Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The books of our childhood...

Default The books of our childhood...

I heard today that Jan Berenstain passed on. She and her husband, Stan, were the creators of the much-loved Berenstain Bears children's series of books.

I grew up listening to the tales of Momma, Poppa and their two cubs. In fact, I would be remiss if I didn't admit that the home the family lives in was an inspiration for the one I describe in the trilogy. They will always hold a very special place in my heart.

So, what about you? What children's books do you identify with childhood?

WHAT?

Jan Berenstein? No way! I loved the Berenstein Bears growing up. Some of my very favourite books. That's really sad to hear.

Those books were up there as books I identify with childhood. Also, I loved Dr. Seuss' books. He had the most incredible imagination, and his illustrations always captivated me. I remember looking at single pages for ages, taking in all the details. It was just like going to another world. (As a side note, I hated the Cat in the Hat movie, and I'm incredibly unhappy that they're making The Lorax into a movie).

The other author I loved was Roald Dahl. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Twits, James and the Giant Peach...so many classics! Although looking back, he was a seriously twisted author, when you think about what happens to a lot of his characters. Still, incredible storyteller.

When I was little, I never did take a big interest in books, I just looked at the pictures most of the time. Looking back, many of those pictures had a sort of art style that was simple, yet also did much of the speaking. I can't remember the names of the books as I haven't learned to read at the time.

Yuki9689

Believe it or not, I always made my mom read me the Harry Potter books that were out before I could read. Other than that, I do remember a series of children's books with people that had tails, but I don't remember much about it

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Also, I loved Dr. Seuss' books. He had the most incredible imagination, and his illustrations always captivated me. I remember looking at single pages for ages, taking in all the details. It was just like going to another world. (As a side note, I hated the Cat in the Hat movie, and I'm incredibly unhappy that they're making The Lorax into a movie).

The other author I loved was Roald Dahl. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, The Twits, James and the Giant Peach...so many classics! Although looking back, he was a seriously twisted author, when you think about what happens to a lot of his characters. Still, incredible storyteller.
    You and I are on the same page. I didn't care much for the 'Cat in the Hat' or 'The Lorax'. However, I loved the ABC book he put out. I think it was simply called 'A,B,Cs' or something along that line. I still remember bits and pieces from it even today.

As for Roald Dahl, I love his stories, too. The power struggles in 'Matilda' resonated with me even at a young age. I kept reading works even as I got older; 'Boy' and the sequel, 'Going Solo' are fantastic reads.

I am very sad to hear that Jan Berenstain passed. I loved those books as a kid, and I think there are still about 40 of them in my parents' basement somewhere. My mom actually asked me if I wanted them a few years ago, and I told her to absolutely keep them for me.

I don't really remember too many other books from my childhood, but I loved the Berenstain Bears books.

The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss (collection of 4 or 5 stories, not the story of the Sneetches themselves) is the only book I actually remember my mom reading to me. The one I always liked in it was The Pale Green Pants With Nobody Inside Them. My mom liked Too Many Daves, a very short story about a woman who had 23 sons and named them all Dave. The titular story was also a pretty good story, all about accepting each other, as well as to be careful about greedy capitalists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss (collection of 4 or 5 stories, not the story of the Sneetches themselves) is the only book I actually remember my mom reading to me. The one I always liked in it was The Pale Green Pants With Nobody Inside Them. My mom liked Too Many Daves, a very short story about a woman who had 23 sons and named them all Dave. The titular story was also a pretty good story, all about accepting each other, as well as to be careful about greedy capitalists.
    Loved that one! My would read it in a spooky voice and it scared the heck out of me in a good way. I had a lot of Dr. Seuss books as a kid (some Berenstain Bears as well, so I'm sorry to hear of her passing) but that one was one of my favorites.

Wow; first thing I remember my dad reading to me was Voyage of the Dawn Treader, although at one point or another he did read me the rest of the series and The Hobbit. I'm sure there were others, but by the time I was 7 I was pretty much devouring the library on my own.

OMG!! I LOVE Dr. Seuss The Pale Green Pants!! =D That was an awesome story!!! I liked a lot of the Berenstain Bears as well but one of my favorites was Lazy Tommy Pumpkinhead. LOL I still like that book. And; the Monster at the End of This Book When I was a bit older I loved Mr. Pudgins which unfortunately I can't find ANYWHERE any more and The Chronicles of Narnia