Thread: Forum thread flops

Cherub

Default Forum thread flops

Given the amount of time ADISC has been around, and the number of members it has, I am sure these questions will apply to at least one other person besides myself, lol.

I am wondering; have you ever created a forum thread and it either turned out to be a flop (for whatever reason), or the information it contained later turned out to be inaccurate? How did it make you feel? How did you deal with it? How long did it take you to 'live it down'?

As of late, it seems I've created a few forum flops, and these questions popped into my mind, so I thought they'd make for an interesting thread topic.

To me, it feels about like trying to make a good comment in the middle of a conversation with 'the cool kids' at school. Only to have them look at you, then continue on without even acknowledging said comment. But usually it only stings for a second, because you can either find another group of even cooler kids to talk to, or you can try again. Eventually something will stick and a conversation will begin. I can only remember one flop of mine. (There may have been more, but i only remember one) For about a week i would follow its slow decline on the forum and then i just accepted the fact that no one was interested in that topic and i started posting else where. It really didnt bother me after that.

I've made 1 thread in the Introductions forum, 1 thread in Adult Baby, 1 thread in the EC forum, and 3 threads in the DC forum. I remember being nervous about whether or not I'd get replies for each thread. I don't think any of them flopped though.

I made a thread remembering Clarence Clemens. I don't think anyone responded to it. Zero response may have set the record!

acorn

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    I made a thread remembering Clarence Clemens. I don't think anyone responded to it. Zero response may have set the record!
    If it makes you feel any better, you are not the only one, so you are not alone there.
    Fair to say this treatment goes with the trade, effin unappreciative "astards. Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by acorn View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, you are not the only one, so you are not alone there.
    Fair to say this treatment goes with the trade, effin unappreciative "astards. Nuff said.
    Thanks acorn. Yeah, I guess Clarence Clemons does have it worse. That really sucks, but as they say, it's all about timing.

Interesting fact: I made a thread once, and it flopped - it was a thread to suggest articles you'd like to see someone cover.

Evidently that was a ridiculous idea, nobody is possibly going to resurrect the idea a few months later, definitely not staff, or make it a sticky....

As dogboy said, a lot of the time it comes down to bad timing. The title does a lot as well, I've come across several really interesting threads but with really dull or not very good titles. I I hadn't hovered the mouse over it to see a preview of the content, I'd never have clicked on them.