if Canada tried to invade again the US Military is going to stop of in New York for an authorising resolution before they bomb Toronto? No.

The United States Congress and the President has jurisdiction in the United States, the UN and NATO provide legal authority in an international sphere. Very simple. No Mystery.

It seems like if you watch the video to the end Panetta deals with this point

The way the war powers act is written and I may be a bit rusty on my interpretation. Is that the President has the authority to act with out Congressional approval if he/she has reason to believe that the country is in imminent danger IE; A city has been bombed/invaded or is about to be bombed/invaded.
    However to begin Military operations overseas when there is no imminent threat to the country requires congressional approval.

As a matter of fact Rep.Walter Jones of North Carolina , has introduced H. Concurrent Resolution 107, (Articles of Impeachment) which calls on the House, the Senate Concurring, to prevent Obama from starting another war without authorization from Congress. The resolution was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary on March 7.
    Last edited by MeDisneyBaby; 10-Mar-2012 at 01:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlf View Post
    This is a clear act of treason against the United States. For all you people who support Obama and his administration, I hope you're happy with what you're getting!
    ...you do know what treason is, right? Its the act of waging war against your own country. I fail to see how an unconstitutional executive order would qualify as a capital crime.

Sent from my iPhone

the US is already under attack by its own government but many still fail to see that.

From outside the US congress seems to be doing nothing but stopping Obama from actually doing good things. Out of interest how does one get into congress? It seems like the general population has barely any say over what they do...

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlf View Post
    I don't think you have even have the slightest political clue of anything being discussed here. That isn't treason. Do you understand the definition of the word?

The US isn't "under attack by its own government." Save for the conspiracy, please.