Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classical Music

Default Classical Music

I've gotten into classical musical, but I don't know what to download.

What could are some good songs and composers?

I find that operatic overtures are great for getting into classical music. These are played by the orchestra before the opera starts and the fat ladies begin to sing. They contain themes from all of the music of the opera, but no singing! There are several famous one that have become even more well known than the operas they are from. Here's a few.

Rossini - Overture to William Tell
    Offenbach - Overture to Orpheus in the Underworld
    Mozart - Overture toThe Marriage of Figaro

And it's actually a rock opera, but The Overture to Tommy, by The Who, is also classic.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueGirl View Post
    I've gotten into classical musical, but I don't know what to download.

What could are some good songs and composers?
    It depends what you like - what attracts you to a pop (that's pop in the general sense) music song?

I'd recommend listening to Classical music radio, to start with, and then take names of composers you enjoy and explore their work.

I know I like classical music, I always have, but recently it's that I've been listening to it more but after listening to the songs in Pandora a while they sort of blend in with each other that's why I'm asking for songs or specific composers.

Thank you Jayne I liked them. I especially liked the Mozart one and the Offenbach one

If you're just getting into classical music I would suggest buying a compilation album. A good one to start with would be the "Most Relaxing Classical Music in the Universe Cd's" or go out and get a "the best of" Beethoven, Mozart, Pachbell, etc.

Of course my favorite composer of all time is Tchaikovsky and my favorite work of his is Piano Concerto no 1. This is an album I would definitely recommend getting. Tchaikovsky: Concerto No. 1/Rachmaninoff: Concerto No. 2: Sergey Rachmaninov, Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky, Fritz Reiner, Kiril Kondrashin, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, RCA Victor Orchestra, RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra, Van Cliburn: Mus

Also in general you will find that the term "classical" applies to a large variety of music. This includes music from the baroque, classical, romantic, and modern eras. You may find that you prefer one era more than another (my favorite is romantic era)

There are also many different types of "classical" music including: Symphonies, Piano Concertos, Piano Sonatas, Requiems, Opera, Operetta, String Quartets, Violin Concertos, and so many more. You may find that you enjoy one type of music more than another. I enjoy Piano music the most, probably because I play piano.

If you like Opera I would also suggest "Die Zauberflote - The magic flute" by Mozart, which is technically an operetta, but still my favorite opera of all time. Make sure you get a DVD with English subtitles though.

I got a bit into classical music as well lately. And as a general rule (for everything, not just music), you can use "Beautiful is, what is Czech". So have a look into the music of Dvorak and Smetana, they obviously knew what they were doing.

I am a classical musician, so here goes:

Beethoven: symphonies 6, 7, 8, and 9. I sang the 9th under Stowkowski at Carnegie Hall. The 6th is called The Pastoral and was used by Disney in their cartoon, Fantasia

Mozart: Requiem, horn and violin concertos. Definitely The Jupiter Symphony and the Piano Concerto with the theme Elvira Madigan,

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 2 and Symphony No. 2

Chopin: Almost anything, but definitely his piano concertos, The Waltzes and especially, The Nocturnes.

Mauler: Symphonies 2, 7, 9th. They're amazing.

Wagner: Das Rheingold, and others

There are already some amazing suggestions here. For a contemporary classical piece, I suggest Corliagno's Symphony no. 1. It's written in memory of those who have lost their lives to AIDS, and it's full of very moving sounds, including the musical interpretation of someone going crazy, suffering from dementia. Well worth a listen if you can find it.

As usual the lumping of so many eras into "classical" makes me cringe but I digress, I can't expect everyone to know the differences.

Bach is pretty much what people think of for baroque era music, and rightfully so he wrote some amazing things. I'd suggest looking at his Little Fugue in G minor and A minor fugue. Also his cello suite no. 1 is something you've definitely heard before, really a nice listen. If you enjoy these take a look at his other fugues and such, really remarkable stuff. Vivaldi also gets a nice mention from this era as well, in particular opus 3 and 8 would be good to look into.

The classical era it's simple to look up most anything by Mozart and Beethoven, but don't forget about Haydn. I can't really think of any good suggestions for them as it's either already really well known or outside what I know much about, search around a bit.

From the romantic era there's plenty more names: Chopin (I find his nocturnes are most recognized, and most pleasing), Schubert, Richard Wagner (Ride of the Valkyries), Franz Liszt (Hungarian Rhapsody, crazy piano piece you've probably heard), Brahms, Dvorak (New World Symphony).

And also a special mention to Stravinsky since I've been listening to his Rite of Spring a lot of late.

But also what's important is to find composers you like and search around, hope I helped lead you in the right direction somewhere.

The Rite of Spring is amazing

Shostakovich - String Quartet No. 8 in C minor (the Yggdrasil Quartet does an amazing job with this piece)
    Faure's Requiem
    Arvo Part - Fur Alina and Spiegel im Spiegel
    Carl Orff - Carmina Burana
    Samuel Barber - Adagio for Strings Op. 11

For something a little more light hearted

Prokofiev - Peter and the Wolf
    Sait-Saens - Carnival of the Animals