Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 43

Thread: I renounced my Christian beliefs a few days ago...

  1. #1

    Lightbulb I renounced my Christian beliefs a few days ago...

    And one hell of a roller coaster ride ensued afterwards!

    I was in a Christian metal-core band (sounds like one giant contradiction, right?) and got kicked out for being "Un-christian-like" so I told them all that it was bound to happen eventually because I was, in fact, not in the least bit Christian at all.

    I still believe in God, and I have lots of Christian friends (not to mention I was born and raised Christian), but I do not have a big enough ego to be able to say "This religion is right, all others are wrong," which is EXACTLY what they were trying to say, and it was precisely the reason I am no longer a Christian.

    So, after I got kicked out, we ended up having a 4 day religious discussion (which became a religious debate after a certain individual entered into the conversation) on Facebook. My brother and I were merely trying to point out that while we believe there is only one God (and we do believe there is a God) it doesn't necessarily mean he chose Christianity as HIS religion and it wasn't fair to other people who were born and raised believing another faith to be told that they are being misled by the devil. They, of course, explained their beliefs and told me that, as with all things religious, it comes down to faith, and their faith told them that what they were born and raised to believe was not only the right path, but the only path towards Heaven.

    Now I'm sorry, but doesn't that sound a bit biased?

    I was raised to believe that Christians are supposed to follow in the example of Jesus Christ and to love all and accept all unconditionally of what they feel, believe, look like, etc. But they made it sound so... disgusting... They totally spat on Jesus by saying that they weren't judging people who weren't Christian but were merely trying to 'correct' them. What a dangerous word to use, bordering on brainwashing! The whole argument erupted over homosexuality, and my retort was "Well, didn't Hitler already try and 'correct' homosexuality?" They didn't like that.....

    So, I decided I was done with it all. They weren't willing to change their views in the slightest and in the end, it prevented me from wanting to be Christian whatsoever. Now my facebook and myspace are both deleted and I decided I needed some sort of online social outlet, so here I am again!

    It just made me think how much I missed the acceptance, tolerance, and love I got from the ADISC community. It seems like when people actually know each other they get all these judgmental thoughts around them and want to fight all the time, whereas I come here and it's nothing but unconditional support (well, most of the time anyway lol). There's something about being able to be in a community where no one ACTUALLY knows each other that makes us all able to be much more accepting of each other's views and beliefs and it gave me a whole new respect for this website.

    So, as I've said before, THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! The ADISC community has been a huge help to me throughout the short amount of time I've known you all and it is simply irreplaceable. It's nice to feel accepted =)

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    The whole argument erupted over homosexuality, and my retort was "Well, didn't Hitler already try and 'correct' homosexuality?" They didn't like that.....
    Well they should have liked it because they won the argument over that!

    But you should be careful about throwing out your religion over an argument, especially over one with people who were accusatory. I mean, I don't think that you are wrong to be mad about getting thrown out of a band for something like being "un-Christian", but if you aren't going to abandon something you've been told since childhood for a good, logical reason, you'll have trouble justifying your new-found worldview to even yourself. Read around on the internet (lots of good stuff on this site; I particularly like posts by Brian37 like the one in this thread, which you should read) and take it slow. It's a long process from here.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Point View Post
    I don't think that you are wrong to be mad about getting thrown out of a band for something like being "un-Christian", but if you aren't going to abandon something you've been told since childhood for a good, logical reason, you'll have trouble justifying your new-found worldview to even yourself.
    I don't think I clarified that properly. I wasn't mad that I got kicked out. quite the contrary. It was inevitably going to happen. I felt relived to be able to actually be myself for once. I've always felt troubled with Christian views, and this was my opportunity to explain to them that I'd been living a lie.[COLOR="Silver"]

    ---------- Post added at 13:52 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

    and I Lol'd at Godwin's rule

  4. #4

    Default

    It seemed to me like you were mostly put off by the hypocrisy of your peers. And you say things like "in the end, it prevented me from wanting to be Christian whatsoever", which makes me think that you're more leaving in a huff than making a solid decision. If that's not true then never mind me, and I hope you find something that works for you.

  5. #5

    Default

    I had numerous logical reasons for throwing out my Christian beliefs, mainly because of the whole intolerance thing. This was more of a catalyst than a cause. sorry for the confusion, if I sounded like a pouting brat throwing a tantrum!

    ---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

    I enjoyed that post from Brian which Point linked, and he is entirely right, so perhaps I should clarify some things about why I decided to do this.

