Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Diaper Sales are Down

funseeker

Default Diaper Sales are Down

Disposable diaper sales are decreasing by 1% and sales of diaper rash ointment has increased by 8%. This study by Consumer Edge Research did not include on-line sales or Costco and Sams, sales figures. Could this be a trend? Maybe cloth diapers are being considered and used. I am not sure what inflation has done to the cost of a diaper but my guess is the cost has remained steady. The total sales for the adult diaper market seems to be on the increase. Maybe everyone is getting used to diaper rash and wet diaper wearing for longer periods of time.

Does the study also show the birth rate for each period they are using figures for?
    Without knowing the number of babies born in each period, & producing figures showing diaper consumption per baby, these figures are pretty meaningless.
    Adult diaper sales have to be on the increase, as the population is ageing (baby boomers are now retiring) & people are living longer than ever before.

There's been a rather decent recission since 2008 or slightly before that. I'm willing to bet people are holding off from having kid's because they are insanely expensive to raise even in the first 2 years, let alone for 16+ more. plus birth control products are only getting better with time, and there's a lot of single/unmaried people in the US. it's nearing a 50/50 ratio and singles will likely surpass married couples within the next two decades. At least if you want to believe the CNN report I saw yesterday.

either way, I dobut it's just that people are switching to cloth. Most people like convince and will gladly pay for it. Either way even with a 1% drop the diaper industry is still very strong and can stand to leak a lot more consumers. (pun's, use them.)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerboy View Post
    Does the study also show the birth rate for each period they are using figures for?
    Without knowing the number of babies born in each period, & producing figures showing diaper consumption per baby, these figures are pretty meaningless.
    yep, it seems that market saturation is no longer in the business vocabularly.
    (it was unintentional, btw - i realized it once i'd thought it)

I think this has to do with the recession as well. I point to the increase of ointment. Parents are likely trying to pinch pennies where they can therefore trying to use less diapers. This results in diapers being left on longer, causing more rashes, thus the increase of ointment and the decrease of diaper sales.

There is a movement in the upwardly mobile to use cloth diapers, having less impact on the environment. I'm sure that's a very small group, however. I believe I read somewhere that after the recession, couples were putting off having children.

Quote Originally Posted by funseeker View Post
    Disposable diaper sales are decreasing by 1% and sales of diaper rash ointment has increased by 8%. This study by Consumer Edge Research did not include on-line sales or Costco and Sams, sales figures. Could this be a trend? Maybe cloth diapers are being considered and used. I am not sure what inflation has done to the cost of a diaper but my guess is the cost has remained steady. The total sales for the adult diaper market seems to be on the increase. Maybe everyone is getting used to diaper rash and wet diaper wearing for longer periods of time.
    Can you provide a link to the study in question? Looking more closely at its methodology and sample would help interpret the findings.

How much of the decrease in sales is due to better absorbency/capacity and better design? Less changes mean less diapers purchased...