Thread: strange issue-can't breathe unless it sounds perfect

Default strange issue-can't breathe unless it sounds perfect

For the last 10 years or so (pretty much ever since my parents split up) i've had a stuttering/breathing problem whenever i'm alone or talking silently to myself.
    I basically can't stop saying a word or a part of a word unless it sounds perfect inside my head, and i also can't breathe in while i'm trying to get it right.

The same thing happens with my breathing in general when i'm alone and relaxing or just watching tv, in that unless each and every breathe i take sounds perfect to me and makes me feel as though i'm actually getting air into my lungs i have to repeat it, right down to the verge of exhaling until i'm at the point of passing out.

I also seem to have developed a strange habit of having to go 'hmmm' multiple times while i'm alone and thinking or more often than not even while i'm just trying to go about daily tasks.

Does anyone else have anything like this? Or can someone shed some light on what it could be due to?

Since we're not medical professionals, I'd suggest seeing a psychologist, but my uneducated opinion is OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by Damienp View Post
    I also seem to have developed a strange habit of having to go 'hmmm' multiple times while i'm alone and thinking or more often than not even while i'm just trying to go about daily tasks.
    I do that sometimes... and mutter to myself, but quite rarely -- only when I'm stressed.

I usually know that I'm doing it (although when I'm really stressed it's really hard to stop). Once or twice people have mentioned it and I've been so absorbed in what I'm doing that I didn't realise I made a sound! I thought it was unrelated, but my family also jokes that I have OCD... at least... I think they're joking...

If it concerns you, I'd definitely see a psychologist of some sort...

teddybear206

i do that sometime but not often, id seek help