    There are lots of subcategories within every belief and I believe labelling yourself as anything is setting yourself up to be thrown in a blanket statement of sorts. There are plenty of accepting, moral Christians out there, just as there are many people of other faiths who are accepting and moral as well. However, I've always had difficulty with specifically labelling myself as Christian because of a few reasons that I won't get into to prevent religious debate on this topic. However, the fact that these specific Christians kicked me out of the band for having 'non-Christian' beliefs was precisely the reason I'd had difficulty calling myself a Christian.

    I believe it is wrong to say one religion is right and others are wrong, or that any religion is inherently better than another and so this was merely my jumping point to finally be able to express myself and say "Hey, you know all that stuff I've been saying over the past 18 years? That was a lie so I'd feel accepted..."

    ---------- Post added at 14:12 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

    All in all, I like to pick and choose from certain religions that I feel are right because, in a sense, I feel like most religions are based on the same tenants. That is also why I can't call myself a Christian any longer. That would essentially brand me as a Christian representative and my views are so abstract that most 'Christians' would not be able to agree with me whatsoever because I wasn't fully embracing the idea of their faith. So, to prevent me affecting the blanket statements thrown towards Christians, I have renounced my Christian beliefs and am now only following my own beliefs. I should've done that in the first place!

  6. #6

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BigKid25 View Post
    say "Hey, you know all that stuff I've been saying over the past 18 years? That was a lie so I'd feel accepted..."[COLOR="Silver"]
    Is that much different then "I've only been using you."? The way you phrase that it just seems like it's meant to hurt their feelings, nothing more.

    Anyways id they want to believe Christianity is 100% right let them be that way. Just report them once they start talking about cursaiding or pulling Jihad's though. ::

    Point is, why bother arguing with them in the first place?

  7. #7

    Default

    Look into the Unitarian Universalism church. It sounds like they'd mesh up with a lot of what you believe.

    If this is a decision that you've reached through a lot of introspective analysis and long thought, then that's your call, but, that's a big thing to just throw to the wind (as opposed to just changing a belief), your entire religion, because of an argument.

    I get what you mean about not wanting to be branded as "Christian." My church would probably not consider me one even though I do. My views are much more abstract...and much less bigoted. I don't often admit to being Christian in public because I don't want to be branded with that stereotypical degree of ignorance.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Look into the Unitarian Universalism church. It sounds like they'd mesh up with a lot of what you believe.

    If this is a decision that you've reached through a lot of introspective analysis and long thought, then that's your call, but, that's a big thing to just throw to the wind (as opposed to just changing a belief), your entire religion, because of an argument.

    I get what you mean about not wanting to be branded as "Christian." My church would probably not consider me one even though I do. My views are much more abstract...and much less bigoted. I don't often admit to being Christian in public because I don't want to be branded with that stereotypical degree of ignorance.
    the lead pastor at my church of choice has this cool quote. "Standing in a church doesn't make you a christian. Just as standing in a garage doesn't make you a car." Also I can't say I agree with your decision to not disclose your a christian in public just because you fear being lumped in with the idiotic ones. Just like with AB/DL's christian's should only be judged on a individual basis.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    the lead pastor at my church of choice has this cool quote. "Standing in a church doesn't make you a christian. Just as standing in a garage doesn't make you a car." Also I can't say I agree with your decision to not disclose your a christian in public just because you fear being lumped in with the idiotic ones. Just like with AB/DL's christian's should only be judged on a individual basis.
    Telling people I'm Christian brings to mind homophobic, bigoted, racist, sheep-like behavior for many.

    Given that I don't want to push people away from me, I'd rather they find out what kind of person I am, on an individual basis, before my religion comes into play.

    "Should do" and "what people actually do" have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Telling people I'm Christian brings to mind homophobic, bigoted, racist, sheep-like behavior for many.

    Given that I don't want to push people away from me, I'd rather they find out what kind of person I am, on an individual basis, before my religion comes into play.

    "Should" and "what actually happens" have absolutely nothing to do with eachother.
    I don't see what the problem would be if you expressed you don't share the conversational views as other christians are often viewed to have. Once here on adisc I was in support of Prop 8 and actually did vote for it. I think some members possibly down right hated me for it but I wasn't just going to roll over on my beliefs just because someone else didn't like them. I did defend my views at the time to the best of my ability.

    The point is once again if people can't handle your a christian and want to sterotype you, then whats the point of being friends with a person that ignorant? I'll drop this subject now since it's slightly off topic I guess.




    Since then (late 2008) I've been in support of gay marriage or actually civil unions for all. Since marriage is now partially used for a few loop holes and tax breaks.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 16-Aug-2010, 04:54
  2. Ecstasy and irrational beliefs about drugs
    By Charlie in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2009, 16:28
  3. Your political beliefs
    By mizzycub in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-Aug-2008, 15:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.