Thread: Does anybody make their own AB clothes?

Default Does anybody make their own AB clothes?

Hi, I just ask because I'm thinking about trying to make some of my own, and I'm not sure where to start. I figured there's gotta be somebody on here who has some experience!

I don't have the money to spend on the websites I want to buy from (CosynDry for example), plus for the most part, I just haven't found fabrics I like on AB clothes websites. Not to mention I don't want their company names on my bank records. Anyway...

I'd like to make some jumpers and dresses with matching training pants/diaper covers (and maybe even some hairbows ), like these I've found around the internet:
    Attachment 7905
    Attachment 7904
    Attachment 7906
    I also need these to be fairly inconspicuous, so that I can wear some of them as an adult and not be 'outing' myself as an AB/LG. For example, maybe I could put a knee-length skirt over the jumpers/onesies and wear the dresses, just without the training pants, or if they're too short, as a tunic.
    I've found a few tutorials for making diaper covers (which can easily be made into training pants) but the tutorials are for making them from existing ones...so yeah. Obviously I have no existing ones to make them from.

So does anybody know of some patterns that can be altered to be more babyish? Or just tutorials for making AB clothes?

The only thing i can tell you is look at some costume patterns to see what may be close to what you want. you can also use panties to use as a pattern but use briefs. that's what I would do. if you have any questions please feel free to ask. i sew well so i know alot about making and altering patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLilSailorGirl View Post
    Or just tutorials for making AB clothes?
    There are some very good patterns for sale here: Aidan & Emmy's Custom Clothing and Patterns by aidankid on Etsy

I've made a few clothes so far with the patterns (except for the blanket, no pattern needed for that): https://www.adisc.org/forum/members/...-projects.html

However, the clothes in these patterns are really geared more towards boys. They also work fine as unisex (especially the onesies, rompers, and pajamas), but nothing is of a particularly girly cut, like jumpers or dresses. You could just hit your local sewing shop (JoAnn Fabrics, maybe?) and have a look at their pattern catalogs. You might need to do some modifying, but it would be a starting point.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did think about using some briefs for a pattern, and thanks for the links, Tygon! I might just have to order that onesie pattern. I'll have to search Etsy to see if there's any more AB type stuff on there... but mostly I think this will be an experiment in pattern-making. If I come up with something good, I'll post pics of the results.

I've made a diaper cover from this one: TUTORIAL: the perfect DIAPER COVER | MADE obviously had to scale it by hand, made it really big but the elastic makes it fit me while giving a puffy look.

I tried this one too: Little underwear for girl again, scaled it so it looks like enormous little girl panties =P

Had to try and error a few times tho, I just used old shirts to make the first models so I won't waste the expensive fabrics.

There's a lot of baby clothing tutorials with patterns for free around the web, now, customizing them for your size is the hard part, I've been willing to try these:

Home Sweet Homebodies: Easy- On Potty Training Pants: Tutorial and Pattern
    End of Summer Terry Tunic & Bloomers
    Wrap around body – tutorial

Maybe they can give you some ideas =)

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLilSailorGirl View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did think about using some briefs for a pattern, and thanks for the links, Tygon! I might just have to order that onesie pattern. I'll have to search Etsy to see if there's any more AB type stuff on there... but mostly I think this will be an experiment in pattern-making. If I come up with something good, I'll post pics of the results.
    I've had shortie pajamas sewn together to make a one piece romper suit - you can then add snaps in the crotch. So while they look pretty ordinary they also feel very babyish too. You can add some good elastic at the back too.

I've made some overalls for a boy using two matching pairs of jeans. I had no pattern so I just sewed it by how I thought they should look. I found these great snaps that come on this fabric strip so all you have to do is sew the fabric in!!