I just picked up both the Baldur's Gate games on a GOG sale. I've decided that it would be best to play them in order, so last night I got my first taste of Baldur's Gate. I really want to like this game, but I'm having a hard time getting past the interface.

I created a half-elf druid for my first character and got what I think are good starting spells and stats. This is where I ran into my first interface problem. I know how to cast spells, but the problem is the game doesn't remind me of what each spell is supposed to do. Am I just going to have to memorize the spells by their symbol on my spell list or is there a way around this? Also, I've played a number of RPG's, but haven't really played one based on DnD rules. I've learned a bit to where I know at least what dice rolls, alignment, stats, and AC mean, but I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the rules around spellcasting.

So, if anybody is familiar with this game or AD&D rules, I could use some advice for getting started. Also, I'm not usually one for using mods on my first time through a game, but I might be willing to try some basic mods that improve on things like interface or graphics.