Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifier at night

Question Pacifier at night

So I got my NUK 5 last night and I love it! Last night was also the first time I tried to sleep with a pacifier in my mouth and it was kind of strange.

My boyfriend had told me in the past that I chatter/clench my teeth in my sleep and I had never noticed it before. But last night the pacifier made me very aware of what I was doing as I was falling asleep. But not only was I gnawing and clamping down on the teat, I would start sucking on it involuntarily. It actually bothered me so much that I had to take it out.

I had read that using a pacifier at night was good for people who grind their teeth and I guess my problem is similar. But I would like to know if this has happened to anyone else. Do you think the pacifier may actually help me in the long run if I get used to it?

Well... I'm not sure if it helps you, but it probably won't do any harm either, so I don't really see the problem here. o.o Is it really that bothersome if you suck it involuntarily? I mean, I find that it's actually a pretty nice feeling, and that it makes regression easier. ^^

I think I was really bothered by the fact that for the first time, I noticed what my jaw was doing. That's what was keeping me from falling asleep. But I'm curious as to how the pacifier will help with this problem.
    Involuntarily sucking wasn't too bad

Supersam1223

I think it might help, you just need to get used to sleeping with something in your mouth.

coming from some one with tmj that uses one for therapy, what it does is force you into the sucking motion, while this motion is happening it is physical impossible to clench and grind.

Quote Originally Posted by asayuu View Post
    coming from some one with tmj that uses one for therapy, what it does is force you into the sucking motion, while this motion is happening it is physical impossible to clench and grind.
    If you don't mind me asking, what is tmj? I'm happy to get a response from someone that's actually using one for therapy!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersam1223 View Post
    I think it might help, you just need to get used to sleeping with something in your mouth.
    I think you're right. Last night I was able to keep in my mouth most of the night. Over time, i'll get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by asayuu View Post
    I have TMJ and I can barely use mine because it causes my jaw to hurt so bad.

Well that is because their are major areas tmj can affect and it does necessarily effect both the first and most common maximal facial muscles,think sinus a forward lower jaw. Then their is the jaw hinge area which can get locked up mine affects both and the teat is therapeutic to the first condition and can aggravate the second depending on which issue is dominate at the time. It may not be helpful for you, given your circumstance. My dominate usually being the sinus an lower forward jaw it usually helps me. The joint issue I am no stranger to and know the paci does not help and often even hinders that one esp. if you have gotten to the clicking and ears on fire stage.
    hopefully this clears some things up best of luck to everyone with this condition esp. you synth sounds like you have gotten the worse end of it.

TMJ, in this context, likely refers to problem with the temporomandibular joint, which is essentially the hinge on which the lower jaw swings. That particular portion of the skull, for a variety of reasons, is moderately complex and somewhat problems.

TheSpecterPrincess

I have never been able to sleep a full night with my pacifier in my mouth. Once I go to sleep it slowly slides it's way out. That's why I keep my pink pacifier clip attached to my shirt, so it's not to get lost.