Thread: Holding in your pee?

RainbowShy

Default Holding in your pee?

I always have a habit of holding in my pee. It's mostly because I get so absorbed in routine that I just don't want to go.

That's why I was wondering what could happen if I keep holding it in and not going when my body tells me I have to go... does it damage the bladder in anyway? Sometimes I have to hold it when I struggle to use restrooms other than my own at home. Bottom line is, I'm holding it a lot, even typing this I am holding it because I just don't like having to go and interrupt routine...

It depends on how long you hold it, and how consistently you do. If you hold it until you can't possibly hold it anymore, or close to that level, and you constantly do that, then it can damage your bladder that may effect you later on. I'd suggest only doing this when you absolutely need to (or if you're watching a movie...movies are cool =w=') and going to the bathroom normally to keep everything down there in check.

RainbowShy

That's usually the hard part though. It's one of the reasons I wish I could wear diapers all the time so if I was in one of those really tight situations... I could just let it go in a diaper and not even worry.

funseeker

The medical journals might say to listen to your body. If the pain is great enough you will take action. This applies to me as when I have to go it is a go in a diaper or no diaper.

Traditional medical advice is/was that holding your urine increases the chance of bladder infection (not usually an issue for males, although it turned out to be for me). I don't know if the advice was based on anything more solid than it seems logical and I don't know if it's still current. Ironically, one of the main recommendations for avoiding bladder infections is to drink lots of water.

There is more knowledge in the world than there are facts.
    Last edited by adasterix; 16-Feb-2012 at 15:37. Reason: grammar, alas

Quote Originally Posted by adasterix View Post
    Traditional medical advice is/was that holding your urine increases the chance of bladder infection (not usually an issue for males, although it turned out to be for me). I don't know if the advice was based on anything more solid than it seems logical and I don't know if it's still current. Ironically, one of the main recommendations for avoiding bladder infections is to drink lots of water.

There is more knowledge in the world than there are facts.
    It makes more sense than you give it credit for. Holding in pee is unhealthy because it is full of toxins, but water dilutes the toxins, so even if it's "more full", water makes it less toxic overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephy View Post
    It makes more sense than you give it credit for. Holding in pee is unhealthy because it is full of toxins, but water dilutes the toxins, so even if it's "more full", water makes it less toxic overall.
    Didn't mean to say that I doubted it. Only that I didn't know if it was well founded. It certainly _is_ logical.

The point of the tag line is not that most knowledge is false, but rather there are lots of things we know that we don't actually have justification for. Sometimes we find out we're right; sometimes we find out we're wrong; but most of the time we never have a reason to find out one way or the other.

RainbowShy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterPython View Post
    Not unless you have some other health issues.

The only real health issues I have is autism with severe anxiety. That's the one thing that makes it really hard for me because of routine and comfort issues I have. I won't go to the bathroom in public places, no matter how bad I have to go. I'm not sure why. I just get so anxious about it that my mind goes into an overload mode and I wait until I get home to go. It was the same way at school. Though, it got to the point where I was going to the bathroom even when I didn't have to go... just because I knew it would get me out of class. School was NOT very good to me. TT.TT