Thread: Fur Material

Default Fur Material

I used some fur fabric to make a tail that i got from a local store, turns out that it has a tenancy to pull apart in the structural stitching across the entire fabric . Mostly when there is an area that had to be cut though.

Is this a general problem with furry types of materials or did i just buy cheap garbage?

Bit of both?

All furry fabric will shed fibers where it's been cut. However, sewing a seam 3/8-1/4" from the cut edge should be fine. The last furry fabric I used ran about $20/yd and it held together very well... I think that's around mid or higher priced.

I'd have to agre with Tygon, it sounds like a bit of both. Shedding along the cut edge is normal, $20 isnt a bad price, though personally i wouldnt go for anything below $15. You also need to be wary as to the type of fur, try to go for the luxury / shag variants as cheaper fun fur tends not to last long at all and gives a very low quality finish.

From what you've said it sounds like the backing itself is splitting across, in which case I hate to say it but it doesnt sound very good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
    From what you've said it sounds like the backing itself is splitting across, in which case I hate to say it but it doesnt sound very good quality.
    Yeah, its the backing, and i'd agree, it seems like i bought junky stuff, at least it wasn't too much.

It might be possible to seal the edges with a good glue before stitching the fabric.
    Or even using heat to melt the edge first. (Soldering iron ) ?