Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz vs. 2.4 ghz vs. 2.5ghz

Default MacBook Pro 2.2ghz vs. 2.4 ghz vs. 2.5ghz

I'm currently on the market for a new Macbook Pro. The major things I'm planning to do with it is 3d Graphic Rendering (via Autodesk 3ds Max), CGI video editing (via Adobe CS6 Production Premium or whatever it will be called when it comes out), and iOS App developing. I don't want to get a new computer for at least another 5-10 years after I get this. I think I know the perfect system for me, but I want as much feedback and opinions as possible before dropping the serious bucks on it. I want to know, will the upgrades just be adding more "glitter" or will it actually be making it more "gold"? Anyway...

I know for a fact I'll be getting 8gb DDR3 RAM, 128gb SSD drive(I'll use an external 1TB 7200rpm for mass storage), and the hi-res glossy screen.

The system I'm planning on getting is going to have the 2.2ghz i7 processor and is costing me $2,150.00.

Would it be worth getting the 2.5ghz for $2,589? Is it worth the extra $400?

With the differences between clock speeds, bus speeds and all the technical aspects, it isn't as simple as $400= .3ghz faster (not only is this statement wrong, it nowhere near encompasses what those extra .3ghz mean). I'd appreciate the feedback, especially from those who have a good understanding of how the hardware affects performance and processes.

I don't think a extra .3 GHz is worth anywhere close to a extra 400 dollars at all. On a normal PC the cost of one over the other would be around 150 tops. Also do you really need a i7, or can you settle for a i5? Lot's of gamers are going with the i5 since the i7 just doesn't have that much better of a preform in comparison to the extra cost.

also, blah blah blah, why are you getting a mac? Blah blah blah, they suck, blah blah blah PC's, other laptops are cheaper just as good blah blah blah.

have you thought of getting a 'hackintosh' by buying that spec of laptop and then making it run OSX to give you all the nice mac goodies and not the price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by TemujinRain View Post
    have you thought of getting a 'hackintosh' by buying that spec of laptop and then making it run OSX to give you all the nice mac goodies and not the price tag.
    But it won't have the apple logo and that's what let's people now your SUUUUPPPPPPEEEERRRRRRR cool man!

How long are you planning on keeping the macbook. if i was spending the money on a new laptop i would get the best that was avaliable. it might be 400 more now but in 2-3 years when software is even more power hungry it might just be that bit more bearable. but since its a mac its unbearable go alienware ftw

I wouldn't bother paying all that extra for a small difference in speed. Besides less speed means less annoying fan noise.

I'd recommend you look here for buying advice http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

If you can hold off until June it looks like the new Ivy Bridge MacBook pros will be out by then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    But it won't have the apple logo and that's what let's people now your SUUUUPPPPPPEEEERRRRRRR cool man!

typical. there is more to owning a mac, than just "having an apple logo". and there is more to it than what hardware is on the inside. thats the same old argument every mac hater gives. 'you can get the same hardware for less in a PC.' try something new for once, and don't stereotype anyone who wants a mac, just because of your own ignorances and biases.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    I ended up paying less by buying an MSI FX720 and dual booting with OSX lion and win7 with better specs than a Mac book pro for work (their faces when i said it was less than 850 was priceless)

I also use a MSI GT780DX with win7 and OSX lion dual boot for all my Theatre Technicals, music tech and gaming and they both came in at less than two Macbook Pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamuis View Post
    typical. there is more to owning a mac, than just "having an apple logo". and there is more to it than what hardware is on the inside. thats the same old argument every mac hater gives. 'you can get the same hardware for less in a PC.' try something new for once, and don't stereotype anyone who wants a mac, just because of your own ignorances and biases.
    funny you say "Typical", when what your saying is typical of anyone who likes/loves mac's. Mac hater's give the same argument since so far, no one's come up with a logical answer to Why go with a mac when you can usaully get normal PC for cheaper, even with you make it a hackintosh.

I can only assume it's brand loyalty.

There's also no damn way stuff like ipad's cost 550+ dollars to make and the extra money apple makes surely isn't going to the 2 dollar per hour foxxconn workers. Well, maybe asides for the CEO of it. That said unless you want to make a new topic and actually try and prove mac's are worth the cost, then please do so. But I'm not going to debate with a person who just came in here to start a flame war for no other reason then someone doesn't like Macs.

To the OP: What you have i think is a pretty good start. I think the slightly extra speed will be entirely up to you. However, as you said it isn't just a matter of $400 for an extra 0.3Ghz. The better processor also has more cache (the 2.5Ghz has 8MB cache and the 2.2/2.4Ghz both have 6MB. So that is considerable as well considering that the cache will help you run more powerful programs as there is more memory that the processor can use to do its job (not referring to RAM here but the cache is memory that is housed on the same chip as the processor so it will go there and be able to be accessed directly by the processor for processing). However, i do see that you decided on the SSD drive. To be honest, i don't know if i would consider that the speed is really worth it because of how limited you will be in what you can put on it. Plus, i think that you do lose a significant chunk of portability by doing this as you can't just take you laptop around with everything you want without its external HDD. Perhaps the option to chose instead (at least what i would do) is to go with the 750GB hard drive that has 7200 rpm. This way it will still be faster and you won't be hurting your storage ability nor hurting your pocket as much (considering the SSD option is more expensive then the faster hard drive. Then, i would purchase a thunderbolt external hard drive considering that the transfer speed will be enough to support whatever media intensive applications you need to support and you will be able to keep it all in one place.

Back to what has been said about the macs. I will make a few comments considering it has been said to make a logical argument about why macs are better then windows or a hackintosh. For starters, no matter what the hardware specifications you have, the mac OS will not run as nicely on a hackintosh machine as on one apple designs. Not to mention that you need to be careful that you have all the supported hardware for it (as there is hardware in laptops that don't have the drivers required). Not to mention that the trackpad on a mac is the best in any laptop. So many manufactures have tried to replicate this but have not even been able to come close. Mac is also far more stable then a windows PC (i.e. i have my iMac running for days without ever turning it off whereas if i did that with my laptop which is windows, there would be significant performance issues). This mainly due to the fact that apple only have to make drivers for the different configurations that it sells. Therefore, it has much more stability because the drivers are designed specifically to work with the OS.

I would also like to point out that so many manufacturers are trying to mimic apple's laptops with the island keyboard and the mac-shaped body. Yes, i am well aware that mac is not as good for gaming but that is slowly changing with games in the mac app store being released from several of the larger gaming companies. Now i am not specifically biased because i have both a mac desktop and a windows laptop. Yes, i love my mac but i also see the place that windows has (for the time being). I don't say that mac is better then windows because they are both needed in different circumstances. But these are some of the reasons why people end up buying macs over a PC. And this is very clear in the fact that the market share for macs alone has been ever increasing as people finally see the potential and enjoy the experience. Because you cannot deny that the experience on a mac is definitely one that is different and for many, it one that they enjoy enough to spend $3000 on.