Thread: Trackmania 2 Canyon

Default Trackmania 2 Canyon

Love the game!

I've found it has a rather small population though, I play mostly Fullspeed servers as they're the only servers with a decent amount of players.

It is a little frustrating, but anyone can play it really, the mechanics have changed a bit from Trakmania: United

Anyone here play?

I was turned off of TM after I found out their freeware version had Starforce installed silently with it, but just read that the Steam version of it does not include SF. Do you play on Steam or a stand alone install?

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    I was turned off of TM after I found out their freeware version had Starforce installed silently with it, but just read that the Steam version of it does not include SF. Do you play on Steam or a stand alone install?
    Only Trackmania Sunrise, Nations (free) and Trackmania United (the paid-for version of Nations) used Starforce. Three or four years ago, Nations Forever and United Forever was released. They were effectively an update to the game, and did not include Starforce. A patch was also made available for anyone with the old pre-Forever version, which removed Starforce and turned it into the Forever edition.

So you can play all the old games without Starforce except for Sunrise. As TM Canyon is on Steam, I'm pretty sure it doesn't use Starforce (although, of course, you have to install Steam and connect to the Internet to ask permission ).

But yeah, I got TM Canyon when it came out. It's pretty good, but TM United Forever (its predecessor) is just the best video game ever! I play it occasionally, but I usually run Linux and it always seems like too much effort to close everything down and reboot! Also, it's harder than United and I get frustrated too easily!

Thinking about it, TM United & Canyon are probably the only games I've bought in the last ten years, so if that ain't a recommendation, I don't know what is!

Trackmania United Forever includes all previous environments, without starforce and is also really cheap nowadays.

I bought Canyon during its beta and played a lot... which means somewhere around 100 in ladder position. Yet, it seems kinda dead online already. I partly blame TMs ladder system, which always ends up separating players by time spent and ladder points grinded instead of matching skill, which kinda kills it after some initial fun. Maybe I should still play some time again, as long as there is a techmap server left with players on it...
    Last edited by kapi; 18-Feb-2012 at 03:03.

Quote Originally Posted by kite View Post
    I don't think Trackmania 2 is on steam. Played TMU on steam though.

---------- Post added at 14:32 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Only Trackmania Sunrise, Nations (free) and Trackmania United (the paid-for version of Nations) used Starforce. Three or four years ago, Nations Forever and United Forever was released. They were effectively an update to the game, and did not include Starforce. A patch was also made available for anyone with the old pre-Forever version, which removed Starforce and turned it into the Forever edition.

So you can play all the old games without Starforce except for Sunrise. As TM Canyon is on Steam, I'm pretty sure it doesn't use Starforce (although, of course, you have to install Steam and connect to the Internet to ask permission ).

But yeah, I got TM Canyon when it came out. It's pretty good, but TM United Forever (its predecessor) is just the best video game ever! I play it occasionally, but I usually run Linux and it always seems like too much effort to close everything down and reboot! Also, it's harder than United and I get frustrated too easily!

Thinking about it, TM United & Canyon are probably the only games I've bought in the last ten years, so if that ain't a recommendation, I don't know what is!
    I didn't know it was on steam, just went maniaplanet when it came out XD

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:32 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by walex View Post
    Trackmania United Forever includes all previous environments, without starforce and is also really cheap nowadays.

I bought Canyon during its beta and played a lot... which means somewhere around 100 in ladder position. Yet, it seems kinda dead online already. I partly blame TMs ladder system, which always ends up separating players by time spent and ladder points grinded instead of matching skill, which kinda kills it after some initial fun. Maybe I should still play some time again, as long as there is a techmap server left with players on it...
    cos tech isn't bad, it is a german server though so lag can be an issue at times. I'm around 3,300 world rank lol, as I said though I only really play the fullspeed server and you do get a lot of extremely low ranks there.

Well, your time will be logged with an awkward delay, other than that lag isn't really an issue in tm, is it?

Haven't expirenced it myself in ages though, as european Servers will give me good pings.

