Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Hair questions, care, tips & tricks thread!!

Default Your Hair questions, care, tips & tricks thread!!

Like the title says, here's where you can ask your hair care questions or share your tips & tricks to managing your hair!!! Now I am hair-illiterate I've always kept my hair short, trimmed or even clean shaved and i'm looking to drastically change that.

I've tried to do a lot of reading online about hair growth & care and this is what I've gotten so far:
    1) Take your mineral's & vitamins
    2) A good nights rest is one of hairs best friends
    3) Sleep on a Silk/Satin pillow case
    4) Only use Shampoo every other day & rinse hair in the coldest water you can stand.
    5) For dry hair do a hot oil treatment once a week & a deep conditioning once a month
    6) Have regular trims to remove dead/slit ends and promote new hair growth
    7) Don't use a blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron or other heating products that can damage the hair.

Now I've started doing these things and can already tell a big difference in the look, feel & over all health of my hair. But there are still questions!!!
    Q: What do you do on days you shower but don't need to wash your hair? Do you still rinse it? cover it?
    Q: How do you fight bed head/messy hair when you don't need to shower/wash?
    Q: How often should you change your shampoo? To prevent build up?

So how do you manage your hair!!! Come sit & chat!!

I feel like the measures you mentioned are a bit extreme. Your hair will grow faster if you just keep trimming dead ends and such.

Personally, I shampoo and conditioner my hair every time i shower. Make sure you let the conditioner sit for a minute, maybe shave while your waiting or brush your teeth (if you do that in the shower). I wouldn't recommend washing your body while you wait because letting conditioner sit on your skin when you rinse it out of your hair can cause acne. Make sure you rinse your hair really really well. Or it'll be greasy.

Vitamins are a good idea for your body in general. And sleep helps everything so that's always a good idea. I don't think the type of pillow case matters, but silk and satin pillow cases are probably pretty comfy =]. If you pick a good shampoo you can wash it every day. It's probably better to wash it everyday to remove all the yucky gross stuff. But if they're advising against showering, then they make 'dry' shampoos for when you don't shower. Don't know how well they work though.

Oil treatments and deep conditioning are probably expensive. You could probably do without, although I bet it'd feel really nice. You can use a blow dryer/curling iron/straighter, but you MUST use a protectant shield thing. I use BedHead straightening serum. It works great, smells good and makes your hair look shinier.

When you shower but don't wash your hair, you could just rinse it. Try not to mess it up too much as it gets tangled, and without conditioner, tangles are hard to brush out. You can use plain water and a comb to fix bed head. You could also try leave in conditioner or some other kind of gel. Change your shampoo every time you run out. If you use up a bottle, buy a different kind next time. Same goes for conditioner (and toothpaste).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRobKY View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysToxxicBabyGirl View Post
    Your hair will grow faster if you just keep trimming dead ends and such.
    Guys seriously. Trimming dead ends will NOT make your hair grow faster. When your hair has left the follicle (that's the bit at your scalp where it grows from) it is dead. That means by the time it has reached the very ends of your hair and become a split end it cannot affect your hair growth in any which way or another.

In saying that, hair with split ends looks yucky, so get them trimmed, but it won't affect your hair growth. Not now, not ever.

This is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Guys seriously. Trimming dead ends will NOT make your hair grow faster. When your hair has left the follicle (that's the bit at your scalp where it grows from) it is dead. That means by the time it has reached the very ends of your hair and become a split end it cannot affect your hair growth in any which way or another.

In saying that, hair with split ends looks yucky, so get them trimmed, but it won't affect your hair growth. Not now, not ever.
    Haha shhhh, pretend!

There's a grain of truth in the "build up" myth, but part of it is just old wives' tale. When it comes to their cleaning properties, shampoos are all basically the same: sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate. That's what actually cleans your hair, and the rest of the ingredients are there for consistency, foam, pH, color, smell, preservation, to provide vitamins to your hair, and (of course) to serve as a gimmick to make you think one product is better than another. According to the first link provided below, shampoo buildup is only really the case when there are proteins and other such chemicals added to deliberately build up on your hair (and, supposedly, to thereby protect it). The solution they recommend: use a basic shampoo and a high-quality conditioner, and that way there will be no build up. See here for more info,.

The other half of the myth, which I think you're alluding to, is that you should switch up your shampoos routinely either because your hair will get used to it or because one shampoo removes the residue that another leaves behind. Beyond what's been said above, this is basically an old wives' tale. Straight from the horse's mouth.

I usually have good results if I wet my hair in the morning re-comb it. The real problem for me is when I shower at night and then fall asleep on damp hair. It's impossible to style in the morning without completely soaking my hair all over again D: Usually I just avoid showering late in the evening whenever I can, but if I really have to, I'll sleep with a hat on to keep my hair in place.

Let me start off by saying that I am a female who has had every hair length from boy-short to long-enough-to-sit-on (the current length). When I was a teenager my hair was excessively oily, later my hair has become more prone to dryness.

Like the title says, here's where you can ask your hair care questions or share your tips & tricks to managing your hair!!! Now I am hair-illiterate I've always kept my hair short, trimmed or even clean shaved and i'm looking to drastically change that.

I've tried to do a lot of reading online about hair growth & care and this is what I've gotten so far:
    1) Take your mineral's & vitamins
    2) A good nights rest is one of hairs best friends
    3) Sleep on a Silk/Satin pillow case
    4) Only use Shampoo every other day & rinse hair in the coldest water you can stand.
    5) For dry hair do a hot oil treatment once a week & a deep conditioning once a month
    7) Don't use a blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron or other heating products that can damage the hair.
    I dunno about 1 & 2, I suppose those are good for your overall general health and thus would be good for your hair. I've never heard of sleeping on a 'slippery' pillowcase helping your hair. I think a "CLEAN" pillowcase is more likely to be healthier for your hair. You actually only need wash your hair with shampoo once a week. You should wash in hot water and rinse in any temperature of water. However, the cold water rinse is good if you have excessively oily hair. I can see people with dry hair having an oil treatment once every month or two (especially if they live in a very dry environment...ie desert). #6 will make your hair look better but in no way will it encourage hair growth. As for #7, it's advisable to only use these things 'as necessary', but again, your hair is already 'dead' so if you take good care of it (using the proper shampoo for your hair type), using a curling or flat-iron will not do any excessive damage to hair (used properly).

Now I've started doing these things and can already tell a big difference in the look, feel & over all health of my hair. But there are still questions!!!
    Q: What do you do on days you shower but don't need to wash your hair? Do you still rinse it? cover it?

So how do you manage your hair!!! Come sit & chat!!
    I only wash my hair once a week (unless I'm going out somewhere).
    For 'bed head' you can rinse your hair, or 'tame' it with water (no need to add soap or shampoo).
    You don't need to change your shampoo 'to avoid build-up' what you need to do is use the appropriate shampoo for your hair type: oily, dry, combination, curly, straight, etc. AND always rinse the shampoo from your hair until the water runs clear (no more bubbles).

Wow. I reckon you're over-thinking things here. I wash my hair every morning. I don't use any special vitamins or hair treatments, don't have a special pillow and my hair is just fine. I wouldn't blow dry it, though...

A long time ago, I'd notice my hair felt dry and frizzy or "unconditioned" after a few days of using the same shampoo, so I just kept changing brands till I found one that worked. If you want to try it, the shampoo I use is Aussie Mega Shampoo, but I guess everyone's hair is different...

I also found that using conditioner seemed to make the problem worse. (I used to take two bottles into the shower, but now I just wash and go... )

Thank you all I really appreciate the comments and tips!! They are very helpful