Quote Originally Posted by Infallible View Post
    I didn't know it was on steam, just went maniaplanet when it came out XD
    Oh... hang on... You're right! I downloaded it separately too -- I got confused because it has exactly the same drawback as Steam (as I see it): you need to ask their servers for permission to play your own game every time you load it. That's fine if you have an Internet connection (but the time I most want to play games is when that goes down!), and it's okay if their servers are going to work in 20 years time when I want to remind myself what fun the old-fashioned games of the 2010s were... But I resent such interference in the day-to-day running of software like that. It only limits what I can do and makes pirated versions seem more attractive.

There was another game that I was thinking of getting... till I realised it was only available on Steam and decided not to bother.

It's only because I liked TMUF so much that I reluctantly accepted the terms...

Quote Originally Posted by walex View Post
    Well, your time will be logged with an awkward delay, other than that lag isn't really an issue in tm, is it?

Haven't expirenced it myself in ages though, as european Servers will give me good pings.
    It isn't a huge issue, say peak hour when there's 50 odd people on the one server it gets fairly laggy. Probably just because I'm an Australian joining an European server that i'll get some lag, but the european servers seem to be the only ones really active these days.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

Oh... hang on... You're right! I downloaded it separately too -- I got confused because it has exactly the same drawback as Steam (as I see it): you need to ask their servers for permission to play your own game every time you load it. That's fine if you have an Internet connection (but the time I most want to play games is when that goes down!), and it's okay if their servers are going to work in 20 years time when I want to remind myself what fun the old-fashioned games of the 2010s were... But I resent such interference in the day-to-day running of software like that. It only limits what I can do and makes pirated versions seem more attractive.

There was another game that I was thinking of getting... till I realised it was only available on Steam and decided not to bother.

It's only because I liked TMUF so much that I reluctantly accepted the terms...
    Yeah I hate being 'Trapped' into some client as well. And yeah a little less bang for your buck, it definately won't be timeless like the great singleplayer games of old. Like you though I just liked TMU THAT much XD

TMUF really was (is!) great. Within 3 weeks of playing it, I'd developed RSI so bad that I had to limit the use of my right hand for non-TM activities (errr... that sounds like a euphemism, but I didn't mean it that way, honest!) It took months to get rid of it, and I couldn't use a mouse or open a door without it hurting. But it was worth it! I still use a left-handed trackball to this day, a hangover from when I needed my right hand rested to play TM!

And do you remember when, without any announcement or fanfare, the Startrack update was issued -- it was like getting a new game for nothing. "Installing updates... Here's another 100-or-so tracks for you, you nutter." Wooooo!

The only things missing from the game were the ability to create servers for platform tracks (rather than races), and the ability to (more) neatly compile tracks into packages (like a DIY Startrack add-on).

I suppose what I really liked about TMUF was that it made me feel like a kid again. Never in my adult years have I been so excited at playing a game; never before had I counted down the minutes till I could get home and play it again!

Bah! I could ramble on about it for ages. Maybe I should give TM Canyon another chance...

TMUF really was (is!) great. Within 3 weeks of playing it, I'd developed RSI so bad that I had to limit the use of my right hand for non-TM activities (errr... that sounds like a euphemism, but I didn't mean it that way, honest!) It took months to get rid of it, and I couldn't use a mouse or open a door without it hurting. But it was worth it! I still use a left-handed trackball to this day, a hangover from when I needed my right hand rested to play TM!

And do you remember when, without any announcement or fanfare, the Startrack update was issued -- it was like getting a new game for nothing. "Installing updates... Here's another 100-or-so tracks for you, you nutter." Wooooo!

The only things missing from the game were the ability to create servers for platform tracks (rather than races), and the ability to (more) neatly compile tracks into packages (like a DIY Startrack add-on).

I suppose what I really liked about TMUF was that it made me feel like a kid again. Never in my adult years have I been so excited at playing a game; never before had I counted down the minutes till I could get home and play it again!

Bah! I could ramble on about it for ages. Maybe I should give TM Canyon another chance...
    Haha, I can totally relate to the kid part, Games get boring quick with me, but trackmania had me playing like the Sega games of old, constantly :P

I think I must have arrived on the TMU scene after the patch, or I just can't remember XD

Anyway, I'm off to play more canyon ahaha.

If you do start playing again, let me know if you find a decent server.

Peace,
    Infallible